Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Just to reiterate what others have said, I think the hub is here to stay for the long run.  Moreover, I think it will not only stay, but will flourish as a hub.

AA execs have of course said they are committed to CLT, but they have also put action behind those words.  They've added new jobs, new flights, are working on a new long-term lease with a he airport, and according to the leaked job announcement posted in late August, it sounds like they may be getting ready to build some corporate facilities.  Also, I believe it was last quarter, AA said that CLT is the best performing  hub outside of New York.

Charlotte provides AA with some distinct advantages as well.  It has the lowest cost of any airline hub, it is centrally located, and is one of two Southeast fortress hubs.  Additionally, the three parallel runway design makes it efficient.

Now it looks as if the fuel tax will be eliminated altogether which will further reduce costs.  The current arrangement merely caps taxes at 2.5 million per year, so the new law will reduce costs further.  But I think we can all agree, regardless of our general sentiments on corporate welfare , that AA has definitely given this city and state more than a couple of million in fuel tax receipts ever will.  In my opinion, eliminating the fuel tax may be one of the most responsible things the NCGA has ever done.  AA's hub in CLT is well worth it.

Edited by cltbwimob
  • Like 2

I wonder how the flight will perform and if it will take traffic away from AA's flight. I think RDU was the smallest city in the USA to have transatlantic flights, so the addition of another will be interesting to watch.

I don't really think this flight will compete with AA's, but I will say that AA is much stronger in CDG than US was, and has a recognizable brand in France, so that might be enough to resume year round service. When did year round service operated 2010-2013?

Delta is adding a daily non-stop flight from RDU to CDG starting in May.  Wonder if this announcement will make AA consider reinstating year-round service from CLT to compete?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-adds-nonstop-raleigh-durham-140000360.html

I am going to go out on a limb and say yes. I think with this announcement, AA will make CDG year round again; especially if RDU-CDG is year round, AA would want to compete. 

Though congratulations to RDU! 

This flight was ready for launch in June 2009 but was canceled due to the great recession:

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3906367/

Rather than CLT-CDG, this has greater ramifications for AA's RDU-LHR service which is currently served by a 767-300ER and sometimes a 777-200 in peak season. It was RDU's only TATL flight until this announcement and is the last remaining remnant of AA's failed RDU hub from the late 80's/90's.

I wonder if AA will play hardball and upgauge to 777-200 service year-round or consider deploying legacy US A330-200's on the RDU-LHR route so as to not lose connecting TATL customers to Delta.

Edited by ChessieCat

This Washington Post article about the final days of US Airways features CLT prominently.  And no 'NC' after Charlotte anywhere in the article!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/the-last-days-of-us-airways/2015/09/25/f5530686-60a6-11e5-8e9e-dce8a2a2a679_story.html

Bless their hearts. :shades:

That article nearly brought a tear in my eye. I am sure that many Charlotteans have had many memories with US, both good and bad. US was the last of the "local service carriers". I can't believe they are nearly gone.

On a different note, does anyone have any insight on how the transatlantic schedule will look like next summer?

Hmm...I like it! Somewhat sexy and very cosmopolitan compared to the rest of the terminal. It reminds be somewhat of T5 at LHR.

I wonder where Ely got the rendering from...

Edit: Silly me, information is available from the City Council meeting minutes. I guess I am confused as to where further expansion is supposed to take place.

Edited by LKN704

Here's the aerial. 

BWfObZL.png?1

Hmm...I like it! Somewhat sexy and very cosmopolitan compared to the rest of the terminal. It reminds be somewhat of T5 at LHR. I'm a bit confused about the rendering though, is that the initial expansion or the full expansion? I am assuming that the Concourse in the background are the existing A gates, no?

I wonder where Ely got the rendering from...

It came from here Item 56

http://charlottenc.legistar1.com/charlottenc/meetings/2015/9/947_A_City_Council_Business_Meeting_15-09-28_Meeting_Agenda.pdf

Edited by Crown
  • Like 1

Hmmmm....this is positioned East-West and not North-South....I wouldn't think there is much room to expand (originaly International was supposed to be ~25 gates I though) due to the proximity of runway 18/36C

That said, the grey/white sketch is relatively attractive.

