Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

13 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Sadly, what I thought was going to be a higher ceiling in B is exactly the same height it was before.  The new lighting is OK, but the celotex is as plain jane as you can get. Disappointed.

This is extraordinarily disappointing to me.  I was really counting on higher ceilings making a difference.

26 minutes ago, xapostrophe said:

Bids for design?   Isn't already designed? Wouldn't it look like the other pier?  And have the same underlying construction?  Copy, paste. Save millions.

I'm not really in the loop, but the last time I looked at the master plan, it seemed like A-North-North could end up as the terminal for the airlines operating there (Delta, United, etc) with ticketing, security, baggage, etc at that location, rather than the main terminal.  I don't think I like the idea, but I might come around.  I have not thought about it very long.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JBS said:

This is extraordinarily disappointing to me.  I was really counting on higher ceilings making a difference.

Honestly if it's brighter and updated that's good enough.  Because it's pretty awful what we have now.  I think the changes in flooring alone will make an epic difference.  Right now dragging a suitcase in the carpet is like pulling it though wet concrete.

I am however worries about passengers connecting from the future e50 to a15... That's at least a fifteen minute walk at a good pace.  Yikes.  Some kind of mass transit system needs to be discussed.

Image result for DFW REFURBISHED TERMINALT

This is Terminal B at DFW after their refurbishment. I believe the ceiling heights are relatively similar, with DFW's probably being a little taller. IIRC, DFW spent a pretty penny on the refurbishment though-CLT isn't spending as nearly as much. I'm willing to bet that CLT's refurbishment will look very similar, with the exception of the large floor to ceiling windows. (I've noticed that JFK T8 and DFW have the same carpet-is the same terminal carpet a coincidence or an AA thing). 

The technology going into the new A terminal is crazy, I actually was wondering the other day how they would keep it from getting too hot inside during the summer with all that glass. According to the CBJ slideshow above, each glass panel will be able to be dimmed to filter sunlight coming through.

• Like 3

My mistake-I mixed up Terminal A and Terminal B.  But still same idea. I just wish we had floor to ceiling windows. But in our defense at least we don’t have those ugly ceiling columns near the walls. 

It’s really amazing what terrazzo flooring combined with LED lighting does to modernize a public space.152D466F-8DEB-4349-89E3-40D2E466EEB1.png.802cdaf0ceca48e760685a681e080174.png

On 1/29/2018 at 8:02 PM, LKN704 said:

Awesome!!! So glad this is finally moving along.

I'll have to post the PDF of the plans here (I'll look for them now), but yes Concourse A North will eventually become its own terminal (the OAL Terminal, as the city calls it) complete with a full ticketing lobby, baggage claim, and new terminal roadway. IIRC, the plan is to have "island-style" check in rows as seen in most new major airports today. 

Edit: Here are the selected alternatives for the OAL Terminal Landside area:

image.png.b42433d98214383cf22ef86c926fb63b.png

image.png.ad8cfbe83b16f38a021531db3165a55e.png

That will a major benefit and user simplification to the airport.   It also it interesting then that the main terminal expansion will effectively be AA only.  

I'm sure it was posted at some point, but this was new to me and not on the more obvious sources on the airport website, but here is a video of the renderings of the main terminal expansion that starts construction this summer. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqhGZfjO0Nc

10 hours ago, LKN704 said:

My mistake-I mixed up Terminal A and Terminal B.  But still same idea. I just wish we had floor to ceiling windows. But in our defense at least we don’t have those ugly ceiling columns near the walls. 

It’s really amazing what terrazzo flooring combined with LED lighting does to modernize a public space.152D466F-8DEB-4349-89E3-40D2E466EEB1.png.802cdaf0ceca48e760685a681e080174.png

Big difference between the two: gate hold lounges are larger and there are gates only on one side of each terminal. In Charlotte, the hold areas are tiny and the concourses handle gates on both sides. This leads to boarding passengers queuing in the concourses which blocks passengers who are making their ways to other gates. It's maddening out there during a push. One slow baby stroller can block hundreds of people.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nakers2 said:

The technology going into the new A terminal is crazy, I actually was wondering the other day how they would keep it from getting too hot inside during the summer with all that glass. According to the CBJ slideshow above, each glass panel will be able to be dimmed to filter sunlight coming through.

