Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

Well I am definitely hoping for a miracle and Virgin starts flying here, just hopped on a Virgin flight for the first time to go to Vegas for work... It is amazing... I will gladly give up my status with American for Virgin

I just want my US Airways back.  I like oneworld much more than thought I would, but I will forever miss the good old days of unlimited complementary upgrades (with a 90%+ upgrade rate at US Gold), same-day confirmed flight changes, and friendly, helpful customer service agents.

• Like 3

Also, Frontier's flights to TTN (Trenton, NJ) have been zeroed out starting in January.  Not sure if this is a seasonal suspension or if this route is being cancelled.

They did, however, load new Denver flights starting in March next year. How did the Trenton flight do overall? 

Edited by USAir767
Grammar error
  • Like 1

Also, Frontier's flights to TTN (Trenton, NJ) have been zeroed out starting in January.  Not sure if this is a seasonal suspension or if this route is being cancelled.

In all honesty, once the airline started flying from CLT-PHL, the CLT-TTN flights made little sense, as they likely cannibalized each other.  Initially, the reason behind Frontier's buildup in Trenton was to provide an alternative to PHL.

Here's the BizJournal piece on Frontier adding the Charlotte-Denver route... If United is in fact bring back this route too, then that will be 3 different carriers offering non-stop service to Denver from CLT. It sure would be nice to get JetBlue or someone to bring back flights to Orlando and other leisure markets to bring down the outrageous prices we're seeing. I had to book a work trip down to Orlando for November and that flight was $700 on American!!! So, I ended up buying a flight to connect through Atlanta for about $250. Absolutely ridiculous to have to pay that kind of money on a nonstop flight to Orlando. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/09/30/frontier-airlines-adding-nonstop-flight-at-clt.html

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 2

Here's the BizJournal piece on Frontier adding the Charlotte-Denver route... If United is in fact bring back this route too, then that will be 3 different carriers offering non-stop service to Denver from CLT. It sure would be nice to get JetBlue or someone to bring back flights to Orlando and other leisure markets to bring down the outrageous prices we're seeing. I had to book a work trip down to Orlando for November and that flight was $700 on American!!! So, I ended up buying a flight to connect through Atlanta for about $250. Absolutely ridiculous to have to pay that kind of money on a nonstop flight to Orlando. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/09/30/frontier-airlines-adding-nonstop-flight-at-clt.html

This is the exact pain I deal with every time I book a flight to the Miami area... Absolutely ridiculous that you have to pay that much money to go down there. Recently I booked a nonstop round trip flight from LA to Miami for only $307, I did a comparison from Charlotte at about the same time and day, $710...

• Like 2

I agree.  While I don't plan on flying Frontier, it would be nice to for them to add service to their mentioned new focus markets of MCO and MIA.  I'm in Miami at least a handful of times each year, and I almost always drive to RDU to fly to fly down there.  Advance purchase prices from CLT are $400+ while I can routinely get a ticket a couple weeks out from RDU for just over $150 roundtrip.

• Like 1

I agree.  While I don't plan on flying Frontier, it would be nice to for them to add service to their mentioned new focus markets of MCO and MIA.  I'm in Miami at least a handful of times each year, and I almost always drive to RDU to fly to fly down there.  Advance purchase prices from CLT are $400+ while I can routinely get a ticket a couple weeks out from RDU for just over $150 roundtrip.

That same flight I was talking about above to Orlando was actually about $300 from RDU on Delta. Insane..

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 1

This is the exact pain I deal with every time I book a flight to the Miami area... Absolutely ridiculous that you have to pay that much money to go down there. Recently I booked a nonstop round trip flight from LA to Miami for only $307, I did a comparison from Charlotte at about the same time and day, $710...

ATL to MCO is the most popular route on Delta from Atlanta. The airport is basically a connection to Disney/Universal. 

The only chance of JetBlue adding is CLT-FLL. From talking to a few friends at JetBlue, its on there list but they have an aircraft shortage. The goal with JetBlue in FLL is to connect there stations around the US to build a feed for the LatinAmerica routes/ Carribean flights. Once more A321s come on line that should start to free up there A320s which can free up the 190s. JetBlue in CLT has had an amazing year so far in terms of Load factors..actually higher than company standards. I'm not sure how the yields are but CLT-JFK tickets have gone up significantly over the last few years..and there filling the plane up which is a good sign. I remember 3 years ago I could book a CLT-JFK flight for 140 round trip...lowest I can find is 200. 

Its exciting, JetBlues 10th anniversary in CLT is next year...hoping they fly there 10th anniversary special livery for one of those flights...Hard to belive it'll be a decade. I remeber flying them in 07 for the first time. 

• Like 1

My understanding is an upguage would occur during the summer season only. It would likely be for B6219/218. Were still ways away from the summer schedule. But yeah, other than FLL theres nothing else I see from JetBlue... Pipe dream would be a flight from CLT-SJU to eat into AA on that route. Thats wisful thinking on my part. 

FLL is the best bet and makes the most sense...people just have to use it. 

I was under the impression FL did okay on CLT-MCO, I remeber for a long time it was 2 daily.. then went to one and finally WN, then to nothing.

I hope F9s new CLT-DEN serivce does well. 

Couple of other items of note at the Airport:

- Replacement of the 20+ y/o moving sidewalks in the Atrium has been approved.

- Airport is planning to replace 60 + jet bridges on Concourses A,B,C, and D

- Rendering of the East Terminal expansion, construction expected to start in the next 6 months.

CQE8bimU8AAW85c.jpg

• Like 3

Couple of other items of note at the Airport:

- Replacement of the 20+ y/o moving sidewalks in the Atrium has been approved.

- Airport is planning to replace 60 + jet bridges on Concourses A,B,C, and D

Some of the best history is found at the Airport. We shouldn't rip it out and replace it - we should embrace it! I say we keep those moving sidewalks and jet bridges for the nostalgia! "Charlotte's got a lot of old airport stuff!"

• Like 1

Next question - the development map still shows an expansion to the end of concourse E, but that project is missing from CLT's projects page. Did that expansion get shelved? Or just not important enough to include? (Lord knows I'll be cussing when I have to catch a flight from there)

Some of the best history is found at the Airport. We shouldn't rip it out and replace it - we should embrace it! I say we keep those moving sidewalks and jet bridges for the nostalgia! "Charlotte's got a lot of old airport stuff!"

I rode the atrium moving sidewalk yesterday and it sounded and felt like there was a Jamaican drum circle under it that makes you want to dance while on the moving sidewalk.When the new smooth and silent moving sidewalk becomes operational it will certainly take away from the character...but on the bright side it reduces the chance of the thing catching on fire like the one in D earlier this year.

Edited by uptownliving
  • Like 1

Next question - the development map still shows an expansion to the end of concourse E, but that project is missing from CLT's projects page. Did that expansion get shelved? Or just not important enough to include? (Lord knows I'll be cussing when I have to catch a flight from there)

I think that must be an oversight on their part as they just hired and paid for LS3P to design a 10 gate expansion of Concourse E as well as adding escalators and elevators to the D/E connector.

• Like 1

I think that must be an oversight on their part as they just hired and paid for LS3P to design a 10 gate expansion of Concourse E as well as adding escalators and elevators to the D/E connector.

This is all about time.   E concourse has always felt like a beotch child.  meanwhile those gates move a huge volume of people all day.  My favorite is when the escalators are broken...unacceptable.

Also, anyone know why you cannot get from E to baggage claim without traversing most of the terminal to get to the D checkpoint?