Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

I would love that, I saw in the plans it include multiple urban centers filled with retail and hotels. I have also seen an entertainment center and an airport hotel in the plans. Hope this all works out and intermingles with the River District to become one huge transit oriented urban center. 

• 2 weeks later...

Flying CLT-LHR, pushed back on time at 8:25.  We were god knows how far back in line for take off, and once our fully loaded A330-300 got to the threshold of 36C,  we sat.  And sat.

Apparently there was a shift in the winds and, while most planes can take off in a slight tailwind, not a fully loaded heavy full of fuel on only a 10,000 foot runway.  

Tower wouldn’t let us go to the other end until all the inbound traffic cleared, now we are finally at 18C and they still won’t let us depart because of incoming (opposite direction) traffic.

It is now 9:40.

We need that damn 12,000 foot runway.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

I was in B today and it appears that there are some "new" ceiling tiles installed at the far end of the course. I can only hope that they are temporary as they seemed relatively cheap looking...it almost reminded me of the ceiling inside a trailer. There seemed to be some sort of LED lighting installed too...it was definitely brighter than before but now it seemed too bright! Almost like being in a hospital with the white walls, white ceiling tiles, and while support beams. 

On a different note, it's too bad that concourses are now considered non-public areas. I seem to recall many airports having open-houses/opening events when new concourses/terminals  opened in the pre-9/11 days.

14 hours ago, kickazzz2000 said:

We need that damn 12,000 foot runway.  

I'm still relatively new to Charlotte, but I've only heard about a *new* 12,000 foot runway. What's the time frame for that runway, and has there ever been any serious consideration of extending an existing runway? Seems crazy that Charlotte hasn't addressed the runway length issue already in some way. AFAICT, there's not a single runway in NC longer than 10,000ft. Even GSP's got an 11,000 footer.

2 minutes ago, Exile said:

I'm still relatively new to Charlotte, but I've only heard about a *new* 12,000 foot runway. What's the time frame for that runway, and has there ever been any serious consideration of extending an existing runway? Seems crazy that Charlotte hasn't addressed the runway length issue already in some way. AFAICT, there's not a single runway in NC longer than 10,000ft. Even GSP's got an 11,000 footer.

Planning is well underway for the 4th runway.

http://www.cltairport.com/News/Pages/DestinationCLTProjects.aspx

Environmental Impact Statement - 2016-2020
Design - 2019-2020
Construction start - 2020
Completion - 2022
Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

Jerry Orr, from what I remember, had received EIS approval on 2 different occasions to extend 18C-36C to 12,000ft. Seemingly they didn't want to close W Blvd to do so.  They probably could have done so with extending both ends by 1000ft, with displaced landing thresholds, but after all said & done, it will have taken 20+ years for a longer runway from when it was first approved and at a much higher cost.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 12:26 PM, CLT2014 said:

Planning is well underway for the 4th runway.

http://www.cltairport.com/News/Pages/DestinationCLTProjects.aspx

Environmental Impact Statement - 2016-2020
Design - 2019-2020
Construction start - 2020
Completion - 2022

I am not an engineer or into construction so please take this question with a grain of salt but isn't 4 years a long time for an Environmental Impact Study?

14 minutes ago, saamh said:

I am not an engineer or into construction so please take this question with a grain of salt but isn't 4 years a long time for an Environmental Impact Study?

As with transit projects, I think the issue is that the area of coverage for an EIS is enormous. In this case, producing updated noise maps, public meetings, etc, etc. 

New American Eagle flights being launched:

Twice daily to Panama City, Florida on CRJ-700 aircraft.
http://chipleyobserver.com/news/general/northwest-florida-beaches-international-airport-welcome-american-airlines/

• Depart CLT 11:35 a.m. Arrive ECP 12:25 p.m.
  • Depart CLT 7:25 p.m. Arrive ECP 8:15 p.m.
  • Depart ECP 7:45 a.m. Arrive CLT 10:35 a.m.
  • Depart ECP 3:00 p.m. Arrive CLT 5:50 p.m.

