Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

11 hours ago, soumith050118 said:

Yes, JAL airlines is a partner of America

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2017/09/30/as-american-airlines-moves-boeing-767s-to-philly-charlotte-could-get-more-europe-flights/#47913dd127f3

Vasu Raja said he wanted to add CLT-Europe flights that had connecting opportunities from Oneworld carriers. According to the article, that could include Helinski, Berlin, London, and Madrid,

That could mean either a 3rd nonstop to LHR, year-round Madrid, or twice daily seasonal Madrid. It could also mean new destinations such as Helsinki and Berlin. I know Charlotte has many German-area companies, but does it have many Berlin companies?

I hate to be a pessimist again, but...

- 3rd Daily LHR: Not likely. There are no available slots at LHR even if AA wanted to add another flight.  BA also has no incentive to resume service due to the JV.

- Year-Round Madrid: Possible, but AA seems content routing passengers to destinations it doesn’t serve in Europe through LHR.

- HEL: No. HEL is good for connecting passengers from Europe to Asia and vice versa, but that’s about it.  Unless you’re going to Russia or the Baltics from the US, HEL involves overflying LHR and backtracking to almost all JV partner Finnair’s destinations. AA is also not going to flow passengers heading to Asia through HEL when it has flights to most major Asian cities from DFW/ORD/LAX, a Pacific JV with JAL, and a new partnership and equity stake in China Southern.  Plus, AA doesn’t serve HEL from any hub, and Finnair only serves JFK Year-round (ORD and MIA are seasonal).

- Berlin: No. First, AirBerlin went bankrupt and has been sold off in pieces.  Second, Charlotte has few companies from that part of Germany.  Third, I don’t see any US carriers adding service to Berlin until the new, massively-delayed Berlin Brandenburg airport opens (at best) in 2021+.

Ted Reed lives in Charlotte and used to work for US Airways.  While I’m a huge CLT fanboy, I take his reporting with a grain of salt.

Edited by cltcane
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, uptownliving said:

CLT is taking bids for the design of the Runway 18C End Around Taxiway. This will allow planes to taxi around the center parallel runway without having to stop between Concourse A North and the West Parallel Runway near 485. This will shave a few minutes off the taxi time as well as increase safety. Still about 2 years before this becomes reality, but good to see them moving forward.

IMG_20180312_124120.jpg

I'm going to miss the overlook if they build this option. Anyone know if they would replace it if they go this route?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Exile said:

Random CLT question: from Google earth 10/8/2016 imagery. What?:blink:

I know little about airport ops, but I gotta figure that's nonstandard.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 3.10.18 PM.png

The plane is taking off, it probably went airborne a little further down the runway.  That, along with angle of the picture gives the allusion of the plane being in the grass. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Exile said:

Random CLT question: from Google earth 10/8/2016 imagery. What?:blink:

I know little about airport ops, but I gotta figure that's nonstandard.

Screen Shot 2018-03-13 at 3.10.18 PM.png

The airplane has taken off. The view of the plane in this photo is from just the right angle to make it appear to be parked on the grass.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Midwoodian said:

Got this blasting out of CLT yesterday. A very cool decorative crown on top of the new tower. It seems like each new tower project gets one decorative aspect. The crown is a nice it for CLT. I wonder if it will have LED lighting that changes.

934d0d410fc8d7c8236302bc4823d411.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like this way more than I should.  Very cool!

32 minutes ago, Midwoodian said:

Got this blasting out of CLT yesterday. A very cool decorative crown on top of the new tower. It seems like each new tower project gets one decorative aspect. The crown is a nice it for CLT. I wonder if it will have LED lighting that changes.

It's a very Queen of Hearts crown

• Like 2

The #FAA lifted an #ASDE antenna to the top of the new 370-ft. #AirTrafficControl tower @CLTAirport this morning. #ASDE provides radar coverage for #aircraft and vehicles that move on the #airport surface. It will be the second tallest tower in the #USA.     from the FAA twitter feed via CLT's twitter

• Like 1

It will be white, according to plans. I’m surprised that the second tallest Airport control tower In the country isn’t more visible. The land is between 725-750 feet which is some of the highest elevated land in this part of Mecklenburg County. I find it’s most visible on Tyvola  as well as westbound Billy Graham. Otherwise- there aren’t many places to see it. 

14 hours ago, Jordan84 said:

It will be white, according to plans. I’m surprised that the second tallest Airport control tower In the country isn’t more visible. The land is between 725-750 feet which is some of the highest elevated land in this part of Mecklenburg County. I find it’s most visible on Tyvola  as well as westbound Billy Graham. Otherwise- there aren’t many places to see it. 

You can thank Charlottes topography and tree lines for that. Some of it is visible from 485. Not visible in many other areas.