Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

ViaAir has lost their contracts with Mid-Ohio Valley Regional Airport in Ohio and Beckley Airport in West Virginia due to reliability issues. Via Air ends November 30, 2018. ViaAir still has service to St. Augustine and Orlando/Sanford on their schedule for Charlotte (for now). 

A new carrier picked up the old ViaAir contracts, Contour Airlines, who will offer service to Beckley ; Mid-Ohio Valley ; and Tampa, FL from CLT on ERJ-135 aircraft.  Flights looks to start around $28 one way beginning December 5th. 
https://contourairlines.com/en
http://www.newsandsentinel.com/news/local-news/2018/10/mid-ohio-valley-regional-airport-welcomes-contour-airlines/

10-25-18-Contour-5-tle-1100x739.jpg

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Probably the Philadelphia 76ers. They are playing the Hornets tomorrow night. 

That game is in Philadelphia.  The flight number is a regular flight number so it appears to be a random substitution.

Delta is taking the Hornets to Philly tonight.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL8921/history/20181027/0240Z/KCLT/KPHL

DL# 8921 appears to be the Hornets personal flight number.  Cool to follow.

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 1

TUS was previously announced as being discontinued. I'm somewhat puzzled as to why CLT-TUS cannot work. This is the second attempt of the route...US also tried it out immediately following the HP merger. AA has a decent market share in the area thanks to HP and IIRC, AA's TUS-ORD flight was for many years as far east as you could fly from TUS.  I guess the route is just too long and thin and overflies DFW/PHX/ORD.

WSOC and CBJ also said AA is "evaluating plans" for CLT-SJC which I'm not sure if that means they are considering to move it year round or drop it. The flight was originally Summer-seasonal only but looks like it ran from Spring-early November this year with an A321. I think the route started with an A319. 

With fuel costs rising, I wouldn't be shocked to see the thinner transcons from CLT (PDX and SMF) being truncated to seasonal service, both of which they were originally. Back in 2016 I flew CLT-PDX in early March and there were only around 45 people on board...everyone basically got their own row to themselves. 

Edit: CLT-SJC is not in the schedule for the next summer, so I take it we will be finding out very soon if they route is getting the axe or not.

Edited by LKN704

25 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

TUS was previously announced as being discontinued. I'm somewhat puzzled as to why CLT-TUS cannot work.

Likely the opportunity cost versus other routes. The route ties up an A319  for about 4 hours each way (just flight time) to serve a city with little corporate presence and likely lots of leisure fares. Better to serve it via DFW that just takes two hours. The fact the flight was a red-eye probably didn't help with leisure travelers either, but then AA probably didn't want to commit a plane to a more prime time slot. 

Edited by CLT2014

47 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Likely the opportunity cost versus other routes. The route ties up an A319  for about 4 hours each way (just flight time) to serve a city with little corporate presence and likely lots of leisure fares. Better to serve it via DFW that just takes two hours. The fact the flight was a red-eye probably didn't help with leisure travelers either, but then AA probably didn't want to commit a plane to a more prime time slot. 

I flew the redeye a month ago and there was not a single seat open. Side note, it was an A320, which I have never seen on the CLT-DFW route. If you're a leisure traveller from west coast (Hawaii, California, Arizona, etc.) odds are you are going to have to take a red eye back to catch a morning flight out of CLT-XXX. I don't think it has anything to do with it being a leisure route, most likely just rising fuel costs more or less.

I believe that Tucson would have fared better if the CLT-TUS flight had had an evening departure from the beginning instead of a morning departure which offered almost no connections. 

I would be shocked if SJC is dropped.  Perhaps they are evaluating it to see if it could go year round.

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 2

Well, this news is kind of a bummer, but only because of an added delay. It seems AA will not be moving into A Concourse before 2020. The airline and the city have agreed to enlarge gate hold rooms on the concourse, which means major construction. While ultimately it's a good thing that the gate areas will be larger, it's disappointing we won't see any benefits for the additional gates before Q1 of 2020.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Well, this news is kind of a bummer, but only because of an added delay. It seems AA will not be moving into A Concourse before 2020. The airline and the city have agreed to enlarge gate hold rooms on the concourse, which means major construction. While ultimately it's a good thing that the gate areas will be larger, it's disappointing we won't see any benefits for the additional gates before Q1 of 2020.

I thought it was suspicious they were ripping out the exterior walls and Pouring new foundations on the North side of it.

On 11/2/2018 at 5:11 PM, Miesian Corners said:

Is it still in the plans to move around the physical gate locations?