Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

5 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Clt is nice and close to Spartanburg. Hear that BMW?

I think it will eventually come south and Carolinas will be at the top of the list for sure.  Everybody always denies.  With Lufthansa flying to Munchen their home one day maybe it will move here.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Charlotte was mentioned again by AA management in the quarterly conference call as a highly profitable hub. Analysts asked why AA's profit margin isn't as good as Delta. 

"On the absolute basis, look, margins by region come and go, margins by hub come and go, but what I can tell you right now is Delta has an airline that flies over 40% of their flights in and out of Atlanta, which is a really, really good hub. And if American flew 40% of its flights in and out of Charlotte, we would have a margin advantage there in the business because Charlotte's a really, really good hub. But we don't, so be it."

Great quote.  Have to assume they will fly a higher percentage out of Charlotte once the facility is expanded.  That airport is such an advantage for a city our size and 5 years from now it will be so much more so.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

One thing great about our airport is its already built for the city we will be in 10-30 years so that we don't have to worry about having a crappy airport.

Is it though? We're really playing catch up. Dated terminal, crowded roadway, too small taxiways, not enough immigration stations for summer schedule, etc. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

Is it though? We're really playing catch up. Dated terminal, crowded roadway, too small taxiways, not enough immigration stations for summer schedule, etc. 

plus inadequate parking during peak times, inadequate AC, inadequate transit, limited LCC options and, most importantly, inadequate provision of Bojangles.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, kermit said:

plus inadequate parking during peak times, inadequate AC, inadequate transit, limited LCC options and, most importantly, inadequate provision of Bojangles.

4 hours ago, CLT704 said:

I agree with most (but not all) items listed.  However, I'm really encouraged by how they intend to address these deficiencies.  The terminal, for instance, will go from awful to awesome if renderings are accurate.

14 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Charlotte was mentioned again by AA management in the quarterly conference call as a highly profitable hub. Analysts asked why AA's profit margin isn't as good as Delta. 

"On the absolute basis, look, margins by region come and go, margins by hub come and go, but what I can tell you right now is Delta has an airline that flies over 40% of their flights in and out of Atlanta, which is a really, really good hub. And if American flew 40% of its flights in and out of Charlotte, we would have a margin advantage there in the business because Charlotte's a really, really good hub. But we don't, so be it."

This quote gives me butterflies.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 2:26 PM, saamh said:

Did I miss something? Is AA  adding nonstop flights from Charlotte to Santa Rosa, CA?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Douglas_International_Airport

It shows on the Wikipedia page but I don't see any news on it anywhere...

I would guess that is a typo / somebody messing with Wiki. Sonoma County Airport is very small and the likelihood of AA adding the only mainline service at the airport to CLT and PHL (while over-flying Dallas, Chicago, and LAX hubs) is pretty small. Sonoma County only has a 6,000 foot runway, so I don't even think mainline aircraft with the fuel load for a transcontinental flight could take off without payload restrictions. 

Currently AA only serves Sonoma County from their Phoenix hub 1 - 2 times daily on regional aircraft.

Edited by CLT2014

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

I would guess that is a typo / somebody messing with Wiki. Sonoma County Airport is very small and the likelihood of AA adding the only mainline service at the airport to CLT and PHL (while over-flying Dallas, Chicago, and LAX hubs) is pretty small. Sonoma County only has a 6,000 foot runway, so I don't even think mainline aircraft with the fuel load for a transcontinental flight could take off without payload restrictions. 

Currently AA only serves Sonoma County from their Phoenix hub 1 - 2 times daily on regional aircraft.

That was exactly my thought too that they wouldn't forgo Dallas in favor of Charlotte AND Philly

AA will be resuming CLT-TUS next year. US attempted the route immediately after the HP merger.  

AA is also starting DFW-KEF. TBH, I’m kind of surprised that they didn’t do CLT-KEF. It seems every other major airport has KEF service these days, albeit usually on WOW Air or Icelandair. Icelandair IIRC had traffic rights to CLT-KEF years ago, and I think they ran cargo flights here at one point. 

23 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

AA will be resuming CLT-TUS next year. US attempted the route immediately after the HP merger.  

AA is also starting DFW-KEF. TBH, I’m kind of surprised that they didn’t do CLT-KEF. It seems every other major airport has KEF service these days, albeit usually on WOW Air or Icelandair. Icelandair IIRC had traffic rights to CLT-KEF years ago, and I think they ran cargo flights here at one point. 

DFW-KEF is good old American Airlines / Doug Parker legacy airline retaliation. Icelandair and Wow Air have announced service to DFW and are marketing "one stop service in KEF to Europe" at low fares.  AA is just protecting their hub in DFW and doesn't really want to serve KEF. They just feel like it is the right strategy to try to drive either Icelandair or Wow Air out of the DFW market so they can raise fares to Europe again from DFW once they outlast the competition. 

CLT doesn't have this competition to Europe, so no need to service a niche leisure route like KEF.

Hopefully CLT - TUS sticks around!

Edited by CLT2014