Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Two thing. Firstly can anyone explain why the two signs are different colors? Driving my OCD insane. Are they just not lit up yet? 

And secondly, can someone come up with a logical reason why the new gates start at A21 and not 14? Why the huge jump?

Ick. Again, its shameful that CLT paid that firm all that money to create a standard wayfinding singage design to be used throughout the terminal...especially considering that they did work for Changi (which has beautiful, elegant, yet simply singage). 

It looks to me that the first signs are equipped with backlit lighting, which makes the blue appear to be a different shade. The second group of signs are basically just printed poster board, and also can be found above the gates in the B concourse. They look incredibly cheap and tacky, IMO. 

I'm all for creating a "minimalist" type of wayfinding signs...but it should be done correctly. 

I'm guessing that the gate numbers are simply reserved for future expansion...however when the entire concourse is built out, and eventually becomes a terminal in its own right, I doubt that those gates will continue to be part of the A concourse. 

9 hours ago, CLT704 said:

And secondly, can someone come up with a logical reason why the new gates start at A21 and not 14? Why the huge jump?

Another logic is the tens digit jump for the next set of gates.   But clearly for expansion.   It is similar to moving the hundreds digit for each block downtown 101, 201, 301.  There may only be 3 addresses on the block, but the next block still jumps up for the 100s digit.  So that would be logical, but I don't know if that is explicitly why they did it here. 

14 hours ago, CLT704 said:

Two thing. Firstly can anyone explain why the two signs are different colors? Driving my OCD insane. Are they just not lit up yet? 

Looking closely at the 2nd pic you can see that each of the signs is plugged into an electrical outlet. I'm guessing they just have not been turned on yet. Maybe they are waiting til the new A North Concourse opens next month.

And I agree with Dubone's analogy that since A North is really a whole separate building they started with the 20's to make it more obvious that there is a big difference. 

Imagine people's first time at CLT that are running late and are assigned to gate A13. They arrive at this split and see the signs. If there was an A14-A22 they would probably stop and double check their boarding pass again to make sure they are going the right way. It is a lot easier to confuse A13 with A14 than it is to confuse A13 with A21. 

It's similar to numbering highway exits by mile marker. If exits are numbered sequentially instead of by mile marker then you end up in a situation where if a new exit (gate) is added in between, you have to give it a number that's not sequential or you have to renumber all the other exits.

At the airport, by jumping up to the 20s from 13, it not only leaves a gap that signals separation (a new building/block) but it also allows room for additional gates (exits/addresses) to be added in between without renumbering. So, yeah, it's for expansion as was more succinctly described by earlier posters. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra

16 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

Pay close attention towards the end of this....is that the Charlotte airport ?!

No, although the control tower looks like ours the mountain in the back ground is a dead giveaway.  Most likely that was Las Vegas or Phoenix considering you have an old America West Airlines in the background who had hubs at both of those airports.  Las Vegas also had a control tower that look like the Charlotte control tower, Phoenix might have had one too.  

Yea that is definitely either Vegas or Phoenix cause of the Southwest plane too... Southwest wasn’t in Charlotte back then when they had that livery and I don’t think America West ever flew here did they? 

I’ve always wondered this... why did so many airports have the same airport control tower? Charlotte, Phoenix, Las Vegas, I think Orlando and San Diego has/had it too... I’m sure there are a few more airports as well.

Edited by saamh

It was seasonal, than ran year round for a few years from around 2010-2011 (albeit only 3-5x weekly) than became seasonal again.

FCO used to have a longer season as well. It was initially announced as  a year round service, then was changed to run Spring-December then was curtailed to its present schedule.

CLT ranked #2 best business airport in US according to this survey.  Las Vegas #1 

""Here’s what TravelBank said about CLT: “Charlotte Douglas International is a favorite among travelers for both business and pleasure, so it’s no surprise to see it rank as the second best in the nation on the TravelBank Rank. Charlotte’s high J.D. Power score of 762 helped it edge out the competition, along with it ranking as the No. 1 overall best airport for parking in our study. Travelers will also be happy to know that 84.22% of all flights arriving at CLT last year were on time, which is one of the highest in the country. Seeing as Charlotte is one of American Airlines’ major hubs, if you find yourself passing through in the near future don’t miss the opportunity for some of the South’s best barbecue and visit Brookwood Farms BBQ located in between Concourse B and C.”""

Subscriber article Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/06/14/charlotte-douglas-ranked-no-2-for-business.html?utm_source=Business+North+Carolina+Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=c291505a9c-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_6_6_2018_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7ae5defd0d-c291505a9c-122553233#new_tab

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

CLT ranked #2 best business airport in US according to this survey.  Las Vegas #1 

""Here’s what TravelBank said about CLT: “Charlotte Douglas International is a favorite among travelers for both business and pleasure, so it’s no surprise to see it rank as the second best in the nation on the TravelBank Rank. Charlotte’s high J.D. Power score of 762 helped it edge out the competition, along with it ranking as the No. 1 overall best airport for parking in our study. Travelers will also be happy to know that 84.22% of all flights arriving at CLT last year were on time, which is one of the highest in the country. Seeing as Charlotte is one of American Airlines’ major hubs, if you find yourself passing through in the near future don’t miss the opportunity for some of the South’s best barbecue and visit Brookwood Farms BBQ located in between Concourse B and C.”""

Subscriber article Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/06/14/charlotte-douglas-ranked-no-2-for-business.html?utm_source=Business+North+Carolina+Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=c291505a9c-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_6_6_2018_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_7ae5defd0d-c291505a9c-122553233#new_tab

There's got to be a way for KJ or someone on UP to negotiate a group rate subscription to the Business Journal so we can see these links. :) 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crucial_Infra said:

There's got to be a way for KJ or someone on UP to negotiate a group rate subscription to the Business Journal so we can see these links. :) 

A little birdie told me that if you use Chrome, go into advanced settings and disable javascript for bizjournals.com.  Paywall is javascript so it won't load.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1