Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

6 hours ago, HighRiseHillbilly said:

I gotta be honest with y'all....my eyes glazed right over every post in this thread until I had to drop someone off at the airport the other day. Even though I didn’t go in and they aren't done, that place looks leaps & bounds better than it used to.

Guess I got some catch up reading to do now.

In five years, you will really be impressed...

• Like 1

Tampa has a very nice airport (ours won't compare even after the renovation).  However, there is something to be said for avoiding two trains to get from your gate to the car rental garage).  And I'm sure ours will be much less expensive (which is our biggest advantage).  Terminals at CLT feel like a war zone right now though...

16 minutes ago, JBS said:

Tampa has a very nice airport (ours won't compare even after the renovation).  However, there is something to be said for avoiding two trains to get from your gate to the car rental garage).  And I'm sure ours will be much less expensive (which is our biggest advantage).  Terminals at CLT feel like a war zone right now though...

I was curious to why you made such a statement about the caliber of airport TPA is as compared to what CLT will be so I looked up some pics and vids.  TPA funnels flyers to the central terminal building using trams, I'm guessing wheeled, from the concourses.  Sort of like a hub and spoke concept.  Its a novel idea and probably a good idea at the time but you are probably right about the financials.  I'm sure the maintenance cost for the trams and bridges are significant.  The hotel incorporated in to the termianl is nice but CLT can't justify that now.

The pics of the main termial are good.  I think the food/retail options are what put it over the top of CLT.   But I think it is just right for a toursit destination such as Tampa area.  Exterior kind of reminds me of McCarron with the parking garage configuration.  CLT has some catching up to do though.  Tampa is mature city  compared to Charlotte so the infrastructure disparity shows.  Thanks for the info though next time I'm in Tampa I won't be so confused about how TPA looks from Veterans expressway. 

41 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

can't wait to use these ;-)

23 minutes ago, uptownliving said:

On today's American Airlines 1Q Earnings Call the management repeatedly singled out the CLT hub as one that they will be growing as they gain more gates. So expect more new flight announcements as AA exapnds into Concourse A and in Concourse E.

They mentioned 7 (I think) new gates online in 2019.  Was that the E expansion?  

59 minutes ago, uptownliving said:

On today's American Airlines 1Q Earnings Call the management repeatedly singled out the CLT hub as one that they will be growing as they gain more gates. So expect more new flight announcements as AA exapnds into Concourse A and in Concourse E.

Sounds like the only thing holding back our move up the total passenger leaders list is capacity (which is pretty cool).

20 hours ago, teeg said:

They mentioned 7 (I think) new gates online in 2019.  Was that the E expansion?  

i would bet its expanding into A as united, swa, air canada jet blue frontier and spirit move into the new A concourse.  leaving those gates open for AA.

when e construction is complete it seems to me (working up there all the time) that we will have roughly the same number of gates.  just they will have bridges on most of them instead of walking outside.  the signs in E go to 50, by my count we should end up with about 45.

• Like 1