Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Oh! You're right, baggage claim is ghetto!

Horrible.

Not as bad as Midway, but horrible still. I love to play, "Guess the zone" when picking up luggage. They NEVER tell you where your luggage is coming out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'm pretty sure midway has renovated all theirs by now. They had a big rebuilding program over the last few years.

Thanks for the Mauve definition. Looks purple to me... but i'm an crayola-classic (8 colors) kind a guy.

Thanks for the Mauve definition.  Looks purple to me... but i'm an crayola-classic (8 colors) kind a guy.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Purple doesn't do it justice. Mauve has pink in it. Hideous.

I hired a house painter once who recommended that I paint my living room mauve. Needless to say, he had to be fired.

Part of what makes CLT's baggage claim area so junky is that the new area down at International Arrivals has terazzo floors and new signage. The terazzo suddenly stops and becomes <ahem> mauve and purple carpet, then it becomes the old pea green carpet.

Has anybody seen the new parking garage? Interesting.

Purple doesn't do it justice.  Mauve has pink in it.  Hideous. 

I hired a house painter once who recommended that I paint my living room mauve.  Needless to say, he had to be fired.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had an ex BF who decided to paint my bathroom mauve while I was away on a business trip with a paint brush no less. He eventually met the same fate as the your house painter.

I don't think there is much you can do with this color but paint over it. :silly:

I do in fact like Midway - certainly prefer flying in there than O'Hare.  Plus Midway is a very short trip from downtown Chicago.  Though the walking route to the subway station is bizarre.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is one thing MDW has going for it...it's just a stones throw from the loop.

US Airways and America West are merging. They complement eachother very well, Charlotte will continue to be a main hub, as well as Philly, Phoenix and Vegas.

It will make cross country flights from Charlotte much less expensive, and supposedly be a much more solid company financially.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/liv...el/11688579.htm

Other threads on the topic:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7665

the imment announcement has arrived. the companies have now announced that they are, in fact, merging, and new capital has been infused to the tune of 1.5 bill.

And an update on the hubs:

Once fully integrated, the airline plans to have primary hubs in Charlotte, Phoenix and Philadelphia, and secondary hubs in Las Vegas and Pittsburgh. The merged airline plans to have focus cities in Boston, New York/LaGuardia, Washington, D.C., and Fort Lauderdale.

http://www.shareholder.com/americawest/Rel...eleaseID=163980

i agree. take a look at their route maps. they are incredibly complementary. America west is almost enirely west coast and mexico, and us airways is almost entirely east coast and carribean (although usairways has a little europe). It will be interesting to see if they keep their united code share for international or at all.

I'm most excited that charlotte will be a major hub for the new stronger, larger, and hopefully more stable and lower-cost airline.

I was surprised to see that they chose to downgrade vegas, but i guess it is higher cost. But it was clear that something had to be done, considering how close and redundant a vegas hub and phoenix hub are.

I am pretty upbeat about this deal, any change is good for this airline.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

haters!!! all of you :)

It might have something to do with the lack of space and rising opperating costs at McCarran (LV airport). Check out the thread i just posted on the expected growth in travel through this airport and the need for a quickened $ 2.4 billion build-out. If Phoenix has greater potential for steady long-term growth then it's a wise choice IMO.

... haters!

US Airways and America West Agree to Merge

What type of effect do you think this will have on the future of US Airways' hub in Charlotte?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could quite possibly be the first step towards making CLT a mjaor hub in the US (a la Dallas or Atlanta). This would take many, many years.

Charlotte could become a hub for international flyers coming from PHX or Seattle, for example.

It will definitely become a hub from those from the West Coast wanting to go to the Virgin Islands, Bermuda, etc

Edited by jb4563

Could quite possibly be the first step towards making CLT a mjaor hub in the US (a la Dallas or Atlanta).  This would take many, many years.

Charlotte could become a hub for international flyers coming from PHX or Seattle, for example.

It will definitely become a hub from those from the West Coast wanting to go to the Virgin Islands, Bermuda, etc

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hence the runway improvements and the building of a longer runway for the heavies. The airport manager is very smart with his building.

Report: FedEx hub hitting home prices

The sale prices of homes in neighborhoods surrounding Piedmont Triad International Airport fell after the project was announced, according to a study by two faculty members at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Homes within a 2 1/2-mile radius of the airport saw the largest decline, an average of $15,622 in sale prices from 1999 to June 2004.

Think that the same effect occurred here when USAir first brought their hub here? What about with an increase in air traffic related to the merger? If Charlotte is THE hub of the East Coast, there would be a huge jump in air traffic.

Edited by Raintree21

Yes indeed, the properties out there by the airport aren't the nicest anyway, and I don't think adding another runway would affect them in any way.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't say that is totally true. Yes, Wilkinson Boulevard has some ghetto to it, but what about areas like Little Rock Road? There are some old growth houses in that area and some new developments around. What about Steele Creek and others?