I believe they're using electrochromic glass by a brand called SageGlass. It's cool stuff. Expensive, but cool. https://www.sageglass.com/en/videos

6 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

I believe they're using electrochromic glass by a brand called SageGlass. It's cool stuff. Expensive, but cool. https://www.sageglass.com/en/videos

Mind boggling they spend so much for A but largely ignore the structural issues and the size of C and B, and even OG A. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Mind boggling they spend so much for A but largely ignore the structural issues and the size of C and B, and even OG A

They are not ignoring B or C. Those are scheduled for expansion and upgrades -next- (expansions are scheduled to start 2022 for B and 2021 for C). There is info on this on the Airport website, it's been linked up-thread somewhere as well.

Link: http://www.cltairport.com/News/Pages/DestinationCLTProjects.aspx

Edited by Scribe
link

1 minute ago, Scribe said:

They are not ignoring B or C. Those are scheduled for expansion and upgrades next. There is info on this on the Airport website, it's been linked up-thread somewhere as well.

An extension of terminal B and C does not address the narrowness of the terminal or the short ceilings. Big undersight. That place is going to get even more cramped with more people walking down a longer building. Serious bottlenecks today and no sign of that improving by adding gates. 

Concourse B Expansion 

Description: This project will provide for design and construction of an additional 8-10 gates on Concourse B.

Duration: 20 months
Milestones: Design - 2022-2023
Construction start - Spring 2024
Completion - Spring 2026
Cost: $463,000,000
Funding Source: Future Airport Financing 
Expanding_Concourse_B%20.jpg

• Like 2

^^ scroll up a bit... they are renovating the old terminals, but they are definitely not razing the old terminals and building new ones.

Terminal Renovations

Description:
CLT’s terminal building was built in 1982. This project will bring new life to the 33-year-old building. Improvements will include new gate seating with integrated power and USB, new flooring, wall finishes, new ceilings, a new public address system and improved LED lighting. 

Work will begin first in Concourse B and move to Concourses A, C and D and the Atrium.
Duration: 36 months
Milestones: Construction start - September 2017
Completion - 2020
Cost: $70,000,000

3 minutes ago, Scribe said:

^^ scroll up a bit... they are renovating the old terminals, but they are definitely not razing the old terminals and building new ones.

I understand that. I am saying if they are going to spend to  put high tech window tinting on new A they should at least WIDEN B and C. The inadequacies of those terminals are magnified with the new A. New floors, signs and paint are putting lipstick on a pig. 

• Like 1

If the boarding lounges were larger, the width of the corridors in A, B, and C wouldn't be that much of an issue. I think I read on here that the city and AA had come to an agreement to enlarge gate hold areas on B. What I don't get is why they're spending money on B now if they're simply going to tear it up again in two years. 

One more item of interest: now that AA will be using five gates on A, and the new A North will empty into the narrow tunnel that connects the terminal to existing A, how clogged is it going to become? Talk about narrow. Even with the existing moving sidewalks (which the American public cannot seem to master), that's going to be A LOT of people being funneled into a small space.

Edited by Miesian Corners
grammar
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

If the boarding lounges were larger, the width of the corridors in A, B, and C wouldn't be that much of an issue. I think I read on here that the city and AA had come to an agreement to enlarge gate hold areas on B. What I don't get is why they're spending money on B now if they're simply going to tear it up again in two years. 

One more item of interest: now that AA will be using five gates on A, and the new A North will empty into the narrow tunnel that connects the terminal to existing A, how clogged is it going to become? Talk about narrow. Even with the existing moving sidewalks (which the American public cannot seem to master), that's going to be A LOT of people being funneled into a small space.

Completely agree. Its unbelievable that that isnt THE NEXT project. 

it will never be perfect or what we want,  sounds like its more important to AA to have more gates and make more money, passengers will survive with narrow terminals that are updated and clean,  I imagine it would be impossible to tear the roof off a entire terminal to raise it 15ft without having to abandon the terminal for 1-2 years. The gates are needed to bad so we will have to make do with whats there.     Id rather have more flights direct from charlotte than have some fancy new wide terminal. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, QClifer said:

it will never be perfect or what we want,  sounds like its more important to AA to have more gates and make more money, passengers will survive with narrow terminals that are updated and clean,  I imagine it would be impossible to tear the roof off a entire terminal to raise it 15ft without having to abandon the terminal for 1-2 years. The gates are needed to bad so we will have to make do with whats there.     Id rather have more flights direct from charlotte than have some fancy new wide terminal. 

Boston did it at Terminal B. They built a soaring new roof over the existing terminal and then tore the old building apart from the inside, all while keeping all gates open. BWI added skylights to give the illusion the ceilings were higher. 

• Like 2