Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

1.  Flew to Toronto and back this week (just missed using the expanded section)

2.  Toronto has a beautiful airport but the signage is confusing (minor gripe) and the wi-fi is horrendous (plus, very few charging outlets)-on those two points, Charlotte is much better

3.  It's difficult to even find a seat at CLT these days and getting through terminals is unpleasant (partly due to the humans being stupid and inconsiderate)...expansion is way overdue and not nearly enough

4.  The remodeling of terminals at CLT is underwhelming (I get that we are a budget airport but the remodeled sections look like they need to be remodeled)

5.  Outside of Memphis (atrocious) and Laguardia, we have the worst airport restrooms I've seen (and again, not enough)

6.  Customs in Canada was quick and painless (surprised that there is no screening once we landed in CLT, typically a domestic traveler and assumed I would have to go through some US screening)

I'm thankful for the airport we have and for the plans in place but we have such a long way to go relative to other places I visit.  I'm mystified by generally positive reviews on surveys, etc.

Toronto is a mixed bag. 

The terminal that AC and their partners use are rather quite nice. The terminal that all other carriers use is a little bit older and cramped. 

Toronto/Calgary/Montreal/Halifax/Winnipeg/Edmonton/Vancouver/Ottawa all have US preclearance posts enabling flights to arrive in the US as a domestic flight. 

The agreement between the US and Canana is reciprocal, and Canada is free to open precleance posts at US airports as well, but it makes little sense for them to do so. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LKN704 said:

The agreement between the US and Canana is reciprocal, and Canada is free to open precleance posts at US airports as well, but it makes little sense for them to do so. 

Yes, too many US to Canada airports. They would rather be as difficult as possible at the border for incoming Americans.

CLT is the most utilitarian airport I've flown out of. And I agree that the remodeling is not impressive.

On the other hand, Vancouver is a very inviting airport ... but disembarkment was a nightmare. Long line for kiosk. Then long line for check in. Then long line to actually offload luggage. Then long line for security. By contrast, Charlotte was a breeze.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stiluvclt said:

I am truly surprised,  after all of this construction time that the CLT website has not updated their maps. C'mon man!

The guy in charge of technology doesn't have any formal technical education and his linkedin reads more like a process management person than a technologist.   It shouldn't be shocking at all that CLT has a horrible website.  

• Like 2

All anybody needs to do is look at how low CLT's revenue is compared to other airports with similar passenger counts to see why the website is old, the bathrooms have taken a while to be upgraded, etc ....

Total Airport Revenue generated in Fiscal 2017:

CLT: $294 million

LAS: $551 million

MCO: $581 million

MIA: $799 million 

CLT is generating only $12.82 per passenger they serve per year. Compare that to RDU ($170 million revenue) which is generating $29 in revenue for every passenger they serve per year and you see why RDU can afford a much nicer facility for the amount of people they serve.

Without a massive increase in American Airlines' master lease agreement fees or a huge increase in parking revenue, CLT will continue to have to operate like a budget airport. You can only do so much with revenue 30% - 50% lower than your peer airports.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Dale said:

We're the Motel 6 of airports!

Motel 6 amenities at Ritz Carlton prices (for local passengers).  I get what they are doing and know that it's a huge benefit to the city.  I'm not even complaining.  Perhaps they should dial back the "fit for a Queen" campaign though...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JBS said:

Perhaps they should dial back the "fit for a Queen" campaign though...

Rename the signs " Fit for American Airlines specs, standards, and lease budget."

AA wants a budget remodel, so that is what we got stuck with. CLT is remodeling concourses A, B, C, D with 94 gates for just a $70 million budget. Compare that to LAX, where American is investing $1.6 BILLION on their terminal remodel where they have just 17 gates and way less real estate. It will be made of gold. CLT.... AA is just happy to throw some plastic around and refresh the paint.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

Flying out of the new Concourse today, and it is really nice I have to say. 

One thing that worries me is that I can tell some things were done on the cheap, like the paint in some areas or the bathroom fixtures. Some of the sinks in the bathroom were already really scratched up and dingy looking, and a couple of chairs in the Concourse were really scratched up. 

Somethings aren’t the fault of CLT. On the walkway from the Main Terminal to the Concourse, there was a little siting area with chairs and tables and some folks were just leaving their trash all over the tables and walking away...CLT doesn’t provide table service. 

I’m a fast walker but I will say I didn’t realize how much of a hike it is to the new Concourse. From the B checkpoint where TSA Pre is to the new Concourse it was almost a 10 minute walk. 

7 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Flying out of the new Concourse today, and it is really nice I have to say. 

One thing that worries me is that I can tell some things were done on the cheap, like the paint in some areas or the bathroom fixtures. Some of the sinks in the bathroom were already really scratched up and dingy looking, and a couple of chairs in the Concourse were really scratched up. 

Somethings aren’t the fault of CLT. On the walkway from the Main Terminal to the Concourse, there was a little siting area with chairs and tables and some folks were just leaving their trash all over the tables and walking away...CLT doesn’t provide table service. 

I’m a fast walker but I will say I didn’t realize how much of a hike it is to the new Concourse. From the B checkpoint where TSA Pre is to the new Concourse it was almost a 10 minute walk. 

Now imagine connecting at future gate e50 from future gate a10.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think basic economy is a joke. Flying on a traditional carrier that charges mostly market rate fares and then telling people they can't have a carry on is silly. The  restrictions on carry ons are what you see from low cost carriers. People expect to be nickel and dimed at Frontier or Spirit. We fly Frontier from Charlotte all the time and are perfectly fine with their a la carte approach. 

29 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Sounds like we need to be ready to add more gates...

AA will get access to the 7 gates in 2019 vacated by United, Southwest, Frontier, and Jet Blue who moved over to the new A North concourse. These are mainline gates as well, opening up the opportunity for AA to add around mainline 50 flights per day.

I think they won't use these gates as heavily though and we might get a 25-35 per day expansion, as AA knows they need some breathing room at CLT. If a flight is delayed, arriving flights sometimes get stuck on the tarmac with nowhere to go. These gates will help make it easier to re-arrange mainline flights for irregular ops.

Edited by CLT2014