Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

11 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

JFK is going to be 15k and Denver will be 14.6k....so looks like they are opening larger lounges going forward.

That’s great, the current ones are very small. I was in Vegas a month ago and they were restricting the amount of people that could enter the lounge

This is fantastic news!

They are definitely going in the direction of building larger lounges, and I know AMEX has recently implemented a number of changes at some of the busier lounges to try to reduce foot traffic. I know at some they now have a policy that you can only enter the lounge no more than 3 hours prior to flight departure. I think that’s at SFO. I was at the SEA lounge (which is the smallest lounge in their system IIRC and it used to be a Centurion Studio, not a full lounge) back in April, and it was bursting at the seams. I was told by the concierge upon entering that there might not even be any seats because they were so full. 

One of the things that irks my nerve about the Centurion Lounges is that they always have multiple tables reserved for Centurion Cardholders, but yet I have never seen anyone occupying them. I understand the need to reserve seats for your best clients, but still. 

I think with the addition of CLT almost every non-DL large hub in the US has a Centurion. I’d like to see IAD get one in the future, however the Turkish Airlines lounge is just as nice. DL hubs will likely never get one because cardholders can simply access DL Skyclubs, which have made significant improvements over the years and are actually pretty nice. 

11 hours ago, uptownliving said:

CLT will be getting an American Express Centurion Lounge. It will be going on the 3rd level in the expansion they are building between D and E. The 13k sq ft lounge will be open by this time next year.

Couple of other notes:

- Spending $750k to upgrade the HVAC for Concourse E. They will be putting in larger air handlers to push more chilled air to E.

- Lufthansa just signed a 5 year contract for office and ramp space at the airport so looks like they will be around a little longer.

Great news about the Centurion Lounge and Lufthansa.  

Do you know if the ramp space is just the gate space they’ve been using (D-12 I believe)?  I thought that was a shared gate that both they and American both use.  Or could it perhaps be cargo ramp space for Lufthansa Cargo flights?  Was all the space leased prior to or after American’s announcement that they would start flights to Munich?  Sorry for the game of 20 questions.

On a separate note, on the cargo side, it looks like Fed Ex has reestablished flights to Newark and Nashville.  And for a real treat, it looks as if UPS has upguaged its equipment on its Louisville flight from an A300 to an MD-11.  Of course all these may have been short term or seasonal adds, but I’m hoping they stick around, especially the MD-11 as it is a beautiful aircraft.

13 hours ago, uptownliving said:

CLT will be getting an American Express Centurion Lounge. It will be going on the 3rd level in the expansion they are building between D and E. The 13k sq ft lounge will be open by this time next year.

Couple of other notes:

- Spending $750k to upgrade the HVAC for Concourse E. They will be putting in larger air handlers to push more chilled air to E.

- Lufthansa just signed a 5 year contract for office and ramp space at the airport so looks like they will be around a little longer.

Great news!  What is your source on the Centurion Lounge?  I don't see anything about it on their website.

5 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

Great news about the Centurion Lounge and Lufthansa.  

Do you know if the ramp space is just the gate space they’ve been using (D-12 I believe)?  I thought that was a shared gate that both they and American both use.  Or could it perhaps be cargo ramp space for Lufthansa Cargo flights?  Was all the space leased prior to or after American’s announcement that they would start flights to Munich?  Sorry for the game of 20 questions.

On a separate note, on the cargo side, it looks like Fed Ex has reestablished flights to Newark and Nashville.  And for a real treat, it looks as if UPS has upguaged its equipment on its Louisville flight from an A300 to an MD-11.  Of course all these may have been short term or seasonal adds, but I’m hoping they stick around, especially the MD-11 as it is a beautiful aircraft.

Yeah the ramp space is just 500 sq ft below the gate they use on Concourse D. This space has always been leased so it is nothing new, just a 5 year renewal of their current space at the airport.

3 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

Great news!  What is your source on the Centurion Lounge?  I don't see anything about it on their website.

My source is the agenda for Charlotte City Council's meeting they will be having on Monday. I'm guessing that you have not seen anything announced because City Council has not approved this lease yet.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CLT704 said:

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article221945460.html

This article says that AA will add only 4 gates on A, I thought they were adding 7? Maybe this mean they'll move the A330s to A.

I believe a previous article said 3 of the 7 gates will technically be common use gates controlled by the airport. American would likely have access most of the time in addition to the 4 they will fully lease. Technically the airport could allow another airline to use those gates on a common use basis if another airline wanted to start service. Otherwise I'd say AA will basically get 7 gates.

Edited by CLT2014

On 11/22/2018 at 3:38 AM, uptownliving said:

Couple of other notes:

Lufthansa's direct flights to Munich are money

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

From the CLT airport facebook and twitter feed.  Photo from me on Friday. 

""Now On Display: Poinsettia Trees Capture Holiday Spirit

CLT’s poinsettia trees signal the official start of the Airport’s holiday season. The idea came from a photograph in Southern Living magazine more than 25 years ago. While over the years the design has slightly changed, the reaction of passengers still remains the same - awestruck.

Employees begin assembling the metal frames for the two trees, located in the Atrium, the week before Thanksgiving. The process takes several days to complete.

Next comes the placing of the 650 poinsettia plants on each tree. The red and gold plants have designated spots to create the design. Employees begin working on the trees before midnight and work until the wee hours of the morning to avoid impeding passenger traffic. It takes an additional two days to put the final touches on both trees, and the job doesn’t end there.  The poinsettia plants are watered every day, and the temperature surrounding the trees must be kept moderately cool. Any plant that is not in tip-top shape is replaced.  The outcome is a picture perfect backdrop to CLT’s holiday season.""

IMG_5846.JPG

I enjoy walking past these every year here.  Somehow it cuts just a little  bit of stress from the day.

• Like 3

The way finding signage that was put up in B...I know that the design of the signage is final but will they end up putting in lighted signages at the gate areas and throughout the concourse? Or will they leave up the tacky non lighted signage that was printed on foam board...

53 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Had to go by the airport again today.  What is this new building being built on Harlee Ave across from the Business Valet garages last 2 photos.  

IMG_6465.JPG

IMG_6466.JPG

This is the Fleet Maintenance Center for the airport. 

Listed on p. 7 of this document. https://www.mecknc.gov/LUESA/CodeEnforcement/About-Us/Statistics/Documents/03-18-USDC.pdf

• Like 3