Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

11 hours ago, LKN704 said:

That's very interesting-did you just come from a cruise or were you on some type of tour?

Up until a few months ago I was traveling to Vancouver about every two months. I've never had any issues leaving. I always would check in online with my phone, go through security, and  pass through US preclearance within a matter of minutes. I never checked bags and I have Global Entry, however.

The one thing that really really bothers me about flying into Canada is that I find their immigration officers to be quite rude. Not to say that US officials aren't equally as rude, but the only time I have been subject to lengthy questioning or anything was always flying into Vancouver or Toronto. I was in Vancouver in April and the Canadian border official insisted that she examine my passport and ask how I got every single stamp that it had. It was totally bizarre. 

The Skytrain is great! It's really fun to sit or stand at the front of the car and look out as it zips over bridges.

I wonder why they are so rude to Americans?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-donald-trump-has-finally-made-us-mad-really-mad/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/30/business/canada-day-tariffs-trade.html

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JBS said:

While in Canada, no one, NO ONE brought up politics. Just in case, I had my "Trump is peoplekind rejoinder ready."

Of note: the week prior, the manager of a Vancouver restaurant ejected a diner for wearing a MAGA cap. The restaurant summarily fired the manager's ass for being intolerant.

4 hours ago, Dale said:

Had to clear customs in Chicago.

That’s bizzare. Vancouver Airport has a preclearance facility and a dedicated concourse for flights departing to the US (as do most airports in Canada, allowing flights to arrive in the US as domestic flights). The facility may close in the early evening, were you on a red eye flight?

I wouldn’t be surprised if CLT got a seasonal flight to YVR. BOS/IAD/ATL all have seasonal flights to YVR. The traffic is definitely there. 

6 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

That’s bizzare. Vancouver Airport has a preclearance facility and a dedicated concourse for flights departing to the US (as do most airports in Canada, allowing flights to arrive in the US as domestic flights). The facility may close in the early evening, were you on a red eye flight?

I wouldn’t be surprised if CLT got a seasonal flight to YVR. BOS/IAD/ATL all have seasonal flights to YVR. The traffic is definitely there. 

If only for the Alaskan cruises, which are outrageously popular. I met several Charlotteans on the ship!

• 2 weeks later...

The airport's new logo is officially live (it was announced a while back). It's too bad they couldn't incorporate the crown somehow .http://www.cltairport.com/Pages/default.aspx

It looks like they borrowed the logo from some small town airport in Kansas.

Edit:

Here is the first interior picture of the new Concourse finished!!! 

More photos at https://twitter.com/CLTAirport

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 2

The airport's new logo is officially live (it was announced a while back). It's too bad they couldn't incorporate the crown somehow .http://www.cltairport.com/Pages/default.aspx

Edit:
Here is the first interior picture of the new Concourse finished!!! 
[/url] More photos at https://twitter.com/CLTAirport

Love the new terminal, hate absolutely hate the new way-finding signage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

I've been to the Liberal Airport.  City of Liberal Transportation is a pretty sweet logo:

Liberal.png

ugh I cannot unsee the T being 5 spaces. I fixed it.

Dh39-YwW0AAP5Ok-1.jpg

6 hours ago, JBS said:

I wonder if anyone can read the CO comments about this expansion and not lose faith in humanity?  Some people must just hate life...

I went ahead and liked your post before going to the CO comments because I KNOW you are going to be correct.

With AA's recent announcement that they will start service from CLT to Ithaca NY and Champaign/Urbana, I believe it puts our destination (separate airport) count at 177. 

I wonder if we will ever hit 200 cities worldwide.  I believe only DFW/ATL offer that distinction in the USA. 

Domestically, I could see AA adding Orange County (should slots become available), Newburgh NY, Islip, Appleton WI, Wichita, Flint MI, Green Bay, Monroe LA, Lafayette LA, and then maybe some seasonal destinations in the Mountain west, like Vail (which US used to fly). 

• Like 1

On 7/11/2018 at 9:26 PM, LKN704 said:

As someone from a small Kansas town, I will refute that my hometown airport actually has a pretty cool logo. Wichita Dwight D. Eisenhower National Airport. An airport I can not believe CLT does not have a direct flight too (Please). The Liberal airport was actually a former military base and has a pretty unique runway layout. I believe none of the old runways are used anymore, and has been replaced by a new one. However, I know the old ones still exist as I distinctly remember going to an airshow where everything was setup on the old runways when I was younger.

I do agree though, I don't exactly see why the logo needed to change, the flight path making a "CD" for Charlotte Douglas was clever and didn't feel dated or anything. I suppose they are really trying to up the "CLT" aspect to be more like "LAX" and "DFW." No one says "I am making a connection at Charlotte Douglas" they say "Charlotte" or "CLT" or "" if you are a 8 year old... okay, 8 at heart.

2 hours ago, UPNoDa said:

One would assume with all the Millennials we have moving here that there would be no shortage of "Graphic Designers" capable of creating a decent logo....sheeesh!!  

The problem is not with finding people capable of creating good work.  The problem is having people in charge of the bid process who have a clue as to what they doing and are able to select the right agency.  

My agency was requested to submit on a RFP for a website rebuild on a top 30 airport.  The person in charge of the process was clueless and was only in their position because they understood basic web development 25 years ago and knew more than the person who hired them to be the 'webmaster'...as that person knew nothing about web development.  Because of bureaucracy, this incompetent person was able to not only keep their job but increase their role simply by fumbling through regional agencies to do the work for them at with very expensive rates.   After a 30-minute phone call, I determined it would be a complete waste of time to even submit and the expectations they had on the project were off base.  Later found out the project took 50% longer than expected and cost twice as much as expected.