Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Yeah, that was my point. I was just wondering what that had to do with Charlotte specifically. I would rather, as I think most people would, that guns NOT be fired during a flight, regardless of the route!!

I just think that fact that this happened during a Charlotte route was just a coincidence, although the fact that it was a US Airways pilot increased the chance of it happening during a Charlotte leg.

Honestly it doesn't bother me that the pilots carry guns, I just think this was a very isolated incident.

Yeah, that was my point. I was just wondering what that had to do with Charlotte specifically. ....
I thought I explained that. It got Charlotte a mention in the not only national news, but the global news as well and it continues today. This topic has talked about such things as the state of Jerry Orr, how bad that airline treats its employees, a bunch of unrelated stuff about other airports, airplanes, food, and so forth. Do you want an explanation on why any of these should be in this topic as well?

I don't know if my post just didn't post or what, so I'm trying this again.

I'm not trying to be insulting, my point is, are you saying that this puts Charlotte in a positive or negative light? Honestly, I'm guessing that most people that hear about this don't think anything about the cities involved, but are focusing more on the airline instead.

So I'll ask; do you guys think this is a negative for Charlotte, or do you think that people just won't care one way or the other about which city was the destination?

It doesn't affect Charlotte or the airport in any way, positive or negative. It is just a coincidence that it happened here and the news agencies, local, national, and international are going to pounce on it because armed pilots is a controversial topic and would cover the story the same whether it happened here, Los Angeles, or some podunk town in the middle of nowhere.

That means I don't have to see Charlotte-Douglas for another two months!!!!!!!!!!

It is not that bad is it?

I always love flying into Charlotte with the queen city in the background. You know you are home when you are walking down concourse B with all the US Airways aircraft and the statue of Queen Charlotte at the pickup place ;)

I'm not sure that this incident really puts any emphasis on Charlotte itself. It is just merely a setting for an event in the news. An event that didn't even happen here, just happened to land here. It puts Charlotte's name out there in a blurb, but nothing else. The focus is more on the airline and is not bad for the city's appearance at all.

Reading back through this thread, it really amazes me that in all the cities in this world, we'd actually rank 30th overall in passenger traffic. My uneducated guess would've been around 50th at best. With all the major European, Asian, and American cultural, business, and population hubs like Beijing, Hong Kong, London, Chicago, etc. I wouldn't place Charlotte's need for that much air traffic anywhere near the top tiers. But, looking at US Air, it does make sense. I wish that another airline would make a big push to help water down US Air's monopoly. Asian routes are basically out of the question due to geography at this point, but with the emergence of technology it's not out of the question in the next decade if Charlotte continues to grow. Being the only major market in the U.S. to not see falling housing prices bodes well for Charlotte's future economy outside of the success or demise of the rest of the country assuming the banks don't continue to keep taking hits.

I'm not trying to be insulting, my point is, are you saying that this puts Charlotte in a positive or negative light? Honestly, I'm guessing that most people that hear about this don't think anything about the cities involved, but are focusing more on the airline instead.

So I'll ask; do you guys think this is a negative for Charlotte, or do you think that people just won't care one way or the other about which city was the destination?

Ahh that is a different question than you first asked. That is if this accident/incident should even be in this topic or not which I believe it should be and which the local news programs seem to agree to as well. The plane apparently is now grounded at the Charlotte airport while they perform the the investigation and look at the damage to the cockpit. That would seem to deserve at least a mention in a topic where we have talked about the color of the carpet in the airport.

To answer your new question I think it is good for Charlotte as it does not reflect badly on the city but it does manage to get Charlotte mentioned in 1000s of newspapers and media sources around the world. Wouldn't you agree that global exposure, even a neutral one, is good for the city? The chamber of commerce can't pay for that kind of notice.

BTW, an air marshal on the morning news said a gun such as what the pilot was carrying could not be accidentally discharged. So there may be more to this story.

