Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

If they do end up building a hotel at the CLT airport I hope they take a few design ques from the Westin at the Detroit Airport. I have had the pleasure of staying there recently and that is a top notch hotel. The best thing about it is that the hotel has its own security checkpoint into the terminal as well as check in/ ticket counter.

Speaking as someone who has to work in the PHL airport regularly, I can tell you it is indeed a miserable place to fly through. Due to air space constraints (sandwiched between NYC and DC), it is rife with ATC delays. We often joke that a passing cloud can shut it down. Further complicating matters is that traffic using the outside parallel runway is forced to cross the inside parallel to get a/c to gates. Coupled with tight apron and taxiway space, even when ATC is running smoothly, local traffic backs up just getting airplanes in and out of the alleyways. Passengers have even coined a new term for PHL operations--they refer to delays there as "the Philly Phactor". To add insult to injury, the terminal is woefully outdated (the City of Brotherly Love is responsible for maintenance in most areas). In the past month alone, two jet bridges have collapsed due to the PHL Airport Authority not keeping up with routine maintenance on them. Thankfully, they were not in use at the time.

I am in complete agreement here. Knoxville, Hartford, Providence, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Cincinnati, Dayton, Orlando, Kansas City, and Cleveland are just a few of the cities of our size that have on-site hotels. Of those, only CVG and CLE operate as hubs. Most all of these hotels are heavily utilized for business meetings due to the convenience factor of being able to fly workers in and out with ease.

Even the dead, 1/8 the size of CLT, ROC or Rochester NY Airport has an onsite hotel, that I hear does or at least did well.

Who do you hear this from?

About the hotel? I've flown into there several times recently and used to live near there long ago. The hotel used to pack, especially during winter months where snow storms would delay and cause passengers to stay over night. The 1/8 the size? I don't know what percentage of CLT it is, but that airport is MUCH smaller than here and has a LOT less traveling in it.

JW how does the Saturday only seasonal service from CLT-EGE do.......is their enough to make it daily
Flew EGE two weeks ago. What a view!! The 757 was pretty full going in and out, but that's because it's weekly service. As I understand it, only United offers year-round service (from ORD). There's just not that much demand for flights there outside of ski season.

Flew EGE two weeks ago. What a view!! The 757 was pretty full going in and out, but that's because it's weekly service. As I understand it, only United offers year-round service (from ORD). There's just not that much demand for flights there outside of ski season.
oh that is new this year but heres the rest of the Year round stuff is AA to Dfw and UA to DEn....is their still a phl-ege flight? Edited by CltFlyer

75 more flight attendants are needed in CLT for May08. That makes over 300 additional flight attendants that have been added in CLT from Nov07 to May08. Of course some have retired or quit, but that is an impressive number for any base in the USAirways system. I think we will continue to see new routes added out of Charlotte this year.

US Airways didn't get approved for CLT-Bogota service :( I would think their bungling of PHL-Beijing might have something to do with it. That's a real shame, because I'm not sure where else they would launch South American service.

Dang... that's a bummer. Wonder how this affects our chances at other South American cities? I know it doesn't help.

What I don't understand is how JetBlue got approval to Bogota and US Airways doesn't? JetBlue has minimal international exposure and Orlando isn't even a hub for them. They can go to about a dozen US cities from Orlando.
Delta already has Bog from Atl CO already has bog from Iah and EWR SPirit already flys to another Columbian city....and what does dot do......not allow a carry that has no service to South America and give the rest additional service..........US is giong to apeal for sure......

BOG would probably be flown with a 757 or A320. According to some big wigs from Tempe yesterday at the CLT Training Center, the airline is still waiting word from the Colombian government, althought the media there have reported that service will begin (just as Wikipedia said) in October. The higher ups also said that CDG will more than likely be back in the Spring of 2009.
thsi and the fact that airlines havn't announced anything about this new service to columbia on their website makes me wonder i this was just a saying or if this really was approved.....know wht i mean.

From the Charlotte business Journal. This would be a nice addition to Charlotte. Would this speed up the new international Terminal?

US Airways Group Inc. could reinstate a direct flight to Paris from Charlotte next year.

Andrew Nocella, senior vice president of scheduling and planning, says the airline plans to add European service from the Queen City in 2009 and 2010.

From the Charlotte business Journal. This would be a nice addition to Charlotte. Would this speed up the new international Terminal?

US Airways Group Inc. could reinstate a direct flight to Paris from Charlotte next year.

Andrew Nocella, senior vice president of scheduling and planning, says the airline plans to add European service from the Queen City in 2009 and 2010.

Not only would it maybe speed up the need for the new International terminal, but I think it would create a domino effect of new European routes out of Charlotte.