Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

On 5/2/2018 at 5:26 PM, KJHburg said:

Airport pick up this evening.  and wow Bojangles is really going to cause passengers to miss their connections with all their signage.  I got there early and walked from end of E to A wow is our airport large.   I have not been to E in years because I always fly the big jets. 

I first discovered Bojangles when I was in college and it was just a Charlotte chain.  I went there every weekend with friends.  That was a loooong time ago.  We don't have Bojangles where I live, which is fine I guess because the food is bad for you.  But whenever I'm back visiting in NC and SC, I make an exception and stop by a Bojangles at least once during my visit.  I need my once-in-a-blue-moon Bojangles fix.  Sometimes I get my fix there at the airport.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2018 at 12:21 AM, saamh said:

Yea to my surprise I did the research, the other cities that I mentioned aren’t very close with their respective airline hub operations... London for instance has about 514 flights a day...

Pleasantly surprised and impressed that Charlotte is in the top 3 it seems of airline hub operations by respective airline flight movements

I think Charlotte is mostly a pass-through airport.  People come there to change planes.  Charlotte is not their destination.  I see two measures of "busiest airports in the world" -- one is airplane movements and the other is passenger movements.  For airplane movements, Charlotte is ranked 7th.  And it's ahead of Heathrow, which is 12th:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_busiest_airports_by_aircraft_movements

But in terms of passenger movements, Heathrow is far ahead of Charlotte.  Charlotte places 32nd in that measure while Heathrow is 7th.  I've been through Heathrow and yes, there is a very notable difference.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_busiest_airports_by_passenger_traffic   That airport is huge, and people everywhere.

Atlanta, by the way, is #1 in both categories.

Edited by JacksonH
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2018 at 9:05 PM, Crucial_Infra said:

This is true and I don't think anyone was under the illusion that CLT was one of the busiest in terms of passenger enplanements..  though I still find it impressive that CLT is ranked 32nd in the world  in that category.  As is often the case, Charlotte punches way above its weight and should feel proud/grateful to be this good/fortunate.

Well that's true.  There are 193 countries in the world, so being the 32nd busiest airport means the airport in Charlotte is bigger than any airport in the vast majority of countries throughout the world.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2018 at 1:48 PM, JacksonH said:

Well that's true.  There are 193 countries in the world, so being the 32nd busiest airport means the airport in Charlotte is bigger than any airport in the vast majority of countries throughout the world.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there sort of a mix on how exactly an airport's activity is measured? I've seen some lists that measure an airport's "business" by  amount of passengers, cargo, and number of flights. The results of the numbers didn't seem to create that great of a disparity in the rankings, but there was a slight difference. If I recall correctly, Charlotte was ranked slightly higher when judged by number of flights.

12 minutes ago, Hunted said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there sort of a mix on how exactly an airport's activity is measured? I've seen some lists that measure an airport's "business" by  amount of passengers, cargo, and number of flights. The results of the numbers didn't seem to create that great of a disparity in the rankings, but there was a slight difference. If I recall correctly, Charlotte was ranked slightly higher when judged by number of flights.

You are on the right track.  In 2017, CLT was #7 in the world based on the number of flights, #31 based on passengers.    I cannot remember ever seeing Charlotte on a top cargo list, though, or at least not an international one.  

• Thanks 1

While it is nicer and brighter than the previous setup, I still find the project overall disappointing.  Merely just putting lipstick on a pig and calling it good. It's not going to address the current issues with crowding and gate lice, especially during peak hours.  I do wonder how many useful years B/C have left in them before they are decommissioned. 

7 hours ago, LKN704 said:

While it is nicer and brighter than the previous setup, I still find the project overall disappointing.  Merely just putting lipstick on a pig and calling it good. It's not going to address the current issues with crowding and gate lice, especially during peak hours.  I do wonder how many useful years B/C have left in them before they are decommissioned. 

As soon as American Airlines determines it is a priority for CLT to rebuild the concourse it will happen. AA is in the driver seat for that decision, not the airport, based on the relationship. 

I think AA will ride this out as long as possible to keep their costs low. They don't care if the gate is crowded... they are about to pack you in a crappy airplane anyhow.

Edited by CLT2014

37 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

As soon as American Airlines determines it is a priority for CLT to rebuild the concourse it will happen. AA is in the driver seat for that decision, not the airport, based on the relationship. 

I think AA will ride this out as long as possible to keep their costs low. They don't care if the gate is crowded... they are about to pack you in a crappy airplane anyhow.

The word “crappy” definitely works for the planes out of Charlotte... The legacy usairways planes that are mostly used out of Charlotte are so bad in comparison to the newer AA planes that are more utilized out of JFK, LAX, MIA, Chicago, DFW...

1 hour ago, saamh said:

The word “crappy” definitely works for the planes out of Charlotte... The legacy usairways planes that are mostly used out of Charlotte are so bad in comparison to the newer AA planes that are more utilized out of JFK, LAX, MIA, Chicago, DFW...

