Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

6 hours ago, JetBlueCLT said:

Also, it appears Frontier will overnight an A321 from MCO. To run CLT-MCO the next morning.

MCO goes daily in November.

In addition in November, PHL will go daily, and Austin  goes from 3 times a week to 4 times a week.  The current seasonal 4x weekly Providence flight appears to be gone for the winter though. 

Frontier will have 4 flights on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday and 6 flights on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday

11 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

In addition in November, PHL will go daily, and Austin  goes from 3 times a week to 4 times a week.  The current seasonal 4x weekly Providence flight appears to be gone for the winter though. 

Frontier will have 4 flights on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday and 6 flights on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday

Yep, saw that.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

You think Frontier is actually gonna manage to consistently make flights?

123B960E-EFB7-4467-95DE-8937E29DA688.jpeg

Operationally they seem to do just fine with there CLT flights. Minus the PHL flight that gets delayed frequently..... that’s more of a delayed prone PHL airport than anything. 

I guess, if you want to be negative Nancy, then sure... “they won’t make flights”.

Problem with F9 is they don’t build any slack into their schedule in case something goes wrong. Luckily, from what I’ve tracked this summer that hasn’t impacted CLT much. 

My takeaways from that, if AA is trying to start up some more Europe here next summer. Even if it’s just 1 additional flight. 

I’ll just throw some predictions because I love to speculate lol.

CLT-LHR 3 flights(mentioned before with potential of BA)

CLT-AMS(A332)/MAN(A332)/VCE(A332)/LIS(752)KEF(752) (All being summer seasonal)

Just put a lot out there. KEF would be a super long shot considering PHL doesn’t have it yet. I do think PHL will get that route next summer. I put most of the routes as A330s. Mostly because of the cargo it can hold and in case of IROPS with the A330. Would be easier to swap planes incase of any maintenance issues with the A330s.

Moving on with logistics lol....AA will have access to those 7 gates on A concourse. Maybe they can make another A330 gate on the B concourse side closest to 18C. Then just tow planes over from D to free up those FIS capable gates like they do now. 

I think AA parks up to 2 or 3 A330s on B? I know they take up 2 gates. Luckily, as mentioned above, AA will be getting 7 of the 13 gates on A. So that could compensate. 

I’ve been in our customs area once, it was a nightmare when I was in it.  Not sure what could be done to make things flow better?

Doesn't the airport master plan have an FIS expansion into C concourse? I have no idea how that would be achieved or the time frame but it is probably a longish way off. 

I think the best option is re-time Caribbean/LatAm flights so more of them arrive before TATL. That doesn't help with gates but it might help. 

MAN and VCE are the most likely. AMS and ATH would be awesome! I think we are going to become an all-332 operation soon, ie all fights on A330-200s, which would also help with the case for a 3rd LHR flight. 

Edited by CLT704

Here is the latest picture of a master plan I could find.   It would suggest that they want to add some more widebody (hopefully FIS) gates at the ends of both B & C.  The demolition of E in favor of a midfield express terminal also leaves room for an expansion of D and it looks like  they are planning initially for some widebody capable hard stands off to the left of D.  

These are constantly changing though.  I remember when the new A North Concourse was supposed to be a single long rectangular 25 gate international terminal.....

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

Here is the latest picture of a master plan I could find.   It would suggest that they want to add some more widebody (hopefully FIS) gates at the ends of both B & C.  The demolition of E in favor of a midfield express terminal also leaves room for an expansion of D and it looks like  they are planning initially for some widebody capable hard stands off to the left of D.  

These are constantly changing though.  I remember when the new A North Concourse was supposed to be a single long rectangular 25 gate international terminal.....

Are they getting rid of the overlook? That would make me sad

• Thanks 1

I imagine if it ever comes to fruition that they would either open up the midfield it stages as they demolished E or would simultaneously open the midfield terminal with the closure of E.   

Part of the problem with E along with the aforementioned traffic issues it creates is the inflexibility of having a terminal that can only serve one kind of flight and this makes it operationally inefficient.  Hence why you did see new terminals like it being built.  If they were to ever build the midfield terminal I imagine it would likely be 2 story terminal like everywhere else that could serve mainline flights if need be..

If there building a midfield terminal I'd prefer them to go all out. I could see a scenario where the build a people mover connecting  midfield gates - main terminal - light rail transfer to Center City.  I hate the idea of a people mover, But apparently they can't find a way to connect the light rail directly to the terminal.

Lufthansa and AA are running slightly different connecting strategies. 

AA can connect people in the USA through CLT going to Munich (but not onward).

Lufthansa can connect people in India, the Middle East, Africa, and Eastern Europe to the Carolinas (but not onward).

Both routes are more about connecting than just people going to Charlotte or Munich + some local traffic.

Lufthansa will still be the only carrier providing a one stop trip to Mumbai from Charlotte, and AA will provide travelers one stop from Jacksonville Florida to Munich.

AA's big cuts to Asia service from Chicago also announced today puts CLT Asia service on AA a long way off. They are definitely going all in on LAX and DFW for their Asia service.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

Shocking that PHL-Germany service on AA is gone completely with the exception of a new lone seasonal flight to TXL. 

Just shows how weak AA is (and how strong the Star Alliance is) in Germany. 

Strange to think that the ONLY way to fly to FRA on the East coast on AA for people in places like Buffalo or Albany would be to fly through CLT.

Starting CLT-MUC is somewhat bizarre, and I do fear AA has every intention of running LH off the route. One has to wonder if AA finagled their way into some corporate contract. I would imagine that BMW would still be loyal to LH. 

I fly the CLT to MUC  Lufthansa flight 2-3 times a year and its typically sold out with high prices ($1700 for my flight next month).   I don't think Lufthansa will lose too much traffic mainly because the Europeans coming to the US will continue using Lufthansa but some of the US people will switch to AA for mainly for miles.  But as a comparison, I would take Lufthansa 9/10 times over a long haul AA flight.  

There are a ton of German companies in the area (mine included) which puts a bunch of butts in seats on these flights.   

• Like 2