Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

29 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

It’s the perfect welcome to Charlotte. Amateur hour in everything we do! :D

Considering they just de-boarded from an American Airlines jet with no IFE, 30 inch pitch, a bathroom with a sink 3 inches wide and 1 inch deep, and then had their thigh touch the side of the soaking walls of the 24.5 inch wide lavatory walls of the AA 737 Max covered in pee, and returned to a seat with no bulk head between first class and economy... nothing should really phase them.

You could throw people outside in the middle of winter and make them wait an hour and they'd be happy to outside of the future fleet of Concourse B and C tenant American. 

Image result for 737 max bathroom

Edited by CLT2014

14 hours ago, Cadi40 said:

Great news indeed! One thing I dislike is that our airport is a hub and not many people are actually traveling to Charlotte, But I suppose that's the same way about ATL.

First thing I want to say to you Cadi40 is please do not believe everything you read on the internet, I appreciate your post on here but many of your statements seem to be based off of things you may have read from other peoples post, and/or outdated and unreliable sources that are not 100% factual.  Luckily on here, we strive to give as accurate information as possible and we will kindly answer any questions or correct any statements that may not be completely accurate. 

To your first dislike, yes, being a hub has it ups and downs.  I hear the argument that being a hub can make ticket prices more expensive and there's some truth to that but I will say that when I fly (which is often), ticket prices out of CLT tend to be on par, if not cheaper than PTI or RDU most of the time.  Plus with CLT, I can get to almost anywhere in the lower 48 without connecting at another airport. 

As for your second dislike, I also hear this a lot, mainly from CLT haters saying that the city has low O&D numbers (meaning people starting or ending their trip in Charlotte).  Yes, we do have way more connecting passengers than O&D, however, our O&D numbers are on par, if not greater than many of our pier cities.   For O&D number, Dec Lee, American's vice president for Charlotte hub operations, stated in a Forbes article just a few weeks ago that 78% of CLT passengers connect.  If you take that percentage and the number of passengers out of CLT last year (45,909,899), you get 10,1000 O&D passengers for the airport last year, that's more than the total number of passengers for many airports in cities Charlotte's size. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

First thing I want to say to you Cadi40 is please do not believe everything you read on the internet, I appreciate your post on here but many of your statements seem to be based off of things you may have read from other peoples post, and/or outdated and unreliable sources that are not 100% factual.  Luckily on here, we strive to give as accurate information as possible and we will kindly answer any questions or correct any statements that may not be completely accurate. 

To your first dislike, yes, being a hub has it ups and downs.  I hear the argument that being a hub can make ticket prices more expensive and there's some truth to that but I will say that when I fly (which is often), ticket prices out of CLT tend to be on par, if not cheaper than PTI or RDU most of the time.  Plus with CLT, I can get to almost anywhere in the lower 48 without connecting at another airport. 

As for your second dislike, I also hear this a lot, mainly from CLT haters saying that the city has low O&D numbers (meaning people starting or ending their trip in Charlotte).  Yes, we do have way more connecting passengers than O&D, however, our O&D numbers are on par, if not greater than many of our pier cities.   For O&D number, Dec Lee, American's vice president for Charlotte hub operations, stated in a Forbes article just a few weeks ago that 78% of CLT passengers connect.  If you take that percentage and the number of passengers out of CLT last year (45,909,899), you get 10,1000 O&D passengers for the airport last year, that's more than the total number of passengers for many airports in cities Charlotte's size. 

When you consider 78% - 80% of American's traffic is connecting and then add in that the other airlines with ~10% market share are essentially 100% O&D, you end up with 10.1 million O&D passengers on AA and 4.6 million O&D passengers on the other airlines for a total of 14.7 million O&D passengers to Charlotte. 

That's a very respectful number for a city our size that has O&D traffic primarily driven by business demand and locals traveling for vacation/visiting family. We definitely get spikes for visitors during major events, sports travel, etc... too, but we of course don't have tons of visitors like Las Vegas, Orlando, San Francisco, etc... for people on vacation.

