Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

I hadn't been out to the airport since they completed the "E" terminal. I think they missed an opportunity to open up the East facing wall with glass - I think there could have a been a great view of downtown there.

I also was sure to drive out toward the Intermodal Yards construction. It looks as if the the bridges are all built (including a crossover I could see in between the runways) and the beds are about ready for rails to be put down... I'm no where near an expert on that though...

^^^The current intermodal yard land is need for the BLE and also for the new LRV storage facility so it will most likely be demolished as soon as the new intermodal yard opens. NCDOT also wants to build passenger by-pass tracks to get passenger trains quicker through the NS railyard, these are also planned in the current location of the intermodal yard.

Looks like Southwest will start using there own metal in Charlotte starting in April as they switch from Airtran. They will have flights to BWI x 2, MDW x 2 , HOU x 1, and MCO x 1. No more ATL service though.

Doesn't that seem really odd since ATL is currently AirTran's largest hub? I wonder if Southwest is going to scale down service in ATL.

Looks like Southwest will start using there own metal in Charlotte starting in April as they switch from Airtran. They will have flights to BWI x 2, MDW x 2 , HOU x 1, and MCO x 1. No more ATL service though.

You airport people crack me up with always using the airport codes. I always feel like I'm reading a teenager's text message on this board.

You airport people crack me up with always using the airport codes. I always feel like I'm reading a teenager's text message on this board.

I do it too sometimes out of habit. I travel quite a bit and after a while, you just learn the lingo. I didn't even think twice about the destinations listed when I read them, but I can see how it could be confusing if you don't travel a bunch.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

US Airways and South African Airways have reached a codeshare agreement per Charlotte Biz Journals. While there is no mention of specific service through Charlotte (or other US Airways hub cities) there is this tidbit: "Travelers on South African Airways will have options to fly to various U.S. destinations through US Airways’ hub cities of Charlotte, Philadelphia and Phoenix. An added route to Dakar, Senegal, is pending government approval." Read into it what you will, but it's possible that CLT may get some South African routes at some point. That would be huge IMO.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2012/12/18/us-airways-and-south-african-airways.html

^Not sure I would go with the word "never" ... I bet there were plenty of people who never thought CLT would get service to South America. And now a 2nd city is being added there from CLT. I would agree that it's not likely, but wouldn't rule it out. Especially if the American/US Airways merger happens. A majority of analysts have said that CLT would likely become the 2nd busiest hub (behind DFW) for the world's biggest airline. 

I did some digging and it looks like African Airways would feed flights to CLT from the following US Airports (this is proposed for the codeshare):

Washington DC (IAD)

JFK
Denver (DEN)
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH)
Las Vegas (LAS)
Los Angeles (LAX)
Miami (MIA)
Chicago O'Hare International (ORD)
San Francisco (SFO)
San Diego (SAN)

Merging with American would 100% make CLT a never for Africa. American has been rumored to launch MIami-Africa routes for years.

I'll admit, even myself I was shocked when Rome, Madrid, and Dublin were announced. South America seemed logical to me. If US had the aircraft, I believe they would've launched Santiago, Chile no doubt.

I personally expect our South American flights and European flights to disappear though (excluding frankfurt, Munich, London, Madrid and maybe Paris) a net plus in daily flights (to the Midwest)

US has only 2 viable options now for long haul international flights. Combined here will be 7 options (Chicago, NYC, Miami, LA, Dallas, and Philadelphia and Charlotte). No doubt we will be above and beyond the 2nd largest American hub though

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

When Sao Paulo service begins next year it will be the 35th International Destination with Non-Stop flights to Charlotte. I can remember back during the Final Four in 1994 and hearing another passenger laughing and saying that Charlotte's airport was "International in name only". We have certainly come a long way since then.

According to airline schedules London Heathrow will replace London Gatwick service next year. No surprise there.

In construction news the West Hourly Deck will be closed next week and demolition will begin Jan 14th. This will begin the process of making way for the expanded ticketing and dropoff/ pickup areas.

Phase 1 of the new Hourly Deck is slated to open next summer, June 2013.

I personally expect our South American flights and European flights to disappear though (excluding frankfurt, Munich, London, Madrid and maybe Paris) a net plus in daily flights (to the Midwest)

US has only 2 viable options now for long haul international flights. Combined here will be 7 options (Chicago, NYC, Miami, LA, Dallas, and Philadelphia and Charlotte). No doubt we will be above and beyond the 2nd largest American hub though

but wouldn't it make sense to run your long haul international flights from your largest hub? Assuming those flights are mostly made up of connecting passengers and not local passengers?

CLT international flights are around for the long haul.  Knowing Doug Parker's business plan, if the flights don't have a positive revenue stream, US Airways doesn't fly them (see CLT-HNL (sorry, Charlotte to Honolulu)).  What AirNostrum and I disagree on is that, in my view, regardless of AA's MIA hub, American Airlines HAS to compete with Delta and its ATL hub.  The only Southeastern city capable of doing that is Charlotte.  MIA is simply too far south for good connecting opportunities and it's FAR too expensive to operate as a major connecting complex.  Jerry Orr, love him or hate him, has made a career of making and keeping CLT the cheapest hub operation in the world.  

For someone in the know, can Charlotte maintain its low cost of operations as the city expands? Atlanta seems to provide a good case study since they are both hubs and relatively spartan compared to some of the more extravagant airports, but I'm not sure how much larger CLT can scale in the long term (beyond the existing plans).

For someone in the know, can Charlotte maintain its low cost of operations as the city expands? Atlanta seems to provide a good case study since they are both hubs and relatively spartan compared to some of the more extravagant airports, but I'm not sure how much larger CLT can scale in the long term (beyond the existing plans).

I'm not sure what you're asking.  Being spartan is why CLT is what it is.  The airport has virtually no debt coupled with a Aa3 bond rating. That being said, it's currently on a billion dollar expansion program that will provide new concourses, a fourth parallel runway, new entrance roads, and a new international terminal.  But those projects are being built on an as needed basis.  From the Charlotte Observer: When asked if US Airways and Charlotte would clash over the cost of (Jerry) Orr’s proposed expansions, Parker said no. “We’ve never had an issue with Charlotte,” the US Airways CEO told the (Charlotte) Observer. “The airport is very efficient. It doesn’t spend money it doesn’t need to spend.”

Edited by Miesian Corners