For those wondering about the Overlook;

Hello Mr. Perez,

Thank you for your email. I was told by CLT's planner that the Overlook will remain open throughout construction of the new runway, which is anticipated to be completed in early 2010. The Overlook may even remain in its current location after the completion of the runway.

I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions or any comments.

Best regards,

Erika L. Helm

Public Affairs

Charlotte Douglas International Airport

[email protected]

Hello Mr. Perez,

Thank you for your email. I was told by CLT's planner that the Overlook will remain open throughout construction of the new runway, which is anticipated to be completed in early 2010. The Overlook may even remain in its current location after the completion of the runway.

I hope this answers your questions. Feel free to contact me if you have additional questions or any comments.

Best regards,

Erika L. Helm

Public Affairs

Charlotte Douglas International Airport

[email protected]

They'll allow planewatchers to be in between two parallel runways!?!?! WOW. Dangerous, but an incredible view!

Hello Mr. Perez,

Very exciting news. The overlook is a neat part of the airport and it looks like we'll be able to enjoy it for at least another two years. I have wondered this off and on over the past year or so, thanks for looking into it.

Looks like US has added nonstop Montreal (YUL) service from CLT, for the third time. This time, they appear to be doing it with a slightly larger (and more comfortable), but still Express, aircraft, the E175.

Looks like its loaded in the schedule starting this July.

8:00 PM 01 Aug 2008

Charlotte, NC 10:23 PM 01 Aug 2008

Montreal, Canada

8:00 AM 08 Aug 2008

Montreal, Canada 10:32 AM 08 Aug 2008

Charlotte, NC

3313Republic Airlines

Non Stop Details / Seats

2 h 32 m

US Airways is also adding additional frequencies and up-sizing some aircraft.

San Antonio and Austin will have a 3rd daily non-stop flight.

Portland Me will have an additional flight added for a total of two and they will be on Embraer 175's a much nicer ride than the RJ's that seat 50 passengers.

NY/JFK will also be an Embraer.

The early AM departures to San Diego and Seattle are back. For a total of 2 daily non stops in each market.

Great news about the increase in flight frequencies for Austin, San Antonio, Seattle and San Diego! The addition (or return) of Montreal is a good one as well. One of my friends that recently moved here is originally from Montreal and he will be pleased to hear that. I find it interesting that they have already increased the frequency of Austin and San Antonio since they haven't started those routes just yet. Maybe it's the demand?

They'll allow planewatchers to be in between two parallel runways!?!?! WOW. Dangerous, but an incredible view!

Yeah, that's a little hard to believe. Here's the overlook, represented by the red block:

CurrentOverlook.jpg

The purple runway to the west is the new one. It's hard for me to believe that the FAA would permit the overlook to remain where it is. I could see them moving it a few hundred feet northwest when Old Dowd Rd is realigned.

It's already one of the best airport overlooks. If it stays, it will be simply spectacular when the new runway is finished.

The overlook at RDU is between 2 active parallel runways. If they can do it there I dont see why we can't do it here in Charlotte. The real conflict I would see with the current overlook is if it gets in the way of the planned Intermodal Rail yard that would go between the New Runway and the current Left Runway.

I don't recall anyone answering this before. Can anyone explain why the third parallel runway is so far away from the other two? There is so much space between them that could have been used and they have said that the amount of fuel burned up taxing to it would offset anything that was saved by not waiting in line for the other existing two and that it would often be used just to land more planes in a hurry during bad weather.

Because you need that much lateral separation to conduct simultanous take-offs and landings. Like you mentioned, it really only becomes useful during inclement weather, when planes are required to have longer separation between landings, so things gets really congested/delayed. This runway would relieve that by essentially increasing poor weather capacity by 50%.

I guess you're right. Looking at the map above, the new runway appears to be pretty much the same distance apart as the other two runways. It's kinda an optical illusion. The other two just have the advantage of having the terminal in between them, effectively cutting the taxiing distance in half.