Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

^^ A temporary Starbucks while the permanent one is being built up there and it looks like another restaurant but the rest of the space not sure.  There was a set of restrooms up there too. Elevator and escalator up there. 

1 minute ago, JetBlueCLT said:

Delta is flying out of the old A still because I think the airport wanted a variety of airlines to move to A north. 

Delta also picked up A11 as well, so they occupy 6 gates on the old A con. Which is better for them anyways. 

Thanks and I like JetBlue too but just haven't flown anywhere they fly to nonstop from Charlotte.   Are they going to do a nonstop again to FLL? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^ A temporary Starbucks while the permanent one is being built up there and it looks like another restaurant but the rest of the space not sure.  There was a set of restrooms up there too. Elevator and escalator up there. 

Thanks and I like JetBlue too but just haven't flown anywhere they fly to nonstop from Charlotte.   Are they going to do a nonstop again to FLL? 

You’re welcome! I love JetBlue, didn’t give it away did I? Haha

I really believe they will add FLL back. A few of my friends that work at JetBlue say it’s a matter of time. Again, that’s just galley talk. Take it as a grain of salt. I’m hopeful because they want to expand FLL to 150 flights in the next few years. CLT is one of the last few logical cities they haven’t connected with yet. 

• Like 1

With AA making a route announcement in a few weeks. Any speculation on what routes we might be getting, if any?

On the Europe side, I think we’ll get a 3rd CLT-LHR flight. My biased/hopeful opinion would be American operating 2 of the 3 flights on an A332 and British Airways flying 1 flight with a 777. Then in the winter AA would fly 1 flight and BA operate the other. I get the AA/BA have a JV. Being the 2nd largest up for AA, I think it’s fiting that BA comes back here. 

Potential flight schedule could be something like 445(AA) 655(BA) and 1020(AA) departures. 

Just having fun with the thought, wishful thinking probably. 

• Like 1

That's exciting!

As you said, it isn't BA or Aer Lingus or an Asian carrier, but it is nice to see CLT finally get a third international carrier. Hopefully this will be the start of more carriers to come. 

I flew Volaris back in 2010, and was really impressed with the service. Very friendly flight attendants and pretty good service, although unfortunately I think they transitioned to an ULCC within the last couple years and no longer offer free snacks/drinks (they used to offer a really good choice of free Mexican beer).

• Like 1

I will be curious to see what American's response will be if they even choose to respond.    Judging by the flight times it seems the flights are focused almost entirely on the local market.

Flight Y4 979 departs CLT at 7:42pm and arrives GDL at 11:25pm local time. Flight Y4 978 departs GDL at 12:57pm, and arrives CLT at 6:02pm.

I also wonder if the Volaris addition is influenced at all by AA receiving the first 4 concourse A gates later in the year perhaps freeing up a gate on D during a prime window.

Additionally, the Volaris flight looks like it will be on the ground at the same time as the Lufthansa flight which leaves around 6:40pm. 

Edited by CltFlyer

Fantastic news on the new route by AA. As others mention, not the royal stuff we wanted with BA or Aer Lingus. This is awesome and suprising for us to get Volaris! I personally didn’t see this coming but super excited to see this plane!

I’m guessing they’ll park on D4 or D6. Only say that because JetBlue use to operate out of those gates. Also, every time there’s a charter flight from Mexico they park on D6. 

Edited by JetBlueCLT

2 hours ago, JetBlueCLT said:

I’m guessing they’ll park on D4 or D6. Only say that because JetBlue use to operate out of those gates. Also, every time there’s a charter flight from Mexico they park on D6. 

I also believe D6 was the gate Insel Air used when they had the twice weekly flights to Curacao. 

• Like 1

Is there any kind of timeline on when the rest of the food options in the Concourse A North Expansion will open? 

I also wonder if there are plans to add any artwork or displays to the walls on the second level.   I had the opportunity to walk around the new concourse a few weeks ago and the upstairs area was nice but I thought the walls were a little bare.   Maybe something with a Charlotte/North Carolina twist like the  movie posters they used to have in the Concourse A connector.

1 hour ago, CltFlyer said:

Is there any kind of timeline on when the rest of the food options in the Concourse A North Expansion will open? 

I also wonder if there are plans to add any artwork or displays to the walls on the second level.   I had the opportunity to walk around the new concourse a few weeks ago and the upstairs area was nice but I thought the walls were a little bare.   Maybe something with a Charlotte/North Carolina twist like the  movie posters they used to have in the Concourse A connector.

From what I can see there has been zero progress on the new restaurants and shops down there. The Starbucks looks exactly as it did when it opened.  Never see anyone working or hear it. The rate at which things happen here is appalling.

Aer Lingus is set to announce their new A321LR TATL destinations soon...here's to hoping we get the cut.

There should be plenty of space to accommodate them here at CLT, as they could operate out of Concourse A/A North as Irish flights are pre-cleared in DUB and SNN before arrival.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Aer Lingus is set to announce their new A321LR TATL destinations soon...here's to hoping we get the cut.

There should be plenty of space to accommodate them here at CLT, as they could operate out of Concourse A/A North as Irish flights are pre-cleared in DUB and SNN before arrival.

For sure. I also read that Aer Lingus is really close to entering the JV with AA/BA if I’m not mistaken? That could really help our case with them expanding to CLT versus an ATL or DTW.

Frontier is adding a flight to Tampa!    It will start on Nov 15th.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/business/airlines/Frontier-Airlines-expands-service-from-Tampa-to-six-cities_170719280

It will be operating on  Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday.  I'm not sure if will be seasonal or year round but it will be nice to have  pricing competition to another  Florida destination.

This is their 8th nonstop destination from Charlotte.  I wonder how many of the flights will actually stick long term..

I also find it odd that none of the local media has covered or picked up on the Volaris addition. 

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 1

Great add! Service levels matche right with CLT-MCO, which seems to be successful for F9. Hoping this route works! I think anything CLT- Florida on Frontier is a safe add. Wouldn’t be shocked if they did MIA at some point!

Intrested to see how AUS/PVD been doing, likewise to SAT which begins next week.

Edited by JetBlueCLT