Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

3 hours ago, CLT704 said:

0968324C-766D-4E9B-B401-E933DDD5236A.jpeg.90991113b98c9a4e9427f539d3da4dc2.jpeg3A746EDC-308A-4114-8167-92D4A8BCE47A.jpeg.faab2851d36ae48322f0fb7bd168e380.jpeg7C8EFD0F-4D45-4883-AAFB-302BA6211C80.thumb.jpeg.4f2b97236340458cadf2e5cc7e6d7995.jpeg0E187C5B-CA05-4853-B59F-AA767E6AEC7E.jpeg.0b75921d00d077c3585f00793e8bd58a.jpeg

The CLT-MUC schedule has been posted, which gives hope (IMO) to Lufthansa staying in CLT. AA appears to be going more for connections- with an early eastbound flight- while LH is going for local traffic.

EDIT: The flight has been removed for some reason. 

Not only that but concourse D is more "open" at that time of arrival. FRA, MUC,and DUB come in at that time. DUB, as you know doesn't even need to park on D. Great schedule.

For S20 if we get any new A330 routes I bet they'll be added for that same 130ish arrival bank and 430ish departure bank.

Edited by JetBlueCLT
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JetBlueCLT said:

For S20 if we get any new A330 routes I bet they'll be added for that same 130ish arrival bank and 430ish departure bank.

Isn't a 4:30pm departure a 4am ish arrival for UK and Ireland and Spain routes? Ouch

Is there no hope for CLT-Stockholm service? Seems like it might be strong business route.

Edited by kermit

52 minutes ago, kermit said:

Isn't a 4:30pm departure a 4am ish arrival for UK and Ireland and Spain routes? Ouch

Is there no hope for CLT-Stockholm service? I would have thought it would be a relatively strong business route.

I would think CLT-Stockholm would be a no brainer. There is a large Swedish population in NC especially Greensboro because of Volvo Trucks. I grew up there and live there in summer and there were like 100 Swedish students in my high school alone, probably many more in others and many adults with no kids, and they all travel to Sweden regularly. So if someone does start the CLT-Stockholm route they would be rolling in the $$$

12 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

More importantly, it would help us with this extremely important listicle

I talked to that author back in 2016, who admitted he'd never been to anywhere but the Charlotte Airport. When I'm out in Charlotte, theres usually some pretty damn attractive people about. 

I always thought that a CLT-Stockholm route would do well when US partnered with SAS, the issue now is that I doubt there is enough O&D + connecting traffic to make the flight worthwhile plus AA does not have a partner in ARN to feed traffic flows nor does SAS have a partner in CLT.

AA doesn't currently serve Stockholm, however US used to fly PHL-ARN with an 767, and then downgraded the route to a 752 before cancelling it. I doubt AA would open up a new European station from CLT. 

I do wonder if an SAS/Privat Air 737 would be suitable, although I feel that local companies (Electrolux) would have to cough up $$$ to cover the flight.

1 hour ago, kermit said:

Yeah the timings are terrible. AA704 to FRA (and the new MUC flight) are just as bad...they take off from here hours before dinner time and then arrive in Germany at midnight Charlotte time...not-conducive to sleep.

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Not to mention Husqvarna which has it North American HQ here in Charlotte 

and...

Assa Abloy

Atlas Copco

both of which are huge

There are a bunch of smaller Swedish firms here as well, and I know  several people in the financial services industry that are Swedish and claim there are a ton of Swedes in Charlotte.  They all go back for the summer.

• Like 2

Number of Swedish firms in Charlotte region 38 with over 3000 employees

Number of Dutch firms in Charlotte region 50 with over 3700 employees 

We need Amsterdam and Stockholm flights to be on the radar for service out of CLT 

https://www.charlottechamber.com/international/foreign-firms-in-the-charlotte-region/

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Number of Swedish firms in Charlotte region 38 with over 3000 employees

Number of Dutch firms in Charlotte region 50 with over 3700 employees 

We need Amsterdam and Stockholm flights to be on the radar for service out of CLT 

https://www.charlottechamber.com/international/foreign-firms-in-the-charlotte-region/

ARN would be interesting. Never thought of that one.  Would CLT-HEL make any sense? Tap into Finnair network in Helsinki. They practically run a shuttle service on HEL-ARN.

