Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

• 2 weeks later...

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/charlotte...28/daily51.html

The 3,000 space deck planned next to the one that was recently completed now has a contract to be built by 2007. As the plans are identical to the other deck, it is a perfect case study in the rise in construction costs. The cost for the new bridge is 25% higher than the other deck, even though the contract for it was awared only two years ago. That is incredible!

In other news, I have noticed that my last few trips out of Charlotte in the last 6 months (which have been company-paid trips), have been only a couple hundred bucks. That is even with only a week advance purchase. I think that is incredible compared to prices a few years ago. I'm not sure it that is true across the board, but for me, it has been a nice change from the jaw-dropping prices I often used to get.

In other news, I have noticed that my last few trips out of Charlotte in the last 6 months (which have been company-paid trips), have been only a couple hundred bucks. That is even with only a week advance purchase. I think that is incredible compared to prices a few years ago. I'm not sure it that is true across the board, but for me, it has been a nice change from the jaw-dropping prices I often used to get.

Indeed. I flew round trip to Detroit direct for $300 2 weeks ago. Not too bad in my book.

Not so quick :( I have been commuting to Louisville every week for the past 3 months, and the cheapest fare I received was $450...9 times out of 10, even with a 3 week advance purchase, the price was over $900.

I do agree that some prices are coming down, but as you can see, some things remain the same. Plus, trying to change a ticket with US Airways is a disgrace...sorry sir, that will be an extra $500 to take the 2:30pm Friday flight instead of the 5:00pm Friday flight...I hope THIS practice ot price gouging stops soon!

-k

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/liv...el/13350288.htm

It looks like US Airways is adopting fare setting rules that will lead to more reasonable prices.

Something used to be seriously wrong with their pricing. Even when there was a competitor, sometimes their fares would remain significantly higher than the competitor.

Also, sometimes United would offer a fare of 200 on a US Airways plane, by way of a codeshare, and US Airways would be charging $2000 for the same flight. I have booked through United a number of times because of this.

Prices really depend upon where you want to go. For example it's fairly cheap to fly to Baltimore as USAir competes with AirTran for that route. But price a flight to National. Ouch!

There is a $10 Billion impact there because that is what it costs to fly USAir out of Charlotte.

Yeah - the Charlotte to National route is grossly overpriced (but, then again, our respective businesses/clients that are paying most of the bills for those trips). It does suck when you want to come back to your real home in beautiful Charlotte, NC for a weekend and you either have to pay the excessive fair from National, fly National to Greensboro, or trek out to Dullas or Baltimore.

I'm just happy that our tax dollars have gone to help bail out the airlines so that they, in turn, can continue to hit us ridiculous ticket prices... aren't you?

BTW - has anyone flown Ireland-based RyanAir? I've used it in Europe a few times and it acutually lives up to the name, "low-cost carrier". Why the heck can't our airlines figure out how to ferry people around for RyanAir prices? Check out RyanAir's website here Ryan Air... and tell US Airways to take notes.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/liv...el/13442333.htm

Southwest is still being public about its desire to come here. It will be interesting to see whether they end up coming here in the next few years.

I'm not so sure whether it is more important for the business climate in Charlotte to have lower fares, or a stable hub with significant numbers of destinations. But as long as USAirways is able to survive, as they appear to be in a better condition to do, then the added fare competition will be good.

• 1 month later...

Sitework for the new 3,000 space parking garage at Charlotte/Douglas began last week. It will be a mirror image to the one that opened last spring. Construction is anticipated to take 14 months.

Beware of parking in the daily garage now that the surface spaces are gone for the new garage construction. I was there today at 2:00 and there was not an open space to be had. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to find a space, or better yet, take the bus, cab, or have a friend drop you off.

Atlrvr you've nailed it. I was talking to some of the airport personel last week after flying in from Detroit. They said that the second deck would be exactly like the first except for the lighting. The person I talked to said that the color of the second deck would be red.

The lighting schemes are supposed to invoke the feeling of the navigational lights on the runways, so red and blue are appropriate choices.

It would also have the practical benefit of helping users remember which deck they are parked in. I parked in the deck that is open last month, and the lighting really is cool.

Too bad it is such a long walk, which only mattered because it was so cold, and having just returned from Florida, I didn't have have a coat.

Hopefully, as they finish both the decks, they will create a line of travelators/moving sidewalks to get the decks quickly.

The decks sure make a bigger architectural statement than the airport terminal itself :).

Option 1:

- Find shuttle stop, wait 7 minutes in cold with dozens of people restoring their nicotine levels after a long flight, get dropped off at other end of parking deck, walk 3 minutes to car.

Option 2:

- Walk 5 minutes in cold to car, 2 months later complain on UP about lack of moving sidewalks.

:) I'll choose option 2 every time.

• 1 month later...

It is interesting to note, with all of the other discussion about the Nascar Hall of Fame, that for roughly the same amount of money (although mostly from federal funds), Charlotte is getting a 4th major airport runway at Douglas Airport. The impact this runway could have on this city during its lifetime could be incredible. That is especially true if it causes lower operating costs, delays, and higher capacity for USAirways to be more successful.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/13992396.htm

With all the land now almost acquired, we should be seeing major roadwork and construction activity. With all the projects going on here, and then knowing that it is happening through out the country and in many foreign countries, it is no wonder there is a steel and concrete shortage.

• 1 month later...

The preliminary traffic numbers are out for all airports across the world as reported by ACI (Airports Council International) who typically have the most comprehensive data.

Charlotte is now 13th businest airport in the word for aircraft movements! (total take-offs and landings of commercial and non-commercial planes) Charlotte also gained the greatest % in this category of all airports in the top 30.

Charlotte almost broke into the top 30 in the world for total passengers. We were somewhere in the 27M-28M range, with 30th place having about 29M passengers per year. Last year, Charlotte had less than 24M, so we are quickly moving up in this category as well.

The preliminary traffic numbers are out for all airports across the world as reported by ACI (Airports Council International) who typically have the most comprehensive data.

Charlotte is now 13th businest airport in the word for aircraft movements! (total take-offs and landings of commercial and non-commercial planes) Charlotte also gained the greatest % in this category of all airports in the top 30.

Charlotte almost broke into the top 30 in the world for total passengers. We were somewhere in the 27M-28M range, with 30th place having about 29M passengers per year. Last year, Charlotte had less than 24M, so we are quickly moving up in this category as well.

here is the link for those interested

http://www.airports.org/aci/aci/file/Press...lim_Results.pdf

Wow - thats a lot! Makes sense since everytime I go there it's always busy. So what do you think caused the increase?

Edited by nyxmike

So...can we please have a new terminal where gates aren't automatically bought by USAir and get Southwest in here....

Please?!!!

CLT has plenty of gates that are avail from the airport aviation authority. SW chooses not to fly here. Besides, I'd rather have non stops to London and Frankfurt than Birmingham and Baltimore.