I tweeted Ely, and he said there is still room for future expansion.  Based on this aerial map he provided in his response (I had forgotten how far the old rental car lot extended away from the terminal), I assume this means a second smaller 8-12 gate east/west-oriented concourse located north of this new 9-gate concourse.  In addition to changing needs (room for more domestic and fewer international flights - and a future expansion in a separate but connected building could be designed with FIS capabilities like PHL A-East and A-West), I assume this design change is related to aircraft maneuverability on the apron.  If my above prediction/analysis is accurate, this would mean a longer walk for passengers, but quicker taxi times for aircraft and fewer 'traffic jams' than would occur as aircraft push back from the gates on the back side of a single larger north/south-oriented concourse.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/4204+Rental+Car+Rd,+Charlotte,+NC+28214/@35.2239981,-80.9498481,877m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x8856987f2790d283:0x975090d782aeac4f!6m1!1e1

And hopefully CLT is planning to construct additional lounge space!  We need an Admirals Club on E, and it would be really nice to have an American Express Centurion Lounge occupy some of the shell office space being constructed (third floors of the A/B and future D/E connectors and in this new concourse).  Given their relatively large number of daily flights, I imagine Delta would consider opening a Sky Club if space became available on that side of the airport too.

Is it just American that is going to utilize this new concourse? I would have thought Delta was going to push to expand a little bit but it seems they are more interested in Raleigh 

No, it was originally conceived to be an international concourse for AA/US, but the most recent plan is to add gates for other carriers. (CLT is adding additional domestic gates for AA on E and eventually B.)  Delta wants additional gates and Southwest did at one time as well.  If the concourse is built with FIS capabilities, AA will most likely use it for some international flights, though.

No, it was originally conceived to be an international concourse for AA/US, but the most recent plan is to add gates for other carriers. (CLT is adding additional domestic gates for AA on E and eventually B.)  Delta wants additional gates and Southwest did at one time as well.  If the concourse is built with FIS capabilities, AA will most likely use it for some international flights, though.

This was my thinking as well, I really hope Charlotte can finally get carriers like Virgin America, Spirit, Alaskan, and Allegiant (switch to CLT from Concord, although I know this is very unlikely).

This was my thinking as well, I really hope Charlotte can finally get carriers like Virgin America, Spirit, Alaskan, and Allegiant (switch to CLT from Concord, although I know this is very unlikely).

Alaska (1x daily 737 to SEA) is the only one of those that is a possibility in the near term, IMO.  Virgin America hasn't been doing well and is focused on major US cities and warm-weather leisure markets, and Allegiant isn't leaving Concord, especially with the planned new terminal and parking deck.  Spirit would be a nice addition, and they have been successfully expanding at other carriers' hubs.  I still don't think it's very likely they start service to CLT, though.

Also, Frontier's flights to TTN (Trenton, NJ) have been zeroed out starting in January.  Not sure if this is a seasonal suspension or if this route is being cancelled.

I work in airport operations and management in Connecticut, but lived in Hickory for more than 15 years and have followed the growth of the CLT airport with great interest.

February 9 2015 – 2nd Monday Charlotte City Council Business Meeting is GREAT.

http://charlottenc.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=2&clip_id=2647

Also access it here:

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/govchannel/Pages/CityCouncil_Meeting_Archive_Videos.aspx

(Fast forward to 00:35)

There you find an update from Jack Christine and Brent Cagle on the airport’s plans. They speak at length about the future Master Plan and building work at CLT. 

It seems the A-North concourse will be for carriers other than American.

Southwest, Delta, United, etc have expressed interest in additional gates.

Edited by NDoran

Alaska (1x daily 737 to SEA) is the only one of those that is a possibility in the near term, IMO.  Virgin America hasn't been doing well and is focused on major US cities and warm-weather leisure markets, and Allegiant isn't leaving Concord, especially with the planned new terminal and parking deck.  Spirit would be a nice addition, and they have been successfully expanding at other carriers' hubs.  I still don't think it's very likely they start service to CLT, though.

Also, Frontier's flights to TTN (Trenton, NJ) have been zeroed out starting in January.  Not sure if this is a seasonal suspension or if this route is being cancelled.

Well I am definitely hoping for a miracle and Virgin starts flying here, just hopped on a Virgin flight for the first time to go to Vegas for work... It is amazing... I will gladly give up my status with American for Virgin