That 14.7 million number ties out very closely to Charlotte's "Average TSA screenings per day" which is 20,000. That would be 7.3 million passengers screened at Charlotte per year for a departure + 7.3 million people arriving (assuming people do round trips) for 14.6 million total people O&D at CLT.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

Oops, actually I took my number from total pax and not just AA pax.  Using just AA pax, you get 9,108,000 O&D, then add the other carriers (4,600,000) and you get 13.7 million O&D, still very good.   Am I right, I've only had one coffee this morning and am feeling lightheaded, someone tag me out please. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, jtmonk said:

Oops, actually I took my number from total pax and not just AA pax.  Using just AA pax, you get 9,108,000 O&D, then add the other carriers (4,600,000) and you get 13.7 million O&D, still very good.   Am I right, I've only had one coffee this morning and am feeling lightheaded, someone tag me out please. 

Nah that sounds right, you good!

• Like 1

Southwest will have two designated gates in the new Concourse A North, up from 1 today. WN is currently operating nine flights per day out of just one gate. They will soon add a 10th flight in the spring with their second daily flight to Nashville. With 2 gates, and assuming a little more slack in their gate utilization, WN could grow to 15-18 flights per day at Charlotte.

Would be awesome if they could add a flight to their Phoenix base and Las Vegas base to get some more flights out west as well as an extra flight to Dallas-Love and Houston-Hobby on top of their one daily to those cities. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m sorry you think my information is outdated and Invalid, I do my own research. Other then RDF and a few others here, We don’t have other many sources aside from the internet. 90% of the time I don’t provide information, It’s an opinion, a question, or a statement. And if it is a sliver of information it’s a fact. The statement I made previously was purely my emotions, I Love CLT more then any other airport in the world and I was genuinely disappointed in the previous information I researched, But thanks to you I now know that CLTs O&D numbers are high for a city our size. Thank you.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This is a 2/3 page story in the Wall Street Journal today whether good or bad it does highlight our excellent service to the world.  https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-an-american-airlines-monopoly-works-for-charlotte-1519225740?mod=nwsrl_politics_and_policy&cx_refModule=nwsrl

Ah the WSJ website. Expensive, just like our ticket prices.

• Like 3

If your trip was planned to have no rental car then that is a liability. I go to Montreal with some regularity and I usually fly to Burlington VT and rent a car and drive the 100 miles. Advantages are much lower cost flight, no long airport lines for customs and immigration because the auto border crossing is perfunctory, and I have the convenience of the car in Quebec. Plus BTV is a delightful smaller airport, friendly and Burlington is a charming city in its own right. I can fly CLT-BTV then drive and arrive no later than CLT-YUL+50$ cab to city center. Both flights require a connection.  Disadvantage is car parking and cost in Montreal.

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

Yep, both one stop.

Maybe wait and see if fares move around. CLT - Toronto is busy heavy, less so for GSO. Although AA and Air Canada suck up most of the biz demand on the nonstops from CLT, so the connections might be lagging on pricing lower. GSO might just always end up cheaper on that route due to having less demand. The airlines have been running some interesting specials lately to watch. AA had CLT - LAX and SFO for only $259 round trip for dates through May and it was on sale for about 2 weeks. Now the fare bounced back up to $400. Set an alert if you can for good deals.

Edited by CLT2014

8 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Maybe wait and see if fares move around. CLT - Toronto is busy heavy, less so for GSO. Although AA and Air Canada suck up most of the biz demand on the nonstops from CLT, so the connections might be lagging on pricing lower. GSO might just always end up cheaper on that route due to having less demand. The airlines have been running some interesting specials lately to watch. AA had CLT - LAX and SFO for only $259 round trip for dates through May and it was on sale for about 2 weeks. Now the fare bounced back up to $400. Set an alert if you can for good deals.

Oh, CLT to LA is crazy low. Got a roundtrip in 2015 for $223.

• Like 1