Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

^ Yes.

The state may have control, but without DOT approval, the city will be the one to rubber stamp, approve, etc Fed. Dollars, etc.

As far as I know.

^ Yes.

The state may have control, but without DOT approval, the city will be the one to rubber stamp, approve, etc Fed. Dollars, etc.

As far as I know.

Edit:

A judge blocked the transfer anyway. July 29th is he hearing.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

It boils down to this (from Observer)

Charlotte City Manager Ron Carlee said Orr had resigned. “Jerry Orr wrote me today that his “employment as Executive Director of the Airport Authority commenced and {his} employment by the City as Aviation Director terminated” with passage of the state legislation,” Carlee said in a statement.

“With his self-proclaimed termination, I notified Mr. Orr that I was naming Brent Cagle as Interim Aviation Director. Mr. Cagle is the Chief Financial Officer of the Airport. He immediately assumes full responsibility for the Charlotte-Douglas International Airport,” Carlee said.

Orr said he did not mean the letter to be a resignation of his city job.

Hey guys,

I am thinking about submitting the following text to the Observer as an editorial...Tell me what you think.

It has finally come to fruition.  After months of haranguing characterized by its acrimonious tone, the airport authority bill finally became law…And shortly thereafter, it was no longer valid, at least not for the time.  As a result, the first casualty of what appears to be a lengthy legal battle in the making was the very person the authority bill sought to protect from the “pernicious” whims of the city: Jerry Orr.

I must begin by saying that I am concerned for the future of the airport and by extension the city in which it resides.  I must also however note that I am proud today to be a Charlottean.  For a day seemingly so dark, I should not be proud, but I should be terrified.  Yet I find myself elated by one unreported facet of the news; the city of Charlotte finally held the line against the tyrannical notions of the North Carolina legislature; a legislature that has grown so grotesque that I am nearly ashamed to call myself a North Carolinian.   Today that group of insufferable popinjays led by the Ruth Samuelsons and Bob Ruchos, as a result of their arrogance, has received a legal battle none of them wanted.  It is a battle which will hopefully result in the restoration of the airport as a city department, and serve as an inspiration to other cities attempting to stave off the heavy hand of the incompetent lot that we currently call “lawmakers”. 

Today we can celebrate, as Charlotteans, the first shots in what will be a legal revolution against the tyranny of the legislature; a tyranny which has been relentless in its pursuit of wresting every last ounce of autonomy from any municipal governing body.  No longer should they expect to traipse about the halls of the Legislative building issuing draconian edicts aimed at denigrating our local institutions and communities without resistance.

To Senator Rucho and Congresswoman Samuelson, in your antipathy for Charlotte, you have used subterfuge and other underhanded tactics to punish our fair city, and then decried our complaints against it as frivolous and petulant.  Your tactics meant to consolidate all power in Raleigh are antonymous  to the traditional conservative ideal of letting local communities shape their own identities.  While the authority may still be upheld in court, it is my sincerest hope that the impending lawsuit will, at a minimum, be taken as a warning against needlessly meddling in local affairs.  The city was a fine owner of the airport long before either of you ever cast a vote in the legislature.  It is offensive to think that you somehow now fancy yourselves experts of the aviation industry and hub economics despite your lack of dealing in either. 

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 2

The point that seems to be missed here (by the Rucho/Samuelson crowd is that by attempting to remove politics from the airport, politics were injected right into the middle of it. My favorite part is how we may end up with a regional airport authority that doesn't control all of the airports in the region. This bill is an ineffective solution to a problem that should never have existed.

The one positive here is that this bill will be news for everyone in North Carolina if it goes though, and it will be a shining example of how out of touch and authoritarian our illustrious General Assembly has become.

• Like 2

For your reading pleasure, as sent to the editor...Hopefully to be published soon in the Charlotte Observer:

It has finally come to fruition.  After months of haranguing characterized by its acrimonious tone, the airport authority bill finally became law…And shortly thereafter, it was no longer valid, at least not for the time.  As a result, the first casualty of what appears to be a lengthy legal battle in the making was the very person the authority bill sought to protect from the “pernicious” whims of the city: Jerry Orr.

