Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Also be on the lookout during the week of Labor day. The pilots of Usairways-east may plan to "send a message" to upper management buy staging a sick-out. Regardless of what happens Charlotte will remain a dominant hub.
This would be stupid beyond belief. US East pilots beef is with its union, NOT the company. It was ALPA that sold them down the farm, not (for once) the inept management in Tempe.

My impression on why it is so bad at USAir is because it is being run by people who have good accountants but don't really know or care how to run a good airline. In terms of customer service, state of the equipment, connections with the community, and general service they are light years behind Piedmont Airlines of 20 years ago. It's not the lower level employees fault as they have been as violated as the customers are at this point and I have to commend them for the service they do provide considering the greed demonstrated by the executives in charge of the airline.

Many of us who used to routinely fly in the Piedmont days were quite happy to step aboard a Piedmont plane especially on the way home and/or having flown on other carriers during the trip. For those of us from the Carolinas, getting on a Piedmont plane meant that we had come home, all was well and how lucky we were to have such a great airline flying out of Charlotte. I am glad I don't have to travel much for work these days because flying, especially on USA out of CLT has become too much of an ordeal.

The Observer is reporting that the airport has fallen from 13th last year to 27th out of 32 major airports when it comes to on time landings.

Not surprising. I flew the same CLT/BOS route for 6 weeks straight up until this week and not one time did the flight land (or depart) on time.

On another note, I noticed on the right side when passing by the terminal, in the parking bus, they are building something. It's all concrete right now. Anyone know what this is?

Not surprising. I flew the same CLT/BOS route for 6 weeks straight up until this week and not one time did the flight land (or depart) on time.

On another note, I noticed on the right side when passing by the terminal, in the parking bus, they are building something. It's all concrete right now. Anyone know what this is?

That's just tarmac for Concourse E. It will be expanded further next year. You can see the future building's footprint in the new tarmac, as it's asphalt instead of concrete in those areas.

In terms of on-time performance, everybody's lousy right now (airports and airlines). The entire industry is just the most screwed up mess you could ever possibly imagine. Due to airlines embracing the "regional jet", the skies are ever more crowded with more flights that hold fewer people. Add into the mix the Federal government's inability to modernize air traffic control, ever increasing weather issues (climate change?), labor problems, and security, and we have ourselves one giant clusterf*ck. I know. I work in it every day. Sigh.

Edited by Miesian Corners

In the Greenville forum, there is supposed confirmation that Audi will be building a plant in Anderson County, SC (which is in the upstate). If so, that should improve Charlotte's German gateway even more.....probably not enough to get a 747 again, but its nice to dream.

I just did a rough measurement with Google Earth based on where I believe the plant would go (which is actually close to Greenville), and it would be 110 miles to Charlotte Douglas and 130 miles to Hartsfield (-Jackson <_< )...with the big advantage not having to drive 30 miles through Atlanta traffic.

I'm sure they're giving away everything that can. BMW has worked out ok it seems, but all those mortgage back-office jobs in Lancaster and York counties, ouch....

Many of us who used to routinely fly in the Piedmont days were quite happy to step aboard a Piedmont plane especially on the way home and/or having flown on other carriers during the trip. For those of us from the Carolinas, getting on a Piedmont plane meant that we had come home, all was well and how lucky we were to have such a great airline flying out of Charlotte. I am glad I don't have to travel much for work these days because flying, especially on USA out of CLT has become too much of an ordeal.

I just liked getting the free Piedmont wings the captain gave to the kids when they got off the plane.

Article in today's Observer about parking woes and the possibility of increasing the price to park in the near future.

i moved to charlotte from orange county where we used john wayne santa anna airport (SNA) and parking here is so much cheaper - we are paying 3 bucks a day! that is such a deal. even when they increase the cost to 4 bucks a day that is still such a bargain. plus, if they keep raising the price, the possibility of mass transit to the airport increases

Usairways is transfering 125 flight attendant positions to Charlotte effective November 1st 2007. There is also the possibility that another 125 positions will be moved to Charlotte on December 1st 2007. Also for those of you tired of seeing the same uniforms the gate agents and flight attendants have been wearing for like 20 years....new uniforms will come online in the first quarter of 2008.post-1053-1187793333_thumb.jpg This is just a sample of over 20 new pieces of uniform to choose. This will give a fresh crisp look to the airline and hopefully lift the morale of of the Gate agent and flight attendant groups

Does anyone know when US Airways stopped their direct flight service to Portland, OR (PDX) from CLT? It was advertised a few months ago, now it no longer exists. I was looking to head out there in Sept/Oct but see I can only connect through PHX or LAS on USA.

Wasn't it just a seasonal destination?

The women's attire looks a little throw-back to the 60's look to me.
That's the idea. 1960s mod. Kind of a throw-back to the glam days of aviation (that apparently fell off a cliff, never to be seen or heard from again). The women with good figures will look great in it, the ones without good figures (and there are A LOT of those at US) will look, um, er, not so great.