Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

49 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

Why strange? AA flies one from RDU daily. Seating capacity is about the same. Regardless, the 330-300s are going away in 2020.

It is strange because AA tries to keep their fleets localized to a given hub. For example, ORD has all 787 (no 767 or 777) and DFW has 787 and 777 hubbed there (no 330s). With that said, why would AA switch from a 330-300 to a 777 that is also being phased out? 

In another news, I have seen multiple articles discussing the launch of four new routes from CLT this Spring; 2 domestic and 2 intl. Any ideas?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, csweet said:

It is strange because AA tries to keep their fleets localized to a given hub. For example, ORD has all 787 (no 767 or 777) and DFW has 787 and 777 hubbed there (no 330s). With that said, why would AA switch from a 330-300 to a 777 that is also being phased out? 

In another news, I have seen multiple articles discussing the launch of four new routes from CLT this Spring; 2 domestic and 2 intl. Any ideas?

The Observer Articles?  I'm pretty sure they are referring to the ones already announced. 

Traverse City, MI and Santo Domingo, DR begin on June 8th Saturday only.  TVC Seasonal.  SDQ Year round.

Erie, PA begins on May 3rd.  2x daily ERJ's.  Year round

Munich, Germany begins on March 29th.  Daily year round service on an A330-200.

6 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

The Observer Articles?  I'm pretty sure they are referring to the ones already announced. 

Traverse City, MI and Santo Domingo, DR begin on June 8th Saturday only.  TVC Seasonal.  SDQ Year round.

Erie, PA begins on May 3rd.  2x daily ERJ's.  Year round

Munich, Germany begins on March 29th.  Daily year round service on an A330-200.

It was a podcast kicking off Q1, they are additional to those listed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, csweet said:

It was a podcast kicking off Q1, they are additional to those listed.

Very interesting!  Do you have a link?

On the domestic front.  I think Wichita, KS (ICT) is a huge Midwestern hole.  I could also see them continue the trend of college towns with SCE ( State College, PA) etc...

Just an FYI:  apparently the state of Georgia was considering taking control of operations at ATL (just like we saw here a few years ago). It sounds like the state is leaning towards deciding the city is doing a fine job after all.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2019/01/10/ralston-cool-toward-state-takeover-of-atlantas.html

17 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

Very interesting!  Do you have a link?

On the domestic front.  I think Wichita, KS (ICT) is a huge Midwestern hole.  I could also see them continue the trend of college towns with SCE ( State College, PA) etc...

https://soundcloud.com/american-airlines-internal-news

That’s at least some of them, I seem to remember another set of podcasts but I can’t find them.

Edited by CLT704
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

I agree with the midwestern gaps. Maybe Columbia, MO or Jackson Hole? 

45 minutes ago, csweet said:

I agree with the midwestern gaps. Maybe Columbia, MO or Jackson Hole? 

The timing would makes sense for Jackson Hole or a variety of other Western Ski destinations.  Perhaps Gunnison/Crested Butte,  Hayden/Steamboat Springs, Bozeman, etc...  It would also fit with the latest trend of Saturday Only service adds. 

Internationally the timing would suggest Caribbean, Latin America, or perhaps a return to South America?

4 hours ago, csweet said:

The 777s aren't being phased out. The airline is actually investing money into the interiors right now. AA has nearly 70 777s and only 9 A330-300s, which will exit the fleet in Q4 2020. The 787s are being brought on to replace the 767s which will be retired en masse by 2021.

Regardless, the idea (I was told) was exactly what you alluded to in your comment: Heathrow is basically a hub for AA and it's more cost effective to operate as many of the same aircraft type from there as possible (for maintenance/parts as well as consistent product).

4 hours ago, csweet said:

As for new routes, only MUC and GHR have been announced. The airport can't really accommodate much more additional flying until it gets the 7 new gates in Q1 of next year. They could run South American service with late night departures and early morning arrivals, but the economy of most of the continent is in the toilet at the moment, so I doubt we'll be seeing GIG or GRU come back in the next year.

Edited by Miesian Corners
Response to second paragraph

14 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

The 777s aren't being phased out. The airline is actually investing money into the interiors right now. AA has nearly 70 777s and only 9 A330-300s, which will exit the fleet in Q4 2020. The 787s are being brought on to replace the 767s which will be retired en masse by 2021.

