Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Well, JetBlue is finally adding a much needed 3rd flight from CLT-BOS. I think there’s more to come on this front with JetBlue service into CLT. They actually do well here. (I know, hard to believe with just 4 flights a day) I feel there trying to balance out where they don’t piss AA off to much, but build a good frontprint in a big business market of there’s. 

Cant wait to see them in the new Acon!

This schedule below seems a bit odd. I personally thought a 10am, 3pm 8pm departure would be good. Then eventually add a 6am departure from CLT. This is still far out and of course and  subject to change. I’m very excited to see this! Been about 6 years since JetBlue has added a flight. 

85655D70-3D04-46A8-8274-4924F566F80A.jpeg

Edited by JetBlueCLT
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, JetBlueCLT said:

Well, JetBlue is finally adding a much needed 3rd flight from CLT-BOS. I think there’s more to come on this front with JetBlue service into CLT. They actually do well here. (I know, hard to believe with just 4 flights a day) I feel there trying to balance out where they don’t piss AA off to much, but build a good frontprint in a big business market of there’s. 

Cant wait to see them in the new Acon!

This schedule below seems a bit odd. I personally thought a 10am, 3pm 8pm departure would be good. Then eventually add a 6am departure from CLT. This is still far out and of course and  subject to change. I’m very excited to see this! Been about 6 years since JetBlue has added a flight. 

85655D70-3D04-46A8-8274-4924F566F80A.jpeg

I am still patiently waiting for a CLT-FLL flight... The prices between Charlotte to South Florida are ridiculous 

1 hour ago, saamh said:

I am still patiently waiting for a CLT-FLL flight... The prices between Charlotte to South Florida are ridiculous 

I’ve been waiting since they ended it. They’ll add it back eventually, FLL is too big for JetBlue  to not connect CLT. 

Hopefully when they do, people actually use it....

Edited by JetBlueCLT
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, JetBlueCLT said:

I’ve been waiting since they ended it. They’ll add it back eventually, FLL is too big for JetBlue  to not connect CLT. 

Hopefully when they do, people actually use it....

Thats problematic. We usually have to defer to Concord to FLL via Allegiant but seats are extremely limited due to the popularity of cost and NS flights.

I will say that Concord is MUCH easier to get in and out of so there's that.

Flying through DFW, I see AA still has "NC" after Charlotte.  In Philly, same thing.  I just don't get it.

Also, not understanding why Norwegian or WOW not adding a Carolina destination...in part because of the number of college students within 2 hours of CLT or RDU and the attractiveness of the mountains and OBX to adventure travelers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

Thats problematic. We usually have to defer to Concord to FLL via Allegiant but seats are extremely limited due to the popularity of cost and NS flights.

I will say that Concord is MUCH easier to get in and out of so there's that.

That’s a nice thought. I’ll take CLT any day over Concord.

Plus it’s about 45 minute drive from my area.....that’s if there isn’t any traffic....... No thank you lol. I can see why it’s “easier”, but CLT is just as easy in my opinion. 

I can definitely see some lower cost airlines entering the Charlotte market with operations out of Concord Regional.  The airport can handle up to 30 flights a week through the new commercial terminal that opened about 2 years ago..http://www.independenttribune.com/news/expansion-keeps-business-booming-at-concord-regional-airport/article_9fb1997e-2b15-11e6-9cef-0f60a97f07f7.html

Edited by rancenc

City Council approved the Concourse A Renovation construction contract tonight for $42M. Construction will start soon and wrap up by 4Q 2019.  Once complete this concourse will house American and Delta.

Concourse A will receive the same treatment that Concourse B is currently getting:

-New Ceilings

-New Wall Finishes

-LED Lighting

-New Seating

-New Carpet/Terrazzo Flooring

-New HVAC, Restrooms, Fire Controls

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, xapostrophe said:

Great news. Hopefully they can go a little quicker this time.  Feels like it's taking forever in b

It very well might as teams get more efficient at doing something similar.   However most of the time on construction projects like these are waiting to avoid disruptions to normal operations.  If they closed everything and completed the job, it would go far faster.  

15 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I really wish Delta added a SkyClub in CLT. Especially when they have clubs in NOLA, Jax and PBI, FLL, RAL. 

