Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

picky picky......it is good to see them flying to BWI since I loathe Dulles.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL. agreed. Dulles is so inconvenient. I wonder if we'll have any direct flights or if it will all shuttle through Atlanta (as most of their other southeast airports do). A quick, cheap flight to Savannah/Hilton Head would be very nice.

WBTV couldn't wait for tomorrow. They have announced Air Tran's arrival as a sure thing as the lead story on their 6pm news.

No immediate mention on channel 9. Their lead story was on the North's breakaway from CMS. On their 5:58 news cast. LOL

I've quit bothering with channel 36 (NBC 6 to you cablephiles)

WBTV couldn't wait for tomorrow.  They have announced Air Tran's arrival as a sure thing as the lead story on their 6pm news. 

No immediate mention on channel 9.  Their lead story was on the North's breakaway from CMS.  On their 5:58 news cast.  LOL 

I've quit bothering with channel 36  (NBC 6 to you cablephiles)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is there local news on television? I think i must have my v-chip set to block out all "OH MY GOD I THINK IT IS GOING TO SNOW AND EVERYONE WILL DIE" and "BLACK MALE SHOOTS OLD LADY WHILE SINGING IN CHURCH, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BEDROOM, EVER"

:)

Back to the point... I think airtran is a better addition to charlotte than ata was, but i'm not sure why it is such major news.

I didnt know this but after going to Air Tran's website some of the planes in their fleet have been equipped with XM Satellite Radio. That'll be a nice feature if you have a long flight.

Do we get a discount on air-fare if we're already an XM subscriber? :P

AirTran coming to Charlotte is a big deal due to the HIGH airfares we have....their presence will lower airfares on many routes out of Charlotte...especially Atlanta and Baltimore. It is also likely they will expand their service from Charlotte to include some Florida markets.

Edited by uptownliving

Has anyone seen the new Charlotte Douglas airport parking garage? I got a glimpse of it on Thurs night, but it wasnt really lighted because I dont think it's finished. Im sure it looks much better in daylight.

Anyway, from what I could tell, it looks pretty darn cool...some very modern touches. I will try and take a photo when i get back next week.

Edited by SmellyCat

• 1 month later...

It doesn't have too much info, but here is the official Construction Update:http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Airpor...%20CLT/home.htm.

Apparently the runway starts construction "Spring 2005", so if it hasn't already, it will begin soon.

CLTs plans are also to extend the main runway, too. I think that the new runway will expand capacity, which improves cargo and passenger times. the runway extension helps bring larger, long distance planes, which allows airlines to increase their own capacity over time.

I've seen renderings of the airport its master planned state, posted on one of these forums, but i'm not sure where they are.

thank you, U/L.

I think it is exciting that they included a streetcar/light rail right of way. I am hopeful that streetcar service will be added to the west corridor as discussed in the transit thread. It will be a nice boost to charlotte if the street car can be taken from the terminal to Trade and Tryon.

Much of CLT's long term strategy, and is also reflected in the plans for the east side of the master plan is for small commuter jets, which seems to be a growth market with and without usairways.

Other than that, if usairways hub no longer exists in CLT, it just means that expansions will not occur as quickly until local traffic requires it.

There was a lot of discussion of impacts if usairway's fails in a few other threads.

here is the most recent:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...sairways+demise

• 4 weeks later...

More Parking Spots At Airport

CHARLOTTE, NC -- You can expect to have more places to park at Charlotte Douglas Airport this week.

A new parking deck is expected to open sometime between Monday and Friday.

It was supposed to open on Sunday, but the airport is waiting on a couple of inspections to be completed.

It will cost a dollar an hour to park there...up to six dollars per day.

• 2 weeks later...

I think at this time it is ranked as the 16 largest airport in terms of total operations. Atlanta is either 1 or 2 (with Chicago O'Hare).

Do you guys think that Charlotte Douglas will ever become a lot bigger. More a long the lines of Orlando, Washington Dulles, or maybe even Atlanta.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>