Regardless, the idea (I was told) was exactly what you alluded to in your comment: Heathrow is basically a hub for AA and it's more cost effective to operate as many of the same aircraft type from there as possible (for maintenance/parts as well as consistent product).

You are correct, the 767 and 330s will go first. However, a quote from SimpleFlying:

"Earlier in 2018, American placed an order for the acquisition of 47 Boeing 787 Dreamliners, which the carrier intends to use as replacements for the 767. As part of the fleet review of American, the carrier evaluated the outcomes of retiring either the 767 or Airbus’ A330-300. The idea was to use 22 787-8 Dreamliners to substitute the 24 retiring 767s and another 25 Boeing 787-9s to replace the 15 Airbus A330-300s and ageing 777-200s." AA is investing to keep the 777 around long enough to last for the 787-9 orders. 

15 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

The completion date of Spring 2020  sounds rather optimistic for the C renovations,  especially given the given the time it is taking to renovate B and C is arguably the busier of the two concourses.

1 hour ago, CLT704 said:

763277103_Screenshot2019-01-12at16_29_11.png.07e3c362d3fb79d8ca46777ca716b2da.png

Get ready for year-round Madrid!

* I'm assuming "string" is intended to be strong.

Finally!  This has seemed like a logical year round extension since the AA/US merger.  With a hub on both ends, I don't see why CLT wouldn't be able to support MAD in the winter.

I also wonder if we will see Paris year round again in the future.  Given the somewhat more touristic nature of the market though, I could see why they wouldn't.

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

Finally!  This has seemed like a logical year round extension since the AA/US merger.  With a hub on both ends, I don't see why CLT wouldn't be able to support MAD in the winter.

I also wonder if we will see Paris year round again in the future.  Given the somewhat more touristic nature of the market though, I could see why they wouldn't.

I could see Paris as 4x/5x weekly in the winter, like US Airways did in 2011 (IIRC). 

I wonder if Madrid will be daily or not.  If that comes to fruition, we will have the following year round flights:

-London Heathrow x2

-Madrid 

-Frankfurt 

-Munich x2 (AA and Lufthansa) 

which would be awesome!

• Like 4

Concourse C construction starts on Monday.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/11/whats-next-in-charlotte-douglas-ongoing-2-5b.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

"Destination CLT began in earnest in 2016 and is scheduled to wrap up by the spring of 2026. It's paid for through airport revenue and passenger fees."

"...the project includes adding new ceiling tiles, paint, carpet in the seating areas, wall panels as well as updating the seating with integrated power, USB ports and wireless charging hotspots. The installation of terrazzo flooring in the concourse's center walkway and upgraded restrooms are among the planned renovations."

• Like 3

CLT-CDG was year-round for a couple of seasons, IIRC it ran year round from about 2009/2010 to 2012. CLT-FCO was announced as a year-round service and then was truncated to run until January, until eventually ending with all the other seasonal flights. I landed from MCO on 1 Jan one year and saw the flight to FCO boarding.

CLT-MAD going year-round makes sense as it is essentially a hub-to-hub route for AA. I still wouldn't be surprised to see CLT-CDG make a return for a year-round service as well. 

In other unrelated news, RDU is getting a United Club, giving RDU flyers access to all US3 lounges. It stings a little, but I would much rather have a Centurion Lounge at CLT.

7 hours ago, LKN704 said:

In other unrelated news, RDU is getting a United Club, giving RDU flyers access to all US3 lounges. It stings a little, but I would much rather have a Centurion Lounge at CLT.

I don't ever see United adding a club in Charlotte, but I could see Delta adding one whenever the phase 2 or phase 3 of the concourse A North Expansion is completed.  With currently 34 flights a day, I think CLT could warrant a Delta Sky Club.  Similarly  sized stations in  BNA and MSY both have one.

On 1/13/2019 at 3:20 AM, CltFlyer said:

I don't ever see United adding a club in Charlotte, but I could see Delta adding one whenever the phase 2 or phase 3 of the concourse A North Expansion is completed.  With currently 34 flights a day, I think CLT could warrant a Delta Sky Club.  Similarly  sized stations in  BNA and MSY both have one.

Once they take over the  Phase I of the new concourse I could definitely see them adding a lounge.