Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

VacationExpress is marketing and selling direct flights between Charlotte and Punta Cana starting Thursday May 24th. Flights will depart Charlotte on Thursday or Saturday for 4 night or 6 night vacations (return flights on Monday or Friday). 

The operator of the flights will be Swift Air with a Boeing 737 aircraft.

VacationExpress is also marketing and selling direct flights between Charlotte and Cancun starting Sunday May 20th. Flights will depart Charlotte on Sunday's and return on Saturday. 

The operator of the flights will be Volaris Airlines with an Airbus A319 aircraft. 

You do not need to book a vacation package with a hotel to book a flight. 

Edited by CLT2014

Airlines moving to the new Concourse A North Summer 2018 : United, Air Canada, Southwest, JetBlue, Frontier, Via Air

Airline remaining in current Concourse A: Delta

Airline expanding into current Concourse A: American

American and Delta will be reconfiguring 16,000 sq ft of ramp level space on the current Concourse A once the other airlines move to the new Concourse A North.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, uptownliving said:

Airlines moving to the new Concourse A North Summer 2018 : United, Air Canada, Southwest, JetBlue, Frontier, Via Air

Airline remaining in current Concourse A: Delta

Airline expanding into current Concourse A: American

American and Delta will be reconfiguring 16,000 sq ft of ramp level space on the current Concourse A once the other airlines move to the new Concourse A North.

I hope this means the airport thinks it will be getting an expansion by airlines like Southwest (who currently has one gate) and jetBlue (also one gate today). The airlines moving to the new Concourse only operate ~47 flights per day today and they manage that in just 7 gates. They will now have 9 gates, so hopefully this results in some expansion by the non-AA airlines and not an under-utilized new terminal. 

Is Delta picking up any gates being vacated or are they sticking with their current 5 gates in Concourse A?

Edited by CLT2014

43 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

I hope this means the airport thinks it will be getting an expansion by airlines like Southwest (who currently has one gate) and jetBlue (also one gate today). The airlines moving to the new Concourse only operate ~47 flights per day today and they manage that in just 7 gates. They will now have 9 gates, so hopefully this results in some expansion by the non-AA airlines and not an under-utilized new terminal. 

American is the only airline running nonstop to LAX, SAN and PHX with a total of 17 flights a day.  I would love to see Southwest cut into that with some flights.  

32 minutes ago, cjd5050 said:

American is the only airline running nonstop to LAX, SAN and PHX with a total of 17 flights a day.  I would love to see Southwest cut into that with some flights.  

We might get PHX on Southwest as they can provide connections through their focus city. I think LAX and SAN are doubtful. Southwest doesn't like to operate many trans-continental flights unless it is to their focus cities in Baltimore or Atlanta (plus some Florida nonstops to the West Coast). Other than those, they tend to prefer to schedule their planes for 1 hour - 3 hours in the air.  I think it would be great if they increased the frequency on their Texas flights to 3 times per day as well. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

We might get PHX on Southwest as they can provide connections through their focus city. I think LAX and SAN are doubtful. Southwest doesn't like to operate many trans-continental flights unless it is to their focus cities in Baltimore or Atlanta (plus some Florida nonstops to the West Coast). Other than those, they tend to prefer to schedule their planes for 1 hour - 3 hours in the air.  I think it would be great if they increased the frequency on their Texas flights to 3 times per day as well. 

Makes sense.  Still a bummer.  Would love some competition to SAN.  :(

• Like 1

Will the new facility be CUTE?

That's interesting that DL is remaining in Concourse A-I would have thought that they would have moved for sure to Concourse A North, especially considering that I've heard multiple rumors that they would be opening up a Sky Club in the new concourse. 

I wonder how many gates AA will take over, and if DL will take over any gates as well...

I honestly can't see DL expanding too much out of CLT-they already fly to JFK/LGA/ATL/SLC/DTW/MSP/CVG. I highly doubt they would attempt CLT-SLC. Maybe CLT-BOS if they continue to grow their micro-hub there. Likewise for UA-even though I believe a CLT-SFO is warranted. I took UA home from SFO the other night (I flew SFO-ORD-CLT) and roughly 25-30 people transferred from my SFO flight onward to my CLT flight. 

I'd like to see Alaska/Virgin start CLT, but apparently CLT isn't even on AS's "wish-list" per say.

10 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Will the new facility be CUTE?

That's interesting that DL is remaining in Concourse A-I would have thought that they would have moved for sure to Concourse A North, especially considering that I've heard multiple rumors that they would be opening up a Sky Club in the new concourse. 

I wonder how many gates AA will take over, and if DL will take over any gates as well...

I honestly can't see DL expanding too much out of CLT-they already fly to JFK/LGA/ATL/SLC/DTW/MSP/CVG. I highly doubt they would attempt CLT-SLC. Maybe CLT-BOS if they continue to grow their micro-hub there. Likewise for UA-even though I believe a CLT-SFO is warranted. I took UA home from SFO the other night (I flew SFO-ORD-CLT) and roughly 25-30 people transferred from my SFO flight onward to my CLT flight. 

I'd like to see Alaska/Virgin start CLT, but apparently CLT isn't even on AS's "wish-list" per say.

Do you mean SEA, DL flies to SLC from CLT? 

I find it interesting as well that DL is remaining in Concourse A, I would have loved for them to move to A North since they are my preferred airline and fly them often.  

3 hours ago, jtmonk said:

Do you mean SEA, DL flies to SLC from CLT? 

I find it interesting as well that DL is remaining in Concourse A, I would have loved for them to move to A North since they are my preferred airline and fly them often.  

Perhaps they will back fill a North as the expansion there continues.

And what is probably the most interesting route announcement in a good while, AA is starting CLT-ACK next summer on an Embraer 175. Flight will operate once weekly on Saturdays. 

ACK is the airport code for Nantucket, MA.

I say interesting simply because until now, the Cape didn't have any service outside of the Northeast. AA doesn't even do PHL-ACK. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LKN704 said:

And what is probably the most interesting route announcement in a good while, AA is starting CLT-ACK next summer on an Embraer 175. Flight will operate once weekly on Saturdays. 

I say interesting simply because until now, the Cape didn't have any service outside of the Northeast. AA doesn't even do PHL-ACK. 

But will Tim Daly pilot the route?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LKN704 said:

I once knew a man from there...

• Like 3

On 12/19/2017 at 9:15 PM, cltbwimob said:

Looks as if FedEx has added a 2x weekly round trip cargo flight to LAX and UPS has started a Raleigh-Charlotte- Columbia flight, a Philly-CLT-Columbia flight and a Louisville-CLT-Columbia flight.  Seems like air cargo is really starting to take off. 

I misspoke, the Louisville-CLT-Columbia flight is actually an Orlando-CLT-Columbia flight.

10 minutes ago, Cadi40 said:

Does anyone know if the City of a Charlotte is still trying to implement the plan of adding lots of retail and office around the airport? https://www.google.com/amp/amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article119066523.html

Its the airports plan, and it will definitely move forward. They want to create a huge commercial/industrial node connected to uptown by transit via Wilkinson.

Edited by Guest