Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

From what I have seen we will still have 4 belts. but 2 of them will be larger capacity "inclined plane" style baggage claim belts.

The international claim is already inclined, isn't it? Or do I need to be more watchful? 

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2015/11/03/new-domestic-routes-drop-in-international-traffic.html

We had slight increase in passengers in the first 9 months on this year, compared to last year. This is great news, considering available seats were down. However international was down due to less available international destinations. 

Edited by Piedmont767

Just read that; 3-4 years seems like along time to build a control tower. Anyone know why?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Becuase of the preparation of the site for the tower, construction time as its double the height, equipment and testing. 

FUN FACT- We will have the 2nd tallest control tower in the USA when it's built 

Is there something unique about preparation for an air traffic control tower? Just seems odd such a tower would take the same amount of time to build as 300 South Tryon...

Is it because of Federal Regulation and red tape?

Is there something unique about preparation for an air traffic control tower? Just seems odd such a tower would take the same amount of time to build as 300 South Tryon...

Is it because of Federal Regulation and red tape?

Speculation: 1) Funding comes in dribs and drabs 2) Homeland Security requires things of which we may not know that take a long time 3) EIR? 4) Gummint never does anything in a timely manner.

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

Speculation: 1) Funding comes in dribs and drabs 2) Homeland Security requires things of which we may not know that take a long time 3) Gummint never does a damn thing in a timely manner.

If public sector employees could just do their jobs, things would get done more efficiently and faster.  unfortunately it's politicians who get in the way.  Funding is handled the same way now because the politicians in control now in Raleigh think that the private sector should be building infrastructure because the profit motive is so great.   Things were running much more smoothly in NC until 3 years ago.

If public sector employees could just do their jobs, things would get done more efficiently and faster.  unfortunately it's politicians who get in the way.  Funding is handled the same way now because the politicians in control now in Raleigh think that the private sector should be building infrastructure because the profit motive is so great.   Things were running much more smoothly in NC until 3 years ago.

I don't necessarily disagree, although I will make reference to the 27 years it took to complete I-485. But much of this tower won't be in Raleigh's hands. This is a federal project. If the funding is planned per year all kinds of things can get in the way, like petulant government shutdowns.

Note: I removed my mild profanity. I didn't want to be perceived as unseemly...

Edited by Silicon Dogwoods
  • Like 1

NATCA-Tracon-0207a.jpgclttower-jpg.125

At the base of the current control tower is the TRACON or Terminal Radar Approach Control facility. That is the biggest part of any replacement facility and would surely require the most time to construct, set up and test before becoming operational. I got to tour the tower cab and the TRACON about four years ago. Photos were not allowed to be taken but I have attached some from other similar facilities. The primary responsibility of the TRACON is the safe, orderly, and expeditious flow of arrival, departure, and en-route traffic. CLT TRACON is responsible for all the airports located under its busy class bravo airspace

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ato/service_units/air_traffic_services/tracon/

• Like 2

On Tuesday, there will be a forum aimed at starting a conversation to bring more heavy air cargo flights to Charlotte. 

http://cscmpcharlotte.com/event/heavy-air-cargo-flights-to-charlotte/

Since we will likely never have a hub for a major integrated cargo carrier like UPS or FedEx, this may be our only shot at making a name for ourselves in the air cargo world.  There are two airports I think Charlotte should look to as a model for this type of effort-Columbus (Rickenbacker) and Huntsville.  They have really made names for themselves in the air cargo industry without the help of UPS and FedEx.  For instance, Rickenbacker has scheduled cargo flights operated by Emirates Skycargo (UAE), Cathay Pacific Cargo (Hong Kong), and Cargolux (Luxembourg).  Also, it sees regularly scheduled service from Kalitta Air.  I think their model in particular would be salient because much of their air cargo demand is driven by the clothing industry which is also still fairly large in the Carolinas.  Perhaps this is why many of the guest speakers are from clothing brands such as VF and Ralph Lauren that have major operations in the Carolinas.

I would really enjoy seeing some of the aforementioned airlines coming to CLT.  Having a larger air cargo arm at the airport will make the area around the airport more attractive to manufacturers and warehousing/distribution companies especially clothing distribution and pharmaceuticals.  Since the article makes mention of the fact that large volumes of air cargo come through New York on its way to the Carolinas, I would really like to see some carrier like Kalitta which has multiple hubs in the NY/NJ area to just move one of those hubs down to CLT.

On Tuesday, there will be a forum aimed at starting a conversation to bring more heavy air cargo flights to Charlotte. 

http://cscmpcharlotte.com/event/heavy-air-cargo-flights-to-charlotte/

Since we will likely never have a hub for a major integrated cargo carrier like UPS or FedEx, this may be our only shot at making a name for ourselves in the air cargo world.  There are two airports I think Charlotte should look to as a model for this type of effort-Columbus (Rickenbacker) and Huntsville.  They have really made names for themselves in the air cargo industry without the help of UPS and FedEx.  For instance, Rickenbacker has scheduled cargo flights operated by Emirates Skycargo (UAE), Cathay Pacific Cargo (Hong Kong), and Cargolux (Luxembourg).  Also, it sees regularly scheduled service from Kalitta Air.  I think their model in particular would be salient because much of their air cargo demand is driven by the clothing industry which is also still fairly large in the Carolinas.  Perhaps this is why many of the guest speakers are from clothing brands such as VF and Ralph Lauren that have major operations in the Carolinas.

I would really enjoy seeing some of the aforementioned airlines coming to CLT.  Having a larger air cargo arm at the airport will make the area around the airport more attractive to manufacturers and warehousing/distribution companies especially clothing distribution and pharmaceuticals.  Since the article makes mention of the fact that large volumes of air cargo come through New York on its way to the Carolinas, I would really like to see some carrier like Kalitta which has multiple hubs in the NY/NJ area to just move one of those hubs down to CLT.

The south cargo ramp appears to be undergoing a pretty significant expansion currently, perhaps something is already in the works.  Also the Roush 727s are for sale, so maybe that'll free up more space for UPS or whoever to come in.

That's a real missed opportunity. It looks as if they're planning to use the same design across the country as they did in the 1980's, except the design quality of the current tower is far better than what is going to be built now.

It's also unfortunate that they're going to demolish the old one, would have been nice to see that as a one of a kind observation tower., or even a replacement for the American Airlines Ops center over the Atrium.

That's a real missed opportunity. It looks as if they're planning to use the same design across the country as they did in the 1980's, except the design quality of the current tower is far better than what is going to be built now.

It's also unfortunate that they're going to demolish the old one, would have been nice to see that as a one of a kind observation tower., or even a replacement for the American Airlines Ops center over the Atrium.

It does appear that designs are sort of standardized, many older towers look like the Charlotte-one, the old Atlanta Tower looked like CLT's and now we are getting another standard design. I was hoping for something interesting with interesting materials, such as metal etc. 

It does appear that designs are sort of standardized, many older towers look like the Charlotte-one, the old Atlanta Tower looked like CLT's and now we are getting another standard design. I was hoping for something interesting with interesting materials, such as metal etc. 

Anyone been to Dayton?  Great tower there...