Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

23 minutes ago, Scribe said:

If you want to read the full list and compare, here is the link https://thepointsguy.com/guide/best-and-worst-airports-2018/

CLT is 6th best airport!

Strange rankings.  Seattle has light rail connecting at the airport and is ranked low in accessibility.  With AirTrain and subway, JFK is very accessible and is ranked last.  San Diego has no light rail connection and has an offsite (but very efficient) rental car facility and is ranked first in accessibility.  Phoenix has mediocre food options.   Boston, Denver, Seattle, JFK and LAX don't belong on a worst list.  O'Hare does.  CLT definitely doesn't belong on a best list.  SLC and TPA are pretty great.

I was in Honolulu last week...just finding an outlet to charge your phone is a chore.

Edited by JBS
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, JBS said:

Strange rankings.  Seattle has light rail connecting at the airport and is ranked low in accessibility.  With AirTrain and subway, JFK is very accessible and is ranked last.  San Diego has no light rail connection and has an offsite (but very efficient) rental car facility and is ranked first in accessibility.  Phoenix has mediocre food options.   Boston, Denver, Seattle, JFK and LAX don't belong on a worst list.  O'Hare does.  CLT definitely doesn't belong on a best list.  SLC and TPA are pretty great.

I was in Honolulu last week...just finding an outlet to charge your phone is a chore.

I often read that JFK AirTrain is a nightmare and can take upwards of an hour to get from the airport into Manhattan. 

On the other hand, what’s the airport to Uptown, like 15 minutes ?

37 minutes ago, JBS said:

Atlanta shouldn't either. Extremely accessible, very efficient, clean and tons of options for Dining, entertainment and soon to be on site hotels. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dale said:

I often read that JFK AirTrain is a nightmare and can take upwards of an hour to get from the airport into Manhattan. 

On the other hand, what’s the airport to Uptown, like 15 minutes ?

Good point on the time.  At least an hour but it's NY...I expect to be inconvenienced.  I don't find AirTrain to be a nightmare though...nice, clean and efficient.

What I've gathering so far is that for CLT to be a cutting edge Airport it needs the following: 

Mass Transit to the Airport

Large On-Site Hotels

Larger more Modern Terminals

4th Parallel Runway (12,000')

Better Carriers/Carrier Competition

Anything I'm missing?

Edited by Hushpuppy321
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

What I've gathering so far is that for CLT to be a cutting edge Airport it needs the following: 

Mass Transit to the Airport

Large On-Site Hotels

Larger more Modern Terminals

4th Parallel Runway (12,000')

Better Carriers/Carrier Competition

Anything I'm missing?

... just another $5 billion or so.

It may just be me, but the JFK AirTrain is pretty easy and convenient. I think it’s only a struggle for those not familiar with the NYC Subway or those expecting it to be like the Washington Metro at DCA. 

The AA terminal at JFK is two stops from Jamaica where you can get on the E Express train and be in Midtown ASAP. 

• Like 1

Came into town from the airport yesterday and noticed how much more attractive this gateway to the city is. The airport looks like a modern airport from WIlkinson view  and trees planted on right of way were turning gold approaching Old Steele Creek Road. From  Ashely to West Morehead there is much work to be done. That stretch from Remount to Morehead has the opportunity for fantastic views of the city but still has used cars, vacant property and questionable uses. Perhaps as West Morehead spreads further this will invigorate the area.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

Any idea how much they can expand them by? I'm guessing as far as the blank concrete 'cubes'.

It could go further... the addons could go past and create an inverted pattern where the concrete cubes are inset instead of protruding.

But, I am pretty sure the website has a rendering somewhere, just can't  find it the rendering.

5 hours ago, kickazzz2000 said:

Either they skipped over concourse E or they drop the lowest exam score like some profs did in college

Word on the playground is that the small extension to E down by 14a,b and 16a,b is set to open after thanksgiving. and that gates 12 and 10 will be returned to service as well.  looking through the windows for the new extension part the walls are stainless panels, perhaps this is a glimpse into the future of what e will look like post renovation?

separately the small extension where piedmont operations was supposed to have a breakroom and training facilities is apparently unusable?  it was finished during the summer.   I keep hearing its a HVAC problem.   As soon as its done the northern extension should be able to proceed.  as the trailers currently up there are  the piedmont breakrooms.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kickazzz2000 said:

Either they skipped over concourse E or they drop the lowest exam score like some profs did in college

Right. Or the scoring committee was sponsored by a consortium of staff from CLT/TPA/PHX/SLC airports.

IMHO, websites such as TPG and other blogs like "One Mile at a Time with Lucky" have such an elitist vibe about them that it isn't funny. It sickens me when I go to said blogs when I see reviews where they nitpick that the nuts weren't served warm in First class or how the FA was on their cell phone when they were disembarking. Whether they like it or not we have made air travel a form of public transportation in American society. Don't get me wrong...I have flown airlines like Singapore and Qantas and Cathay and enjoyed it greatly but the level of service they provide just wouldn't be sustainable for the domestic market. 

Anyways, I find ratings of best airlines/airports to be highly subjective. I personally don't eat in airport restaurants, so I honestly don't care about that. I care more about cleanliness, functionality, and whether the airport has a Priority Pass or AMEX Centurion lounge.

I am surprised as to how PHX scored so high, as the three times I have been there it was a dump (although on par with CLT, which I also classify as a dump). Likewise, DTW has two beautiful, clean terminals, with decent amenities, so I am perplexed as to why it scored so low.  CLT doesn't have a PP pass or Centurion Lounge (I don't count those Minute Suites or whatever) so I am surprised it scored so high because bloggers seem to love those two amenities. Likewise, I love SFO, DEN, DFW, and JFK. SEA has a Centurion Lounge so I figured it would score higher. LAX is decent as well, provided your flight is departing from TBIT. 

My favorite airport on the East coast has to be IAD. I love it. Yes the UA "temporary" concourses are a dump and deserve to be bulldozed to the ground, Concourses A and B are clean, bright, and airy, and I love the architecture of the main terminal building. There aren't really any delays there and even though the Metro station is yet open, transit access from Downtown DC is pretty decent. There are 3 PP lounges there, one of which is the Turkish Airlines lounge is actually one of the nicest airline lounges in the US. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, uptownliving said:

CLT will be getting an American Express Centurion Lounge. It will be going on the 3rd level in the expansion they are building between D and E. The 13k sq ft lounge will be open by this time next year.

Couple of other notes:

- Spending $750k to upgrade the HVAC for Concourse E. They will be putting in larger air handlers to push more chilled air to E.

- Lufthansa just signed a 5 year contract for office and ramp space at the airport so looks like they will be around a little longer.

Are you sure about the 13k square feet?? That would make it the largest centurion by far... Dallas is 8984 square feet