Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

There are plans to widen the seating areas. They have to add more gates so they can close some of the old gate down to widen the seating area.  If you look at B & C from above some sections of the gates have been widen in the past. The gates are at over capacity, so they cannot shut any down and do the work like they did in the past.

17 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

Actually, that's how the terminal was built. The larger areas you see on the ends of the concourses are wider because they have gates all the way around. C Con was expanded the end a year after the terminal opened (1984).  B Con got an addition of gates 9-16 in 1988.

Here's a shot of the entire terminal on opening day in 1982:

image.png.cc32e7e099be9e49d73e192248c24ca5.png

It's hard to believe the airport used to look like this. LOL

• Like 3

On 2/3/2018 at 5:42 PM, stiluvclt said:

C'mon, members talk about new crane sections and pieces of facade...can't someone get a perspective of the part of the elevated roadway (longways) where construction is presently taking place? Just curious.

I'll be around in 10 days, if its not done by then I'll do it.

Norwegian is flying Austin, Texas route to London.  Surprised they havent started RDU, or CLT service.

5 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Aer Lingus is set to announce several new East Coast destinations in the coming weeks-let’s hope CLT will one. 

Fingers crossed!  Guessing PVD, PIT get Aer Lingus.

Edited by Phillydog

Other than smaller cities located within driving distance of larger metro areas, in addition to being within the 737 MAX's range from Europe, Norwegian will likely stick to larger metro areas that have a somewhat decent tourist market that can support a dense 787 on O&D traffic alone-CLT and RDU do not have that-at least right now. Norwegian announcing AUS is an interesting one, although tourism is larger there than it is here. Plus its chock full of millennials looking to fly to Europe on the cheap. 

Realistically speaking, the only other East coast destinations I can see them taking a go at are ATL, TPA, and maybe a resumption of Baltimore. I honestly can't see them trying Raleigh. I could see a case for Dallas, but they aren't on the East coast. 

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:41 AM, rancenc said:

Build faster plz.  Concourse B looks like the hellmouth every time I come down the ramp from the atrium.  And, once you get past Bojangles, there are days where you're literally standing shoulder to shoulder with people.  It's great from an optics perspective IMO, in that you walk through similarly-sized cities' airport's and you wonder where the hell everyone is by way of comparison, but I dread the B&D concourses when I'm headed home/connecting.

The Forbes article is really great news, in that I seem to remember people being worried the merger might lead Charlotte down the path of Pittsburgh from years ago; given its profitability and location, it seems like American will up aircraft movements as fast as CLT can build capacity. 

Hopefully future expansion will continue to address the ingress/egress issues.

• Like 2

Not CLT news but Allegiant at Concord is adding a flight to Destin Ft Walton Beach.  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2018/02/14/allegiant-air-adds-summer-flight-to-florida.html?ana=e_ae_set1&s=article_du&ed=2018-02-14&u=oAaDx%2B74FoP4qOJ%2By4AU6dhJPpc&t=1518640942&j=80006411   120,000 passengers in 2017 which of course is a drop in the bucket compared to CLT but it is serving a market for sure.  I know people who swear by them I have never flown them. 

• Like 1

Does anyone know when traffic numbers will be released for 2017? 

I was killing some time by attempting to work out roughly how many passengers flew through CLT and I came to the figure of 45,754,683.

This is based of 2016's passenger number (44,422,022^) and the percentage change for 2017 up to October (3%*):

44,422,022 X 1.03 = 45,754,682.66

^http://www.cltairport.com/AboutCLT/Documents/Activity Reports/2016 Activity Reports/December2016ActivityReport.pdf

*http://www.cltairport.com/AboutCLT/Documents/Activity Reports/2017 Activity Reports/October2017ActivityReport.pdf 

That would be a much better increase over 2016's decline. But hopefully holiday traffic may push closer to or over 46 million+ passengers!

Edited by CLT704
Math was slightly off

Rendering of NoDa Brewing's new restaurant and bar in the Concourse A expansion that will offer breakfast, lunch and dinner service along with 12 taps and single cans and 4-packs to go. Concourse A North will be home to United, Southwest, Frontier, ViaAir, Air Canada, and JetBlue.

No automatic alt text available.

Also coming to CLT:

- Olde Meck is opening a kiosk in Concourse E
- Chalice Bar (Stella inspired) is opening in Concourse C
- Jersey Mike's coming to the Atrium

• Like 4