Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

16 hours ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Separately, I see that Charlotte is getting an American Express Centurion Lounge, between the D and E concourses.  13,000 square feet and a cost of millions of dollars.  How does AmEx make money on these lounges: are they just viewed as a cost inherent in their credit card business?

Yes. Centurion Lounge access is a perk for those who hold Amex's Platinum card, which has a $550 annual fee. The premium travel card space has become more competitive so Amex is differentiating its product.

On 3/17/2019 at 4:16 PM, CLT2014 said:

Silver Car by Audi is now offering rental cars at CLT (off airport location). They pick you up at the terminal and take you to a location at Yorkmount where they have a fleet of silver Audi sedans and SUVs. Prices look to be $55 per day for an A4. 

https://www.silvercar.com/

They started the operation in September of 2018 and it's a fantastic service, great cars and great customer service. There are usually coupon codes floating around as well. The Charlotte facility (where you return the car) is on Yorkmont.

Ive lived my 34 year life in Charlotte and flown out of the airport more times than I can remember growing up. Ive never been to the airport website and dont think Ive missed anything. I dont think I have been to any airport website actually. Maybe Im a loser but why are people complaining about a website? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Airport IT staff must be shared with CATS. 

Sort of. I believe all those website are maintained by the same group. The county & city website both had a major overhaul 1-2 years ago, and both the CATS and airport sites changed then. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, QClifer said:

Ive lived my 34 year life in Charlotte and flown out of the airport more times than I can remember growing up. Ive never been to the airport website and dont think Ive missed anything. I dont think I have been to any airport website actually. Maybe Im a loser but why are people complaining about a website? 

I'm pretty sure that I'm the loser here: I actually have visited airport websites to look for information before a trip.  Usually, it's just a simple thing like scouting food options, although that can be really important when travelling with the family. 

Anyway, in my experience, the CLT website is about as good as any of them, and much better than a lot of them. 

17 minutes ago, teeg said:

I'm pretty sure that I'm the loser here: I actually have visited airport websites to look for information before a trip.  Usually, it's just a simple thing like scouting food options, although that can be really important when travelling with the family. 

Anyway, in my experience, the CLT website is about as good as any of them, and much better than a lot of them. 

I’m glad I’m not the only one, I do the same thing. We travel with out of state family sometimes and I will go to their local airport to find their options for direct flights so we can find an easily accessible vacation spot. And with kids it helps to solve restaurant plans in advance of arrival so we aren’t wandering the airport looking for the Chick-fil-A that we know is there somewhere because we saw someone carrying a CFA cup. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sakami said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one, I do the same thing. We travel with out of state family sometimes and I will go to their local airport to find their options for direct flights so we can find an easily accessible vacation spot. And with kids it helps to solve restaurant plans in advance of arrival so we aren’t wandering the airport looking for the Chick-fil-A that we know is there somewhere because we saw someone carrying a CFA cup. 

AA APP.  terminal maps.

You're welcome

1 minute ago, xapostrophe said:

AA APP.  terminal maps.

You're welcome

I’m not worried about my flight options out of CLT but  this family flies out of an airport that only has 8 direct flights. And there are other airlines out there, and airports AA doesn’t fly to. 

I recently used A North when coming back from North Dakota for spring break. I usually fly Delta exclusively since there the only legacy that operates out of Grand Forks. This trip I used United out of Fargo for cost reasons. What a pleasure it was using the new concourse! It gives off such a nice vibe from the moment you get off the plane. Nothing noteworthy or "new" news in this post considering it opened last July. I was just impressed how relaxing it was compared to the current A concourse where Delta parks. Granted, A is being renovated currently. I walked through A north over thanksgiving but it was cool flying into it lol.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JetBlueCLT said:

I recently used A North when coming back from North Dakota for spring break. I usually fly Delta exclusively since there the only legacy that operates out of Grand Forks. This trip I used United out of Fargo for cost reasons. What a pleasure it was using the new concourse! It gives off such a nice vibe from the moment you get off the plane. Nothing noteworthy or "new" news in this post considering it opened last July. I was just impressed how relaxing it was compared to the current A concourse where Delta parks. Granted, A is being renovated currently. I walked through A north over thanksgiving but it was cool flying into it lol.

If only the rest of the airport looked like A North...i love the open, airy and tall space...it's modern, simplistic and clean and what an airport of CLT's caliber deserves....but unfortunately AA is not putting world class airport money into the rest of the terminals. 

Edited by NikolaTesla

Current Europe routes from CLT:

Paris: March 31 – October 27
Madrid: March 31- October 27
Rome: April 2- October 27
Barcelona: May 3- September 29
Dublin: May 3- October 27
Year round service:
London
Frankfurt
Munich: begins March 30

When will more be added?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, csweet said:

Current Europe routes from CLT:

Paris: March 31 – October 27
Madrid: March 31- October 27
Rome: April 2- October 27
Barcelona: May 3- September 29
Dublin: May 3- October 27
Year round service:
London
Frankfurt
Munich: begins March 30

When will more be added?

When there are more gates, AA is quite public about its desire to grow the domestic network to feed more international flights. But CLT is maxed out in terms of space, both international and domestic. Will INTL flying be Philadelphia levels? No, definitely not. Asia? Not for many years, if ever.  Will we see year-round Madrid and one or two more leisure destinations? Probably, although the size of the FIS is a bit of a problem. I don't know what cities are being considered but destinations that are successful from PHL (e.g. Prague) will probably be looked at. I still hope Brazil is resumed one day. 

Edited by CLT704
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, navigator319 said:

^ I'm only surprised that CLTs growth in originating passengers at 24.5% is just keeping the pace mostly with the others.  I would have thought with Charlotte's population growth compared to others on that list would have meant our growth would be a larger percent then those other cities.

I don't think they presented this in a fashion that's most illustrative of the real longer term trends. They used 2012-2017 growth rates. Many of the bigger and more established airports  were still rebounding from the recession in 2012, as evidenced by a lot of them losing traffic from 2007-2012, while Charlotte modestly grew through that period. I think using 2007 - 2017 is a better stat as you've smoothed out the recession effect. Or even 2000 if you want something longer term. 

• Like 1