Even better if Finnair came to CLT...I'm dreaming now!:) Ya never know though.

• Like 1

I've not sure the international business numbers while impressive, actually support the statement that we need flights to ARN and AMS off of business alone. 

Germany has around 200 businesses in the area.   I'll include the old 2nd daily FRA and now 2nd daily MUC ( funny how that works out).  So 3 flights.  means that is just about 70 businesses per flight a day If there are 209 German Businesses in Charlotte and roughly 5,667 employees per flight based off of the 17,020 employees working for those companies in the area. 

Judging off of those numbers.  Sweden at 38 businesses and 3,161 employees and The Netherlands at 50 businesses and 3,767 employees don't support flights.  Sweden's employee to business ratio is impressive.  Ireland's is more impressive, though, hence we have a Dublin flight .  Ireland is also a huge tourist destination though.   Which Sweden isn't as much of one.

Interestingly enough based off of those numbers and those stats.  Japan is the largest unserved market of which businesses could support a flight!  I'd take that with a grain of salt though.

I'd be interested to see what Nashville's Japanese numbers are with Nissan and they don't even have  flight.

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 1

Norwegian has set up shop in a lot of smaller east coast airports like Stewart in NY, Hartford and Providence. They really need a mid atlantic/southeast airport but CLT probably doesn't fit the mold. I could see them in Richmond or Greensboro. They have a pretty big footprint in europe.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49er said:

Norwegian has set up shop in a lot of smaller east coast airports like Stewart in NY, Hartford and Providence. They really need a mid atlantic/southeast airport but CLT probably doesn't fit the mold. I could see them in Richmond or Greensboro. They have a pretty big footprint in europe.  

I second this idea...Richmond would be a great location for Norwegian to set up shop!  

One thing to note that just because Country X has Y amount of firms in our area with Z amount of employees, doesn't mean that all of those employees are flying to that country from Charlotte. For example, my friend is an accountant at Electrolux here. She has never been to Sweden nor has anyone else on her team (at least for work, that is). 

It's unlikely that Norwegian would ever serve CLT.

Norwegian markets Providence/Hartford/Newburgh as alternatives to Boston/NYC, both of which are large metro areas that support international tourism. Furthermore, all of those cities are accessible within the 737 MAX range to Europe. A 737 Max would struggle on the Westbound leg from Europe to the Southeastern USA. 

My bet is that the next city to get Norwegian service to Europe would be the DC area. However I don't think Norwegian is doing so well financially as of recently.

• Like 1

Stockholm doesn't have that much nonstop service to the USA, which isn't surprising as it is a metro of 2.3 million people and the entire country of Sweden has a population and GDP similar to Georgia.

The only service currently is:

LAX, Chicago, Newark, New York JFK, Oakland (seasonal), and Fort Lauderdale (all metros of over 6 million people and 3 are big hubs for United (to provide feed to Scandanavian Airlines).

American doesn't serve Stockholm currently from any hub (would route you through Heathrow on British Airways). 

Electrolux would be a drop in the bucket for seats. A daily Scandanavian Airlines A330 seats 262 passengers. A daily flight would be 5,400 passengers a month one way. Let's say Electrolux and Husqvarna send 100 people from Charlotte to Sweden a month. That fills 1.9% of the available seats per month.....

Edited by CLT2014

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

...the entire country of Sweden has a population and GDP similar to Georgia.

This is true, but I’ll bet their are 5x as many people with passports in Sweden than in Georgia (and their firms probably earn a similarly disproportionate share of their income from other countries as well)

I don’t disagree with your point however.

Edited by kermit

Walk down to a North today.  I can see why the construction is moving so slow on the new restaurants and stores. There's only two employees at 11 a. M. On a weekday working. Absolutely crazy way to run a construction project.

Opening a new Panera should take a month not several. The closest thing to opening that I can see is that upstairs Starbucks.

• Like 3

On 8/28/2018 at 8:39 AM, csweet said:

There is a lot of chatter about WN  adding service from STL, what are the odds?

Southwest does release the next schedule update for tomorrow, maybe that will be on there

I also like the idea of a Stockholm flight but not sure how likely it is and on which carrier

• Like 1