Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Wikipedia says Bogota may start October 1st and i was hoping for cities like CDG, MAN, FCO,and ZURICH.....from Charlotte.......with the State of the Art International terminal that can't be built fast enough for me :wub: ....oh yeah and what kind of plane would operate CLT-BOG and would it be daily?
BOG would probably be flown with a 757 or A320. According to some big wigs from Tempe yesterday at the CLT Training Center, the airline is still waiting word from the Colombian government, althought the media there have reported that service will begin (just as Wikipedia said) in October. The higher ups also said that CDG will more than likely be back in the Spring of 2009.

BOG would probably be flown with a 757 or A320. According to some big wigs from Tempe yesterday at the CLT Training Center, the airline is still waiting word from the Colombian government, althought the media there have reported that service will begin (just as Wikipedia said) in October. The higher ups also said that CDG will more than likely be back in the Spring of 2009.
CDG sounds good its about time they brought that back :) was their any other routes talked about. Just looked on wikipedia and starting June Second Clt-TUS and Starting June 3rd CLT-SMF PHL-SMF. It is up on Usairways site. Edited by CltFlyer

Not much surprise here as USAirways will take every opportunity to gouge it's customers, in that they have announced that it will now cost an additional $25 to check a 2nd bag on the airline. Meanwhile US News has rated Charlotte/Douglass as the 6th most miserable airport in the nation to travel through, mostly due to late and fully packed planes operated by USAirways. In comparison this same ranking places RDU at one of the better airports on this list with a misery index of 10 vs 41 for Charlotte. RDU years ago lost its hub status and today is served by a multitude of airlines. Competition is really good.

Not much surprise here as USAirways will take every opportunity to gouge it's customers, in that they have announced that it will now cost an additional $25 to check a 2nd bag on the airline. Meanwhile US News has rated Charlotte/Douglass as the 6th most miserable airport in the nation to travel through, mostly due to late and fully packed planes operated by USAirways. In comparison this same ranking places RDU at one of the better airports on this list with a misery index of 10 vs 41 for Charlotte. RDU years ago lost its hub status and today is served by a multitude of airlines. Competition is really good.

Ahh, so they decided to match United's tactic. Sigh, I was hoping the 2-3 week delay in anyone deciding to copy UAL would result in UAL's rescinding the policy.

Is US only making non-elites pay the extra 25? Domestic only?

AirTran had a similar policy when I rode. Extra per bag per weight group...

Thats a shame....i love travelling in and out of Clt iv even connected their on from gso one time i can't see how its the 6th most miserable airport to travel through :huh: .

I know that this has been discussed before, but does anyone have any information about the possibilities of hotels being built at our airport. I think it's weird that we don't have any hotels at an airport our size.
The master plan of the airport shows a hotel placed in between the Commuter and international terminal.

Thats a shame....i love travelling in and out of Clt iv even connected their on from gso one time i can't see how its the 6th most miserable airport to travel through :huh: .

That same article says the Charlotte Airport is more miserable than Philly. That told me all I needed to know about this article....in the trash it goes.

But 2007 was a bad year for CLT. Remember the long lines due to the US reservation system problems back in March '07? That really brought down US Airways performance for a good portion of 2007. They have seemed to recovered lately...they were #1 in On Time Rankings among the Big Six carriers in December.

I think that 2008 will be a better year for CLT. At least if you get stuck at the airport they do have brand new bathrooms that are much better than the old ones.

I know that this has been discussed before, but does anyone have any information about the possibilities of hotels being built at our airport. I think it's weird that we don't have any hotels at an airport our size.

We do have a few hotels just off of the airport property.... that is if you want to get shot....

Seriously though, I can think of airports 1/4 the size of ours that has at least a nice upscale Hilton or Marriott for higher paying customers right at the airport. With all of the bankers, etc. and being a major connecting airport hub, I'm really surprised we don't have one or two high end hotels.

That same article says the Charlotte Airport is more miserable than Philly. That told me all I needed to know about this article....in the trash it goes.....
I have found Philly a fairly decent airport to fly into, and as a bonus, the airport has quick efficient train service to the direct to the city. The article seems to be on the mark to me.

We do have a few hotels just off of the airport property.... that is if you want to get shot....

Seriously though, I can think of airports 1/4 the size of ours that has at least a nice upscale Hilton or Marriott for higher paying customers right at the airport. With all of the bankers, etc. and being a major connecting airport hub, I'm really surprised we don't have one or two high end hotels.

There are a few hotels around the airport that aren't all that bad. Areas that come to mind are Tyvola in front of the coliseum property and on Yorkmont. It doesn't really get bad till you get to Nations Ford to the east or the West Tyvola section. But it is true that there is not anything directly adjacent to the airport property.

Edited by Raintree21

I have found Philly a fairly decent airport to fly into, and as a bonus, the airport has quick efficient train service to the direct to the city. The article seems to be on the mark to me.

Right, but travelling into and travelling through are two different things. Philly is WELL KNOWN as a miserable connecting hub.

^Barring people stuck at the airport wouldn't the people who might stay at a airport hotel = (O/D traffic) - (O/D visitors)? Based on that number I would say the answer to your question would be yes. In my business traveling days, the airport hotel was usually my last choice in places to stay and only then if there was nothing else to be had. The biggest reason for staying at one was if I had made a change in plans and needed to be at the airport real early the next day.

Exactly. Most of my stays at airport hotels have been: flying out the next morning and not wanting to stay too far from the airport, being stuck in a city due to missed/canceled flight/ or due to a meeting/conference at the hotel.

I think Charlotte is a natural candidate for all three. There are a ton of business travelers coming into Charlotte, so many delayed flights that people get stuck all the time, and a nice hotel with nice meeting facilities would receive a lot of bookings. When you compare Charlotte as a business city to many other cities with smaller airports that have onsite hotels, I'm amazed that Charlotte doesn't have one, or two, actually at the airport.

Speaking as someone who has to work in the PHL airport regularly, I can tell you it is indeed a miserable place to fly through. Due to air space constraints (sandwiched between NYC and DC), it is rife with ATC delays. We often joke that a passing cloud can shut it down. Further complicating matters is that traffic using the outside parallel runway is forced to cross the inside parallel to get a/c to gates. Coupled with tight apron and taxiway space, even when ATC is running smoothly, local traffic backs up just getting airplanes in and out of the alleyways. Passengers have even coined a new term for PHL operations--they refer to delays there as "the Philly Phactor". To add insult to injury, the terminal is woefully outdated (the City of Brotherly Love is responsible for maintenance in most areas). In the past month alone, two jet bridges have collapsed due to the PHL Airport Authority not keeping up with routine maintenance on them. Thankfully, they were not in use at the time.

I think Charlotte is a natural candidate for all three. There are a ton of business travelers coming into Charlotte, so many delayed flights that people get stuck all the time, and a nice hotel with nice meeting facilities would receive a lot of bookings. When you compare Charlotte as a business city to many other cities with smaller airports that have on site hotels, I'm amazed that Charlotte doesn't have one, or two, actually at the airport.
I am in complete agreement here. Knoxville, Hartford, Providence, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Cincinnati, Dayton, Orlando, Kansas City, and Cleveland are just a few of the cities of our size that have on-site hotels. Of those, only CVG and CLE operate as hubs. Most all of these hotels are heavily utilized for business meetings due to the convenience factor of being able to fly workers in and out with ease.