I must begin by saying that I am concerned for the future of the airport and by extension the city in which it resides.  I must also however note that I am proud today to be a Charlottean.  For a time seemingly so dark, I should not be proud, I should be terrified.  Yet I find myself elated by one unreported implication of the news; the city of Charlotte finally held the line against the dictatorial proclivities of the North Carolina legislature; a legislature that has grown so grotesque that I am nearly ashamed to call myself a North Carolinian.   Today that group of insufferable popinjays led by the Ruth Samuelsons and Bob Ruchos, as a result of their arrogance, has received a legal battle none of them wanted.  It is a battle which will hopefully result in the restoration of the airport as a city department, and serve as an inspiration to other cities attempting to stave off the heavy hand of the incompetent lot that we currently call “lawmakers”. 

Today we can celebrate, as Charlotteans, the first shots in what will be a legal revolution against the tyranny of the legislature; a tyranny which has been relentless in its pursuit of wresting every last ounce of autonomy from any municipal governing body.  No longer should they expect to traipse about the halls of the Legislative building issuing draconian edicts aimed at denigrating our local institutions and communities without resistance.  No longer should they be allowed to haphazardly and summarily steamroll the very economic engines which have historically made our state a shining symbol of modernity.

To Senator Rucho and Representative Samuelson, in your antipathy for Charlotte, you have used subterfuge and various other deleterious tactics to punish our fair city, and then decried genuine complaints against those aforementioned tactics as frivolous and petulant.  Your tactics, meant to consolidate all power in Raleigh, are antonymous to the traditional conservative ideal of empowering local communities shape their own identities.  While the authority may still be upheld in court, it is my sincerest hope that the impending lawsuit will, at a minimum, be taken as a warning against needlessly meddling in local affairs.  The city was a fine owner of the airport long before either of you ever cast a vote in the legislature.  It is offensive to think that you somehow now fancy yourselves experts of the aviation industry and hub economics despite your lack of having previously dealt with either.

Edited by cltbwimob

^ understand that any ruling that would force the State to belly up for whatever amount can immediately be offset by the Legislature in an accounting procedure.  So if the State has to pay the City of Charlotte a Billion or 5 Billion, you can rest assured that the State will find a way to sap away the same amount from any number of payables that the State of NC would normally fund.  It would be a shallow victory.  The dirty work remains in the trenches of voter turnout.  Enlist candidates who will inspire progressive independents, and the tide will change.   

If the airport authority bill wants Charlotte Douglas International Airport, they can have it for $5B, or keep your hands off.

What is next CATS and the Blue Line?

It would be quite amusing if the state had to pay the city fair market value for the airport, likely billions of dollars, as a result of the authority legislation without robbing from other parts of the budget.

I wonder if world famous budget director Art Pope (as he is so esteemed by his puppet of a boss) could find a couple of billion lying around to pay for the overzealous legislatures action.

Edited by cltbwimob

The Meck Deck Blog has a great opinion piece that covers things I think the TV and Print media in town have missed. It really takes a long term perspective on the whole ordeal and how the City has set itself up for this by just rubber stamping 99.9% of everything that Jerry Orr proposes.

http://charlotte.johnlocke.org/blog/?p=21223

• Like 1

That's an intriguing angle on that.  I know they typically would, but seemed like it was because most of didn't come to the city for approval until things seemed fairly well baked.   The airport has been managed frugally, but relatively competently.

from CBJ is disappointing, but not surprising news from the Federal level.  Foxx cannot participate in any Charlotte issues for one year as he signed an ethics pledge upon confirmation which included this statement:

“Upon confirmation, I will resign from my position as Mayor of the City of Charlotte, North Carolina. For a period of one year after my resignation, I will not participate personally and substantially in any particular matter involving specific parties in which the City of Charlotte is a party or represents a party, unless I am first authorized to participate, pursuant to 5 C.F.R. § 2635.502(d).

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/going_green/2013/07/dot-secretary-foxx-charlotte-airport.html?ana=RSS&s=article_search&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Edited by kermit

McCrory signed no such pledge and he was not the mayor of Charlotte for well more than 2 years before taking the office of Governor.

My point was just as McCrory sometimes claims he has no control over things the Legislature does (which I highly doubt), I doubt Foxx (despite signing a pledge) will have 0 influence. Just as Ajfunder alluded to.

Edited by AirNostrumMAD