Now that US Airways leadership is in charge of the combined American Airlines, those planes with the seat back IFE operating out of the legacy AA hubs, etc... won't be ordered any longer. Those planes were ordered prior to the merger by the former AA leadership. New AA will no longer invest in seat back IFE in domestic aircraft (see pictures of the 737 Max 8 below which will be the next 92 aircraft delivered). The 737 Max 8 offers 30 inch pitch (vs 31 - 32 inches on a ex-US A320/21), the smallest lavatories flying in the United States which got in an extra row of seats, no IFE, ultra-thin seats, smaller armrests, and no divider wall between first class and economy to get in an extra row of seats). It will come with a clip in the seat in front of you to hold your personal device since domestic aircraft going forward won't have seat back IFE.

AA also has 100 A321 Neo aircraft on order that will be delivered without seat back IFE as well in a configuration similar to the 737 Max 8. 

AA-737MAX-tablet-holder-and-tray-table.jpg?fit=1024%2C1024px&ssl=1 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I was in DFW's terminal E yesterday. Its SUBSTANTIALLY worse. 

dont forget how terrible lga is and ord is pretty nasty and narrow.  

at this point, i think PIT was the widest and best laid out hub.  everywhere is too narrow.  even atlanta is more similar clt.

Attention discount ticket shoppers: Your trip to the Alamo and River Walk has arrived.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/05/17/charlotte-douglas-adding-new-low-cost-seasonal.html

Frontier's flights between Charlotte and San Antonio will begin August 12th, with service on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday

Promo fares begin at $59 one way. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Now that US Airways leadership is in charge of the combined American Airlines, those planes with the seat back IFE operating out of the legacy AA hubs, etc... won't be ordered any longer. Those planes were ordered prior to the merger by the former AA leadership. New AA will no longer invest in seat back IFE in domestic aircraft (see pictures of the 737 Max 8 below which will be the next 92 aircraft delivered). The 737 Max 8 offers 30 inch pitch (vs 31 - 32 inches on a ex-US A320/21), the smallest lavatories flying in the United States which got in an extra row of seats, no IFE, ultra-thin seats, smaller armrests, and no divider wall between first class and economy to get in an extra row of seats). It will come with a clip in the seat in front of you to hold your personal device since domestic aircraft going forward won't have seat back IFE.

AA also has 100 A321 Neo aircraft on order that will be delivered without seat back IFE as well in a configuration similar to the 737 Max 8. 

AA-737MAX-tablet-holder-and-tray-table.jpg?fit=1024%2C1024px&ssl=1 

Do you know whether they have the USB outlets or Power outlets? that’s my biggest issue more than anything else... I knew about the IFE and I wouldn’t have a problem with it if not for the less movie options available for streaming on GoGo vs what’s available on IFE...

8 minutes ago, saamh said:

Do you know whether they have the USB outlets or Power outlets? that’s my biggest issue more than anything else... I knew about the IFE and I wouldn’t have a problem with it if not for the less movie options available for streaming on GoGo vs what’s available on IFE...

Yes, they have a power outlet under every seat and USB by the  screen holder. Legacy A319 and Legacy A320 aircraft from US Airways are also getting in seat power at every seat as they add Main Cabin Extra and boost the number of seats in the aircraft by a row (add MCE and then take leg room away from everybody else / install slimmer seats). This will line up the row numbers with the legacy AA aircraft so they can swap planes back and forth on routes easier. 

Legacy US-A321 aircraft are not getting in seat power as these are just getting new seat covers rather than the ultra-slim seats and will eventually be replaced by the A321 Neo.

Edited by CLT2014

45 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Yes, they have a power outlet under every seat and USB by the  screen holder. Legacy A319 and Legacy A320 aircraft from US Airways are also getting in seat power at every seat as they add Main Cabin Extra and boost the number of seats in the aircraft by a row (add MCE and then take leg room away from everybody else / install slimmer seats). This will line up the row numbers with the legacy AA aircraft so they can swap planes back and forth on routes easier. 

Legacy US-A321 aircraft are not getting in seat power as these are just getting new seat covers rather than the ultra-slim seats and will eventually be replaced by the A321 Neo.

Thanks for insight! This is making me want to consider changing my airline loyalty to Delta :tw_grimace:

On 5/17/2018 at 4:46 PM, CLT2014 said:

Not true. All legacy US planes are getting new interiors and seating with power. AA is spending nearly $1 billion on "Project Oasis" which will replace all cabin interiors (new overhead bins, lighting, seats, side walls, and updated galleys). The entire fleet will also have satellite wifi with streaming capabilities (10 A319s already have it, all 737-800 MAX jets are arriving on property with it). 

I prefer the "bring your own device model". You log in and can watch 120 films, see live TV, log into Netfilx, Amazon, or Hulu, and if you want to pay, you can surf the web.

• Like 1