Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

I have a good friend that is part of the architectural team doing alot of the airport plans, they said the terminal/entrance way is WAY OVER BUDGET and there will be cutbacks.(maybe the canopy etc)  Mentioned it was roughly 200million over. Not sure how this effects any plans for future expansion but I think the airport will really look at what is needed vs wanted.     It amazes me whats happened at the airport since the late 80's early 90's but then again all of Charlotte amazes me as well. 

36 minutes ago, QClifer said:

I have a good friend that is part of the architectural team doing alot of the airport plans, they said the terminal/entrance way is WAY OVER BUDGET and there will be cutbacks.(maybe the canopy etc)  Mentioned it was roughly 200million over. Not sure how this effects any plans for future expansion but I think the airport will really look at what is needed vs wanted.     It amazes me whats happened at the airport since the late 80's early 90's but then again all of Charlotte amazes me as well. 

Who do they think they are, Crescent Development?  But seriously, very bad news.  I loved the latest designs of the terminal and entrance.  If they have to cut something, I hope it's the canopy (much as I like it) and that it can be added at a later date.  This would be vastly preferable to an overall VE'ed design.  IMO, the look of the airport is so important since it's often the first or only part of the city so many visitors see.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JBS said:

Who do they think they are, Crescent Development?  But seriously, very bad news.  I loved the latest designs of the terminal and entrance.  If they have to cut something, I hope it's the canopy (much as I like it) and that it can be added at a later date.  This would be vastly preferable to an overall VE'ed design.  IMO, the look of the airport is so important since it's often the first or only part of the city so many visitors see.

How on Earth is it over budget like that????   It's been dragging on forever with no visual progress.  I would not use this construction company again. They suck and extremely slow.

Same with whoever is building the e concourse expansion projects.  I've never seen so little progress on a simple project.  BY MYSELF I could have built what they have built in less time.  It's absurd.

7 hours ago, QClifer said:

Are you sure your friend didn't mean $2 million? The published budget for that project is only $50 million. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, tozmervo said:

Are you sure your friend didn't mean $2 million? The published budget for that project is only $50 million. 

There is no way this project is $200 million over. As reflected on the project site, the main terminal expansion is budgeted at $247 million. 

• Like 1

The one they posted on FB yesterday is the latest from 2017.  

On their website they have this 2017 video and the original from 2015.   The main difference I see between the two is 2017 has a full canopy over all the roadway and 2015 does not.

That glass roof of the canopy would be perfect if was solar panels!

http://www.cltairport.com/News/Pages/DestinationCLT.aspx

• Like 1

Not especially newsworthy or anything, but starting 1 October DL will add 2 mainline flights each day to JFK on a 717.

I seem to recall them doing mainline before on this route with an A319. I think they may have flown an A319 on CLT-LGA as well. Let's see if it sticks this time around.

23 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Not especially newsworthy or anything, but starting 1 October DL will add 2 mainline flights each day to JFK on a 717.

I seem to recall them doing mainline before on this route with an A319. I think they may have flown an A319 on CLT-LGA as well. Let's see if it sticks this time around.

DL has also been running the 717 already on CLT-JFK since mid summer, Saturday only. I believe they stopped it a few weeks ago, can't remember for sure though. 

AA has requested to end the daily flight to Havana. Load factors this year have been 55% and they would like to shift the flight to Miami where most of the local demand is located. 

Cuba routes have had several route eliminations since the initial awards. Delta canceled service to New York, Frontier and Spirit canceled all flights to Cuba, Alaska ended service from Los Angeles, etc.. other adjustments have been downgauging aircraft to smaller planes.

All DL flights have been moved to the south side of Concourse A, with temp interior walls up to completely remodel the north side at one time. The north side of the tarmac level has also been closed to traffic so that baggage make up and operations areas for DL can be remodeled. DL should be in its new space(s) by January. at which point the construction will move to the south side of A for AA's reconfigured gates and ops areas.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

All DL flights have been moved to the south side of Concourse A, with temp interior walls up to completely remodel the north side at one time. The north side of the tarmac level has also been closed to traffic so that baggage make up and operations areas for DL can be remodeled. DL should be in its new space(s) by January. at which point the construction will move to the south side of A for AA's reconfigured gates and ops areas.

Now that's an appropriate time frame!

1 hour ago, Miesian Corners said:

I should note that the AA gate and ops area remodels will take significantly more time to complete. They're actually relocating where jet bridges attach to the concourse. Last I heard was late Q2 2019.

Whats the reasoning behind that? The only thing I can think of is to ensure placement of aircraft with larger wingspans fit into each gate. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

AA has requested to end the daily flight to Havana. Load factors this year have been 55% and they would like to shift the flight to Miami where most of the local demand is located. 

Cuba routes have had several route eliminations since the initial awards. Delta canceled service to New York, Frontier and Spirit canceled all flights to Cuba, Alaska ended service from Los Angeles, etc.. other adjustments have been downgauging aircraft to smaller planes.

I have a friend that just returned from a visit to Cuba and spoke so low of it and telling everyone to avoid it at all costs.   Perhaps the initial exotic nature from when it was forbidden caused a surge of visitation but then the word of mouth has not led to many people clamoring to go.  

I know not every destination can suit everyone, but I think people quickly realize that Cuba will not be a cheap but beautiful Caribbean paradise.    Easy enough to hub it out of Miami to collect whatever demand there may be.  

• Like 2