I think it is doubtful until Delta gets more gates and they expand to reach the critical mass to justify a lounge. Today CLT would have one of the smallest passenger counts in the Sky Club network for Delta. We pretty much just have standard service to some of the DL hubs (not SEA or LAX) and opening up a club likely won't convert most local companies like BofA, Lowe's, WFC, EY, Grant Thorton, Electrolux, Nucor, etc.... off of the American nonstop flights to a more diverse set of cities than Delta's service to just NYC, Atlanta, SLC, Detroit, Minneapolis, and Cincinnati. 

The other cities you mention are all much larger airports for Delta or the club serves strategic importance to be the premium carrier in the market (for example they are #1 in market share in Jacksonville and the club helps them keep premium travelers off Southwest). 

Annual Delta Passengers:
FLL: 3,234,000 (183% more than CLT, #4 airline but #1 non-LCC)
RDU: 2,562,000 (124% more than CLT, #1 airline + international flight)
New Orleans (MSY): 1,949,000 (71% more than CLT, #2 airline but #1 non-LCC)
Palm Beach (PBI): 1,626,000 (43% more than CLT, #2 airline but #1 non-LCC)
Jacksonville (JAX): 1,320,000 (16% more than CLT, #1 airline)
Charlotte: 1,141,000

Some other airports with a good amount more Delta passengers than CLT and don't have a Sky Club today (our competition to getting a lounge):
Las Vegas: 3,817,000
Phoenix: 2,284,000
Baltimore: 1,816,000
Austin: 1,690,000
Kansas City: 1,529,000
St. Louis: 1,218,000

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

I think it is doubtful until Delta gets more gates and they expand to reach the critical mass to justify a lounge. Today CLT would have one of the smallest passenger counts in the Sky Club network for Delta. We pretty much just have standard service to some of the DL hubs (not SEA or LAX) and opening up a club likely won't convert most local companies like BofA, Lowe's, WFC, EY, Grant Thorton, Electrolux, Nucor, etc.... off of the American nonstop flights to a more diverse set of cities than Delta's service to just NYC, Atlanta, SLC, Detroit, Minneapolis, and Cincinnati. 

The other cities you mention are all much larger airports for Delta or the club serves strategic importance to be the premium carrier in the market (for example they are #1 in market share in Jacksonville and the club helps them keep premium travelers off Southwest). 

Annual Delta Passengers:
FLL: 3,234,000 (183% more than CLT, #4 airline but #1 non-LCC)
RDU: 2,562,000 (124% more than CLT, #1 airline + international flight)
New Orleans (MSY): 1,949,000 (71% more than CLT, #2 airline but #1 non-LCC)
Palm Beach (PBI): 1,626,000 (43% more than CLT, #2 airline but #1 non-LCC)
Jacksonville (JAX): 1,320,000 (16% more than CLT, #1 airline)
Charlotte: 1,141,000

Some other airports with a good amount more Delta passengers than CLT and don't have a Sky Club today (our competition to getting a lounge):
Las Vegas: 3,817,000
Phoenix: 2,284,000
Baltimore: 1,816,000
Austin: 1,690,000
Kansas City: 1,529,000
St. Louis: 1,218,000

Austin and Phoenix have been announced for 2018. Vegas has a contractual agreement to NOT have a club until 2020. I believe KC's limitation is their Airport- either about to be rebuilt or massively revamped, it is so small currently, I don't see space for one. I think that count will increase at CLT when more gates are available at A. Delta would love to be able to take any marketshare from CLT and move it through the ATL hub, and for many of the expensive international routes that require a connection through ATL, Delta isn't competing with AA as much as other carriers through NY or Dulles (Asia/South America/Africa) that may be codesharing with AA. I think Delta is about spending money to increase customer experience right now and as Charlotte's #2 carrier, I could see a sky club in the future. I live in ATL and fly to CLT a few times a year. I selfishly am hoping...

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin

Ashley Air is launching service between Charlotte and Tunica, MS (Memphis area alternate airport) and Charlotte and Orlando/Sanford. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/06/01/mississippi-airport-relaunching-flights-to-atlanta.html

Service is Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday on an ERJ-145 aircraft operated by Elite Air. You can book flights to Tunica or Orlando/Sanford directly on their website. Seems like flights tend to be around ~$120 each way. 

6 hours ago, navigator319 said:

Business Insider had a recent article saying the 9 new gates CLT is building will allow AA to add 50 new flights which they want to do.

Well, AA is picking up 7 of the 13 gates on the current Acon. So that sounds about right. We have 9 banks of flights a day so technically IF all 7 of those gates are fully utilized in every bank, that number could be up to 63 additional flights. 

Regardless, this is much needed for AAs growth here in Charlotte. 

• Like 3