uptownliving

Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

I have a good friend that is part of the architectural team doing alot of the airport plans, they said the terminal/entrance way is WAY OVER BUDGET and there will be cutbacks.(maybe the canopy etc)  Mentioned it was roughly 200million over. Not sure how this effects any plans for future expansion but I think the airport will really look at what is needed vs wanted.     It amazes me whats happened at the airport since the late 80's early 90's but then again all of Charlotte amazes me as well. 

36 minutes ago, QClifer said:

I have a good friend that is part of the architectural team doing alot of the airport plans, they said the terminal/entrance way is WAY OVER BUDGET and there will be cutbacks.(maybe the canopy etc)  Mentioned it was roughly 200million over. Not sure how this effects any plans for future expansion but I think the airport will really look at what is needed vs wanted.     It amazes me whats happened at the airport since the late 80's early 90's but then again all of Charlotte amazes me as well. 

Who do they think they are, Crescent Development?  But seriously, very bad news.  I loved the latest designs of the terminal and entrance.  If they have to cut something, I hope it's the canopy (much as I like it) and that it can be added at a later date.  This would be vastly preferable to an overall VE'ed design.  IMO, the look of the airport is so important since it's often the first or only part of the city so many visitors see.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JBS said:

Who do they think they are, Crescent Development?  But seriously, very bad news.  I loved the latest designs of the terminal and entrance.  If they have to cut something, I hope it's the canopy (much as I like it) and that it can be added at a later date.  This would be vastly preferable to an overall VE'ed design.  IMO, the look of the airport is so important since it's often the first or only part of the city so many visitors see.

How on Earth is it over budget like that????   It's been dragging on forever with no visual progress.  I would not use this construction company again. They suck and extremely slow.

Same with whoever is building the e concourse expansion projects.  I've never seen so little progress on a simple project.  BY MYSELF I could have built what they have built in less time.  It's absurd.

Does anyone know anybody at the airport that can verify any design changes/budget cutbacks? One part of the CLT website shows the new canopy design and another section shows the original covered catwalks design. Is the airport going to make a statement? Oh Ely, what's the status?

7 hours ago, QClifer said:

Are you sure your friend didn't mean $2 million? The published budget for that project is only $50 million. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Are you sure your friend didn't mean $2 million? The published budget for that project is only $50 million. 

There is no way this project is $200 million over. As reflected on the project site, the main terminal expansion is budgeted at $247 million. 

• Like 1