Service is also supposed to begin June 7th between Charlotte and South Bend, Indiana twice daily on a CRJ-700 aircraft.

http://wsbt.com/news/local/south-bend-airport-reportedly-adding-flight-to-charlotte-nc

• Like 1

Maybe some news here in the otherwise bland reporting of the above info in the Observer today.

Sounds like AA is at capacity with international flights at CLT until the new space comes online.  I don't think they have talked about this constraint before as a reason why no new international here.  Hopefully 2019 is the year we get 1/2 new international flights.  Personally I am most interested in Amsterdam as I go at least 2x a year.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article195445764.html#storylink=hpdigest

• Like 3

1 hour ago, navigator319 said:

Personally I am most interested in Amsterdam as I go at least 2x a year.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article195445764.html#storylink=hpdigest

AA could use additional flights to AMS. They are far behind Delta (who operates a hub with KLM there) and United (flights from four hubs). 

AA just has one year round flight from PHL on a 757 and a seasonal 777 from DFW. If AA could start rotating some international aircraft smaller than an A330-200 through CLT, then a destination like AMS might be viable. 

Amsterdam has traditionally been the weakest TATL destination on US Airways, and pre-merger, AA did not even fly to Amsterdam. 

Realistically speaking, the only TATL destinations I can see AA starting from CLT would be a resumption of Manchester.

I could see AA adding CLT-PTY/GUA. US formerly flew CLT-GUA for a few years-I believe the flight ended back in 2008 or so. GRU could return if the Brazilian economy improves.

I could see a seasonal CLT-YVR flight, but they could theoretically start that flight now, as YVR has pre-clearance. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

Realistically speaking, the only TATL destinations I can see AA starting from CLT would be a resumption of Manchester.

One of the biggest reasons why MAN failed  was the fact it was operated using a 757. It didn't have the cargo haul that could have helped make it profitable. Of course the timing of the flight wasn't great either: departing MAN at 2:30ish and arriving in CLT at 6:30ish. Even after it was cancelled,it was rumored to be resumed at a later date. 

Beside MAN and GRU, the only other destination I could see added (but very unlikely) is Venice. It's a lot like the Rome flight; I'm always surprised how long FCO has stuck around, 8 years this summer! 

Along with year round extensions of DUB (if Aer Lingus ever join oneworld), MAD and CDG. 

Edited by CLT704

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, uptownliving said:

The Airport is soliciting design bids for Phase 2 and 3 of Concourse A North. Each phase will be 9 gate expansions. Nothing really new here but just evidence that the process is moving forward.

My thoughts on this expansion moving forward is that it will allow Delta to move to A North after Phase 2 is complete. That move will in turn give the current A Concourse to American Airlines allowing for them to add more flights to their hub. As part of this expansion they also want to move all Non-American Airlines to a new ticketing lobby and security screening connected to A North. This will separate the car traffic for Drop Off and Pick Up which I see as needed today.

Bids are due March 1st, I expect this to go up for City Council vote before the end of 2Q18.

Awesome!!! So glad this is finally moving along.

I'll have to post the PDF of the plans here (I'll look for them now), but yes Concourse A North will eventually become its own terminal (the OAL Terminal, as the city calls it) complete with a full ticketing lobby, baggage claim, and new terminal roadway. IIRC, the plan is to have "island-style" check in rows as seen in most new major airports today. 

Edit: Here are the selected alternatives for the OAL Terminal Landside area:

image.png.b42433d98214383cf22ef86c926fb63b.png

image.png.ad8cfbe83b16f38a021531db3165a55e.png

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Phillydog said:

^ would CLT undertake construction without a commitment from AA to expand, or is this a fishing expedition?

We are just at the soliciting bids for design stage...but even that will be a multi million dollar commitment. But yeah CLT would not be moving forward on this if it did not have the approval of the airlines at the airport (including AA).

FWIW, the remodel on B is moving along. Terrazzo flooring prep began at the end of the concourse on Friday night. Sadly, what I thought was going to be a higher ceiling in B is exactly the same height it was before.  The new lighting is OK, but the celotex is as plain jane as you can get. Disappointed.