Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

34 minutes ago, xapostrophe said:

Take it how you will, I interviewed with DAL about a year ago and asked about the CSeries and where they might go.  They indicated at that time that they would be mostly on the west coast, maybe Seattle or SLC?   Thought that was odd, but who knows.  (this came from the head of fleet planning who I met while I was there)

Just about every Delta non-megahub airport including SEA, SLC, CVG, BOS, and RDU has been bandied about as home for the CSeries.  The Boeing lawsuit against Bombardier means that the former really does take the threat seriously, especially if a CS500 is eventually developed.

Edited by ChessieCat
  • Like 1

For those who don't follow the aviation industry, Alaska Airlines (AS) and AA just announced a pretty-big "break-up" per say. This follows the AS/DL partnership that ended earlier this year.

In addition to codesharing on less flights (because of regulatory requirements as a result of the AS/Virgin merger), starting 1 January AS/AA will no longer offer Elite reciprocity benefits, and you will only be able to earn AA miles on Alaska when flying on an AA codeshare, and vice-versa for Alaska miles. This is pretty major news, considering that Alaska and American were expected to get closer after Alaska severed ties with DL. People who I spoke to on the matter said this was not AA's doing, but rather Alaska's (with the Virgin merger, they don't really "need" AA as much, and with the expanded transcon network, AA is now a bigger competitor for AS), and the announcement took AA by surprise.

Anywho, seeing how there really isn't a codeshare factor into consideration, and AA is now seen as a competitor, rather than a "friend", I'm willing to bet this will push Alaska into CLT sooner than later.

10 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Anywho, seeing how there really isn't a codeshare factor into consideration, and AA is now seen as a competitor, rather than a "friend", I'm willing to bet this will push Alaska into CLT sooner than later.

American drops their Seattle service to once daily on Saturday and 2-3 flights during the work week in the fall too, providing a good time for Alaska to come in and build some share in the market vs. trying to do it during the 4 AA nonstops in the summer. Would be awesome to see them try to put a dent in AA's stronghold of 6 flights to SFO as well with Virgin America service, even if just a red eye. 

Edited by CLT2014

1 hour ago, Scoopbth said:

I saw one of these in Philly airport. I had arrived at the airport super early to try and catch an earlier flight home but it didn't work out.

Best part about them is there is a massive discount if you have the Priority Pass card ( comes with Chase Sapphire CC among others).

I was looking at the Monthly Activity Reports for CLT which go through May 2017 and the International Passenger Numbers took a big jump this year. They are up 25% over 2016....even in January the passenger numbers were up 33% over 2016. I know there really aren't that many new destinations compared with 2016 so I guess this is a result of larger planes being flown, and more flights being flown. Anywho it just caught me by surprise.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

First hour is free in the big hourly lot right across from the entrance.  Or the good ol' go upstairs and get picked up at departure trick :)

I've only gotten picked up in Departures, never understood why I see so few do the same.

22 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I've only gotten picked up in Departures, never understood why I see so few do the same.

People are like sheep. The free hour in the hourly deck is awesome as well and you avoid the chaos of the cell phone lot and arrivals deck until the new roadway is complete. You can even meet your visitors at the bottom of the escalators and help them with their bags. It is very rare to have a feature like that at a major airport. 

5 minutes ago, kickazzz2000 said:

That doesn't always work.  Getting out of the cell lot gets so backed up only to be rewarded with getting backed up before the split.  Departures MIGHT save you 5 minutes in that situation.  

Park in the hourly deck. When you exit, you exit on the other side of the terminal near Concourse E and miss the chaos. Here is a youtube on how to enter. You don't need to validate the ticket, just insert it in the exit gate within an hour for free parking walking distance to the terminal:

"Visitors picking up passengers at Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) are encouraged to utilize the Hourly Parking Deck. Hourly parking is free for the first hour and spaces are available on levels 4-7. The Hourly Parking Deck is also the most convenient parking option if you prefer to meet your passenger in the terminal. Walkways from the Level 2 elevator lobbies provide access to and from the terminal.   Use the real-time interactive parking map of the Hourly Parking Deck and other CLT parking facilities.

Another option is the free Cell Phone Lot. Simply wait in your vehicle and ask your passenger to call or text you when they claim their luggage, then drive to the terminal's lower level (Arrivals/Baggage Claim) to pick up your passenger."
Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

This may be changing the subject, but I flew in from Rome on Thursday. After lining up for customs, I was diverted to a new system (machine)  for placing my passport inside for scammomg and to receive a printed  photo  to present to the customs guy. It took 2 hours to get processed. I was stold that this new security system was being tried in five American cities. What blew my mind was that a huge percentage of the people processing through customs were foreign nationals and weren't required to do this. Has anyone experienced this awful newly added processing step. I don't understand the purpose. 

8 minutes ago, caterpillar2 said:

This may be changing the subject, but I flew in from Rome on Thursday. After lining up for customs, I was diverted to a new system (machine)  for placing my passport inside for scammomg and to receive a printed  photo  to present to the customs guy. It took 2 hours to get processed. I was stold that this new security system was being tried in five American cities. What blew my mind was that a huge percentage of the people processing through customs were foreign nationals and weren't required to do this. Has anyone experienced this awful newly added processing step. I don't understand the purpose. 

When I came back from Hong Kong last time I had to do this in DFW but it didnt cause any big delays but I do remember I had some trouble getting it to scan. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

When I came back from Hong Kong last time I had to do this in DFW but it didnt cause any big delays but I do remember I had some trouble getting it to scan. 

Atlanta has it. It was the fastest customs I've been through besides São Paulo. Which was pretty much flash a passport and that's it 

i was headed to 85 today from woodlawn and right about at the entrance to the billy graham library i believe i saw the new airport control tower above the tree line. It had a crane which caught my eye.   Ill try and get a picture Thursday next time Im out that way unless somebody else has in the meantime

Question:   Is this the control tower or is it one of the office parks?  If it is, any idea how much taller it will when complete?

7 minutes ago, QClifer said:

i was headed to 85 today from woodlawn and right about at the entrance to the billy graham library i believe i saw the new airport control tower above the tree line. It had a crane which caught my eye.   Ill try and get a picture Thursday next time Im out that way unless somebody else has in the meantime

Question:   Is this the control tower or is it one of the office parks?  If it is, any idea how much taller it will when complete?

I took one on July 7 look back to page 228 of this thread and it is probably taller now. It is by the old terminal aka Cargo terminal off West Blvd. 

• Like 1