Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

True dat. Raleigh's O/D traffic actually increased once they lost hub status. I understand I'm not comparing apples to apples, but if Southwest and a lot of other carriers come in and prices fall, Charlotte will be a very attractive airport to fly out of.

Plus, due to the large amount of business traffic to and from Charlotte every day, we would have an unusually large amount of direct flights, which will drive more O/D traffic.

• 3 weeks later...

There have been several interesting airport articles the past two days.

First US Airways hints at San Antonio and Austin service in the future, using the new Embraer 190 jet. Hopefully sooner than later.

CLT is now the 10th largest airport as measured by takeoffs and landings.

Air Tran will be adding an Orlando nonstop and an extra flight on Saturdays. Competition is a good thing, helps keep fares in check and US Airways on their toes.

I love seeing additional service by other airlines it shows a healthy and growing air travel market in CLT.

Something else I found interesting was that local boardings over the 2006 Thanksgiving holiday were up 33% over last year. That is a huge increase. The airport was able to handle 150 more cars than it has spaces for.

The new 3,000 space parking deck is due to open in March, it can't come soon enough.

I thought those planes will not be used in Charlotte. Only Philly.

Initially that will be the case, but in Charlotte yesterday Scott Kirby said that they could use these planes on a route such as Charlotte to San Antonio/Austin.

They will be receiving 25 E190s this year.

Later this year USAirways is expected to announce the Charlotte-> San Antonio/Austin/ Oklahoma City service.

The new 3,000 space parking deck is due to open in March, it can't come soon enough.

I was at the airport this past weekend and noticed that they had lights on the new deck but that they were blue in color. I thought the lights on the new deck were supposed to be red? Or maybe I was in a hurry and was unintentionally paying attention to the older deck. :unsure:

On other news: US adds 3 new Euro Destinations From Phili.

Flight

Number Origin Departure Destination Arrival Aircraft

758 Philadelphia 4:00 p.m. Athens 8:55 a.m. Boeing 767

(next day)

759 Athens 11:25 a.m. Philadelphia 3:35 p.m. Boeing 767

750 Philadelphia 8:30 p.m. Brussels 10:20 a.m. Boeing 757

(next day)

751 Brussels 12:40 p.m. Philadelphia 3:25 p.m. Boeing 757

710 Philadelphia 6:10 p.m. Zurich 8:05 a.m. Boeing 767

(next day)

711 Zurich 10:25 a.m. Philadelphia 1:35 p.m. Boeing 767

~I'm guessing the 757 will have winglets~

On other note USairways purchase orders:

13 A-319 { 120 passengers}

9 A-320 {142 Passengers}

15 A-321 {169 passengers }

10 A-330-200 {253 passengers}

20 A-350-800 {277 passengers} {about 15 more seat than 787 }

57 ERJ- 190's {99 passengers}

Hopefully With all our new widebodies Charlotte could get a few more international flights.

I find the timing of this announcement curious.

And how long will this last?: "And we're delighted to place the US Airways name in the beautiful, state-of-the-art Bank of America Stadium."

Probably because we're still trying to kiss BofA's arse due to the affinity credit card fiasco. The bank has a contract saying they're the only one allowed to offer a US Airways bank card, yet the airline went out and signed an agreement with Barclay's for one. BofA is suing (and rightly so).

I have to jump on the poor maintenance wagon again. The FIDS (flight information display system) monitors are in terrible shape. Four out fo eight monitors on B Concourse have been black for over a month now. And the fact they're still using CRT's is sad. While every major airport in the world has plasma screens, we have technology that isn't being manufactured anymore. The FIDS that hang over the C Concourse security check point no longer work and the large black enclosure that they are housed in has lost its formica covering. Now all you see is plywood. It's been that way for three months. The FIDS in the main terminal are enclosed in a box I could have built in my garage in the 1970s. They sit in a black shag carpet box against the front windows in the center of the ticket lobby. Open word to Jerry Orr: DO SOMETHING!!!

And the fact they're still using CRT's is sad. Open word to Jerry Orr: DO SOMETHING!!!

Those old CRT monitiors are probably one reason why CLT has one of the lowest costs per passengers to operate! Not that I am defending them!

Have they begun installing new carpet on the concourse and tile in the restrooms yet?

Those old CRT monitiors are probably one reason why CLT has one of the lowest costs per passengers to operate! Not that I am defending them!

Have they begun installing new carpet on the concourse and tile in the restrooms yet?

Won't stay low cost with pis*ed off customers. You can't find what gate your flight is leaving from if the monitors don't work. No carpet replacement as yet. No restroom rehabs either.

Probably because we're still trying to kiss BofA's arse due to the affinity credit card fiasco. The bank has a contract saying they're the only one allowed to offer a US Airways bank card, yet the airline went out and signed an agreement with Barclay's for one. BofA is suing (and rightly so)..

Jupiter Bank also has a USAirways bankcard.

It is terrible that the airport can't be maintained to at least minimal standards. Plywood boxes and dead CRT monitors are not acceptable to a top [X] airport. The city owns that place, and should require that the place be attractive to at least minimal standards. The city looks really bad if our airport is in bad shape. I'm not asking for over the top here, as the airport and city both benefit from low costs, but maintenance is a no brainer and can be afforded with competent managers.

I took some pictures yesterday on the way to work. Here is the C Concourse security check point FIDS monitors. Notice two screens are black. They've been that way for months.

359076201_22cad85e8a.jpg

Here's the view you get arriving (going down the escalator to baggage claim. It's bad enough that the formica covering is missing, but look at the dirt. There is no excuse for that.

359076121_756168239c.jpg