Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

It feels like any board member with an airport in their district, especially if the airport is not under the oversight of the regional authority, would by default have a conflict of interest. If they are able to make or approve strategic decisions, they could significantly impact the market for private planes business at CLT. I know this is not a major component of Charlotte's traffic, but it is still business that the Johnson or others could steal for their own airports.

Edited by carolinagarnet

Is there a reason why they want to take the airport out of Carlotte's hands? Is the airport losing money? Reports of mismanagment? Or is it just another random action the republican controlled legislature is doing to "punish and/or take away power from" the democratically controlled cities? I find what they are doing sort of like "biting the hand that feeds them"...without the cities where would NC be? Could you imagine if, say, Rocky Mount or Gastomia were the largest cities in the state?! *sigh*

Edited by NCMike1981

Between the CIP, the airport authority and the Street car...this upcoming mayoral election is going to be a flat out dog-fight.  That said, this entire "regional authority" is an absolute joke and makes me sick.  If it passes as currently being discussed; with surrounding counties putting their dirty hands in our pot, I may vomit.

Between the CIP, the airport authority and the Street car...this upcoming mayoral election is going to be a flat out dog-fight. That said, this entire "regional authority" is an absolute joke and makes me sick. If it passes as currently being discussed; with surrounding counties putting their dirty hands in our pot, I may vomit.

I think those issues are going to wrap up in a few months. The CIP seems promising to pass soon, the Streetcar Is coming to a consensus it seems (to wait until the legislature changes) & the airport authority might be the hot topic of the moment.

But I can't imagine any candidate being for the bill. Andy Dulin is going ape crap. Any candidate for the authority would be shredded.

^agree and disagree.  I agree with your basic general timeline for the issues being wrapped up, but the disagree is that they won't be issues in the campaign.

Case in point does anyone think that the 2007 half cent transit tax issue is "over" in certain constituent minds?  Yes the matter itself is over - but how much pandering is still done in regards to that and what effect did the shadow of that have on the discussions of the streetcar and the panthers?

Some people lick wounds long after they have healed and I think this election is going to be a referendum on Foxx even though he is not running.

The airport authority - could - be a saving grace for Democrats and divert a race from "streetcar referendum" to "The GOP wants to punish us"

Then again, it's so far away and so many variables. I'd LIKE to see an airport authority. It's a good idea. Though our airport is the most efficient & well run airports in the entire world right there with Atlanta. I'd be open to an Authority. But mostly from Mecklenburg, & Charlotte. I wouldn't even mind a representative of Metro Charlotte. But this whole stripping us of our airport is looney.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/04/12/3978781/orr-foresees-world-business-center.html

Can anyone explain the purpose of having this "Charlotte World Trade Center" by the airport instead of uptown???

Would that land be turned over to the state or remain city owned? Who would finance the World Trade Center? The state or City? Or Gaston, Cabarrus, Meck, Gaston, Union, Iredell & Lincoln? Edited by AirNostrumMAD

In other news, Southwest Airlines flights start today.  2x daily to Chicago-Midway.  2x daily to Baltimore-Washington and 1x daily to houston and Orlando.  ATL will not be retained, which i find odd.  Interesting Southwest seems to be using (perhap flightstats.com) seems to be using gate A8 heavily instead of A6, which Air Tran mainly used.  Does anyone have a rendering of this World Trade Center?  I doubt it would be that large being so close to the airport. 

Edited by CltFlyer

^  I thought the same thing about Atlanta originally.  But,it's my understanding that given Southwest's route network compared with Air Tran, Southwest doesn't want to compete against US and Delta on a short route like Atlanta.  It's not relying on connections on the Atlanta end, but is instead focused on less competitive routes.

Edited by allthingsplanes

^  I thought the same thing about Atlanta originally.  But,it's my understanding that given Southwest's route network compared with Air Tran, Southwest doesn't want to compete against US and Delta on a short route like Atlanta.  It's not relying on connections on the Atlanta end, but is instead focused on less competitive routes.

I think its a wrong business model out of Charlotte. I think if they did a little more research they would find people are fed up with the high prices and they would do very well with more congested routes like Atlanta, Miami, and even the LA area...

Would that land be turned over to the state or remain city owned? Who would finance the World Trade Center? The state or City? Or Gaston, Cabarrus, Meck, Gaston, Union, Iredell & Lincoln?

Nothing would be state owned.  The state wouldn't own the airport, the Airport Authority would, just like a private business or a church, or a foundation,or a public (or private) university or whatever owns their own land and buildings, with a person in charge and a board or directors.

In the case of the World Trade Center, it would presumably be owned by the Authority.  It would be purchased and financed by the Authority.  I would also presume that Orr believes it would be a profitable enterprise, but if not, the shortfalls would be paid out of airport revenue (landing fees, parking fees, retail shop rents, etc.). 

http://www.wbtv.com/story/21975731/southwest-airlines-lands-in-charlotte

nothing new in this article except for one interesting line.  "More flights will be added in the upcoming weeks." interesting for Southwest to say this and look forward to any additions.

Actually, I think that's just some shoddy reporting. Southwest never indicated that more destinations were imminent. They said from all the other reports I've seen, that they will take a wait and see approach on new routes based on how well the four SW routes do out of CLT. I still think they will add a few new destinations at some point down the road.

Actually, I think that's just some shoddy reporting. Southwest never indicated that more destinations were imminent. They said from all the other reports I've seen, that they will take a wait and see approach on new routes based on how well the four SW routes do out of CLT. I still think they will add a few new destinations at some point down the road.

What do you think could come on board next?  The ones I could maybe see are Kansas City (though they've been downsizing there), Denver (but that's up against both US/AA and UA), Las Vegas, and maybe Tampa or Fort Lauderdale.  Maybe St. Louis. 

What do you think could come on board next?  The ones I could maybe see are Kansas City (though they've been downsizing there), Denver (but that's up against both US/AA and UA), Las Vegas, and maybe Tampa or Fort Lauderdale.  Maybe St. Louis. 

DISCLAIMER: By no means am I an expert in this field. Just going off of what I see as current destinations from other airlines and generally speaking to people I know or what other experts say.

I think Las Vegas, Denver, Dallas-Love (whenever that silly rule expires that limits where SW flies from Dallas Love Field) and Tampa are slam dunks. There could be a few other destinations like maybe Nashville and Orlando sprinkled in there too. United (not as a partner of US Airways) used to fly non-stop to Denver, but that route ceased around the time of the Great Recession. Actually kind of surprised that they didn't restart it by now because from what I understood, the route did well. 

I would guess Nashville, St. Louis, Or Atlanta next.

If JetBlue doesn't already fly to Ft. Llauderdale, I would say Spirit Airlines or JetBlue could start the route.

As far as American, I wonder how many flights to London we'll get. AMR has a war chest of frequent flyers & corporate contracts.