Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2017/08/31/terminal-upgrades-at-charlotte-douglas-to-begin-in.html

The terminal at Concourse B will receive new ceiling tiles, wall panels and paint as well as a revamped seating area with new carpet and integrated power and USB ports. Once completed, it also will feature terrazzo flooring in the center walkway for easier transport of rolling luggage and other electrical and mechanical upgrades.

I will NOT miss that nasty carpet... very happy to see this start.

Edited by Scribe
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tozmervo said:

The Delta Skyclub at JFK has a big outdoor roof terrace. I don't think I've ever seen an outdoor amenity like that at an airport. 

Delta has a Sky Terrace at Atlanta as well. LAX has some nice outdoor lounges, especially the Star Alliance Lounge. 
http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/2017/05/06/lounge-terrace-lax/

Punta Cana is installing an infiniti pool at their airport!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-4844520/Punta-Cana-Airport-Dominican-Republic-unveils-new-pool.html

• Like 1

Latest photos of the Terminal A expansion at CLT. The windows are going to be beautiful and this will def be the best terminal at the airport.

On the walkway between the current Terminal A and the Expansion, there is a large space off the walkway. I see it is in the under-construction photos as well. Is this space for a restaurant and shops or might it be a Delta Sky Club? Anybody know what will be in that space?

Image result for club clt terminal a expansion

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

IIRC, there is space for an airline club on the mezzanine level about be gates. A DL sky club would be the most likely tenant. 

As to DL believes that CLT has the premium traffic to warrant a Skyclub, that’s another story. 

Do you know what the space in the walkway is for? Shops/dining?

CLT ranked 6th in J.D. Power's Airport Satisfaction survey among the 18 "Mega Airports" in the USA. CLT ranked just behind Denver and tied with Minneapolis-St. Paul. 

The top three were:
Orlando
Detroit
Las Vegas (tie)
Phoenix (tie)

The bottom three were:
Newark
LAX
Chicago O'Hare

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/jd-power-2017-north-america-airport-satisfaction-study

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

The new terminal check in area looks incredible in that video!

Interesting article titled "American Airlines is totally in love with its Charlotte hub" about American Airlines and their relationship with CLT management. CLT is one of two airports among the top 30 in the country that does not charge the maximum allowed $4.50 passenger facility charge on top of the ticket price. Instead the airport charges the minimum $3 required by law. This means CLT does not receive as much money for facility improvements as other airports per ticket and has to work closer with the airline tenants (largely AA) to fund facility improvements.  This has also helped keep CLT in favor with AA management - who hates the extra charge because it raises ticket prices. They would prefer to work with the airport to fund improvements directly. 

CLT director Cagle said: "We add facilities when they're needed by the airlines," he said. "We've never had anything but 100% agreement by the airlines. It's not an 'if you build it they will come' model."

The improvements we are seeing under construction now are due to American Airlines finally realizing they need to pump some money into the terminals and make it a more efficient hub, reflect in the Master Lease that allows these improvements to happen.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/14312248/2/american-airlines-is-totally-in-love-with-its-charlotte-hub-here-s-why.html

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

^^^Add to that AA SVP for Revenue Management stated that Charlotte is the airline's most profitable hub.  Usually they say things like best performing which can mean any number of things; this is the first time I can recall an exec referring to Charlotte as the most profitable hub since the AA/US merger.  

Revenue-Cost is the most important metric for evaluating performance of an airline hub and its good to hear that we are on top.

• Like 1

This feels like a game changer.  Take one of the world's most efficient airports and make it beautiful and easy to use.  

It's easy to criticize Charlotte's business, political and institutional leaders but there are a ton of great things happening in this region TODAY and someone deserves the credit.  When I compare the city I arrived in back in 2004 to what it will be in 10 years, it's astounding.

Well done Mr. Cagle!  

It looks like if you combined the main terminal areas of HKG, PDX, and ATL (international) together. 

I just hope that this plan actually makes it to the final drawing board. I’ve seen the plans and drawings of what Concourse D was supposed to look like and it doesn’t really look like what the drawings illustrated. 

I wouldn’t really be worried about the heat/humidity with the new terminal. The vast majority of international airports today have big, great check in halls with glass and floor to ceiling windows and I’ve never heard humidity be a problem. I’ve flown out of HKG dozens of times, even in the midst of Summer, and the heat was never unbearable. 

One thing I find interesting is that they are keeping the current “old style” of check in counters rather than using check in rows/aisles/islands that most international airports now use. I guess there wasn’t enough room or the cost was prohibitive? I’ve seen the plans of the OAL terminal (where Concourse A Annex is) and they employ the check in island system. 

Another thing that I find interesting is that there seems to only be two security checkpoints? This is the first I’ve heard of that being in the works. 

I know Orr might not be a popular name, but without him running the airport like well oiled and very efficient machine and setting the expansion plans in motion, none of this pretty shiny stuff would be possible.

I do love the new design. As for greenhouse effect, if you look at the video there is a clear opening over the lobby building from the glass canopy. Running the whole length of the canopy. (hot air rises ;) )

• Like 2

Airport update presentation to the city council from last night's meeting:

https://charlottenc.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=5445195&GUID=9EC7254B-B203-4597-AD5D-87CBAE01201B

Worth a quick scan.  It does not go into any detail about the terminal lobby expansion, but it does have a nice rendering of the canopy.