Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

This isn’t a CLT-specific thing. The A333s are being removed from MUC and rotated to FRA. All MUC long haul flights are going to be flown by the A350/A346/A380. 

To be honest, this might not go well for CLT-MUC. The A350 is a capacity increase that the flight likely does not warrant. Because there is nothing to downgrade to, LH could have easier time justifying the routes suspension, especially given the fact that AA now flies the route. 

51 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

This isn’t a CLT-specific thing. The A333s are being removed from MUC and rotated to FRA. All MUC long haul flights are going to be flown by the A350/A346/A380. 

To be honest, this might not go well for CLT-MUC. The A350 is a capacity increase that the flight likely does not warrant. Because there is nothing to downgrade to, LH could have easier time justifying the routes suspension, especially given the fact that AA now flies the route. 

Lufthansa has been doubted on this route since the merger and continues to prove people wrong.  I have faith in them that they did their research before choosing to move all A330's from MUC to FRA and replace them with A359s.  They will continue to be the carrier of choice for German companies in the Charlotte area and won't likely lose many of the contracts they currently have.

I'm not worried, I'm sure they will make it work.

• Like 2

LH stopped flying the summer A346 as soon as their partnership with US ended and they lost the connecting feed. They still occasionally sub in the A346 here during peak periods or as needed. I saw the flight was canceled twice within the past week and the A346 was subbed in the other day to make up for it. 

• Thanks 2

On 10/11/2018 at 2:01 PM, atlrvr said:

Did LUF stop flying A346s during the summer? Maybe it has been a while since they did???

They still operate it occasionally, gave me a nice surprise at the airport park the other day. Must've been making up for the cancelled flight due to Matthew considering it took nearly the entire runway to stop I imagine it was full. 

Not to be a Debbie Downer but I think this shows that BA isn't going to start service to CLT, a lot of people said with the merger we'd see BA again. But all these smaller cities getting service before us suggests CLT is not a priority and with the CHS flight thats just reinforced. I know with the going venture blah blah but it would still be nice to see BA here again.

EDIT: Also LHR-CHS will probably eat in little to connections from CLT.  

Edited by CLT704

Hey KJHburg, Your photos are amazing: you show the lastest beam, form, crane and lots of other fine details about your subjects. It's great! Please get out to the airport and get some detail about the elevated roadway progress. Rumors of new design changes also the fact that the airport website and FB show 3 variations of design i.e. canopy/no canopy. Hell, they aren't even on the same page. They installed those large street light towers and they don't show up in the canopy design. The CO hasn't reported anything about "over budget" or design changes. The last thing I heard was that the city council had let another contract for 5 crane bases within the project area. We have been treated to a lot of print/photos about the A addition but very little about the elevated roadway /terminal lobby project. C'mon man! Get some details for us. Your avid appreciator StillLoveClt.

• Like 2

Here are the details on the Charleston British Airways flight.  2x a week seasonal only.  Great for tourism and some business but I would think many will still fly out of CLT unless their schedules permit it.     But great news for Charleston for sure. 

https://www.postandcourier.com/news/charleston-airport-to-launch-nonstop-flights-to-london/article_4edaa636-c009-11e8-b80c-27f9947a444b.html

• Like 2

It’s kinda sad that we are getting excited about an upguage from one regional jet to another but it is a welcome change nonetheless. 

AC operated mainline to both CLT and RDU years ago. IIRC CLT was served by A319 and RDU a DC9. 

AC is also starting RDU-YUL, which for some reason I can’t see sticking around. 

ACs E75s are really nice and are equipped with both power and PTVs. Their short haul J is quite nice too, and I’m sure a meal will be served-in comparison to the snack basket that AA serves. 

I wonder if AA will upguage one the YYZ flights as a result. The evening CLT-YYZ departure was formerly an A319 up until a couple of years ago. 

9 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

I don't disagree but I saw this news and was very pleased. The CLT-YUL flight has an awful schedule (for me) and changing at LGA is also a serious drag. I might actually drive to RDU to take this flight if it has a better schedule than ours.

The old RDU-Toronto flights were almost entirely full of Northern Telecom folks (back when that was still a thing). AFAIK nothing has really replaced NorTel in terms of Canadian business linkages to the Triangle

4 hours ago, kermit said:

I don't disagree but I saw this news and was very pleased. The CLT-YUL flight has an awful schedule (for me) and changing at LGA is also a serious drag. I might actually drive to RDU to take this flight if it has a better schedule than ours.

The old RDU-Toronto flights were almost entirely full of Northern Telecom folks (back when that was still a thing). AFAIK nothing has really replaced NorTel in terms of Canadian business linkages to the Triangle

CLT - YUL:
Departing CLT: 11:20AM ; Arriving 1:39PM
Departing CLT: 7:50PM ; Arriving 10:09PM
YUL - CLT:
Departing YUL: 7:25AM ; Arriving 10:03AM
Departing  YUL: 2:20PM ; Arriving 4:58PM

RDU - YUL:
Departing RDU: 4:15PM ; Arriving 6:20PM
YUL - RDU: 
Departing YUL: 1:35PM ; Arriving 3:45PM

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LKN704 said:

It’s kinda sad that we are getting excited about an upguage from one regional jet to another but it is a welcome change nonetheless. 

AC operated mainline to both CLT and RDU years ago. IIRC CLT was served by A319 and RDU a DC9. 

ACs E75s are really nice and are equipped with both power and PTVs. Their short haul J is quite nice too, and I’m sure a meal will be served-in comparison to the snack basket that AA serves. 

I wonder if AA will upguage one the YYZ flights as a result. The evening CLT-YYZ departure was formerly an A319 up until a couple of years ago. 

The return of mainline would be nice, but I don't see this eliciting much of a response from AA.   Given that the CRJ2's that AC use are vastly inferior to the CR9's/E175's that AA uses.  The A319 or A320 wouldn't be much of a inflight service upgrade over an AA Cr9's they currently use. 

On a side note though.  As of May 2019.  The only Non-AA major carrier (AC, UA, DL)  flights without business/first class  will be Delta's 3 CLT-CVG flights.  That's pretty impressive!

Edited by CltFlyer