Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

2 minutes ago, csweet said:

That article only mentioned 1 international lounge in addition to the London one. There is definitely one in Buenos Aires and it is close to the dimensions of the one being built in CLT. Its incredible. Comparable to the Virgin First Class Lounge in Heathrow.

7 minutes ago, csweet said:

Been watching these travel credit card vloggers...they'll be all over this when it's done lol.  That Amex Plat though, although super nice, can't stomach that $550 annual fee.  Now for those who travel a lot, the 5x on flights/hotels and all the other benefits, def make up for the fee.

Next, they need to put a Centurion Suite at Spectrum Center where the current Sprite Zone is.  (Staples center has one).

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

On 12/5/2018 at 1:14 PM, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

That article only mentioned 1 international lounge in addition to the London one. There is definitely one in Buenos Aires and it is close to the dimensions of the one being built in CLT. Its incredible. Comparable to the Virgin First Class Lounge in Heathrow.

The Buenos Aires lounge isn't a Centurion Lounge. The only true "Centurion Lounges" as of right now are in the US and in HKG. The lounges in Buenos Aires, Sydney, Melbourne, New Delhi, and Mexico are "American Express International Lounges". They usually aren't operated by American Express directly (the one in Sydney was contracted out) and don't usually offer the same amenities. For example, in the Mexico lounges, most food and drink is for purchase. 

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

The Buenos Aires lounge isn't a Centurion Lounge. The only true "Centurion Lounges" as of right now are in the US and in HKG. The lounges in Buenos Aires, Sydney, Melbourne, New Delhi, and Mexico are "American Express International Lounges". They usually aren't operated by American Express directly (the one in Sydney was contracted out) and don't usually offer the same amenities. For example, in the Mexico lounges, most food and drink is for purchase. 

https://thecenturionlounge.com/international/

It is...

1 hour ago, LKN704 said:

Perfect explanation, LKN704.  I am in the MEX lounge often and have visited a couple of the others. While definitely very nice and  well above average, the international American Express Lounges/Centurion Clubs aren’t the same as the ‘official’ Centurion Lounges, which offer significantly better (free) food and drink options. The Centurion Lounges are by far the best non-airline lounges in the US and rival the best airline business class lounges in the world; however they get EXTREMELY crowded. Luckily AmEx has realized the need for larger lounges and is limiting the number of guests allowed, so hopefully that will ultimately result in a more relaxing and productive lounge experience.  I may start getting to CLT early in 2020. :)

Edited by cltcane

1 minute ago, cltcane said:

Perfect explanation, LKN704.  I am in the MEX lounge often and have visited a couple of the others. While definitely very nice and  well above average, the international Centurion Clubs aren’t the same as the ‘official’ Centurion Lounges, which offer significantly better (free) food and drink options. The Centurion Lounges are by far the best non-airline lounges in the US and rival the best airline business class lounges in the world; however they get EXTREMELY crowded. Luckily AmEx has realized the need for larger lounges and is limiting the number of guests allowed, so hopefully that will ultimately result in a more relaxing and productive lounge experience.  I may start getting to CLT early in 2020. :)

I can't speak for MEX but it IS a centurion lounge in BA with free and similar food options to the US locations, if not larger.

22 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

I can't speak for MEX but it IS a centurion lounge in BA with free and similar food options to the US locations, if not larger.

The other international lounges, as LKN704 noted, aren’t directly operated by American Express (at least as far as I’ve been told).  That’s why they aren’t listed on the Centurion Lounge website and why amenities vary from lounge to lounge.  Regardless, these are all great lounges and are definitely worth a visit.  I’m super exited to be getting one in CLT after years of wishing AmEx would consider us due to our AA hub.

Edited by cltcane

I think this makes the only city that RDU has service to that CLT does not. I guess it makes sense from an RDU perspective, especially because WN essentially has a focus-city type operation on both ends.

I still find it puzzling that AA could not make this work. IIRC, the flight started off with an A319 and then was eventually upguaged to an A321/738. AA still has a decent, loyal FF-base in SJC from their old hub days, so I figured this flight would make sense. 

I know ATL is a larger hub that has a larger O&D base to pull from, but it's interesting that DL easily makes ATL-Secondary West coast cities work. They have SJC/TUS/ABQ/SNA and they are resuming service to ONT/BUR next year and starting PSP. 

• Like 1

Volaris started today!  3 weeks later than it was originally supposed to, but the flight was full.  It's over 2 and half hours late leaving though.  Hopefully they are able to withstand the push back from AA and survive!

I'm surprised as well that AAcouldn't make SJC work given the success stories of other CLT-secondary west coast markets.  (PDX, SMF, and SLC).  The only ones that haven't worked are TUS (twice)  and ABQ.  I guess yields must of have been terrible.  I imagine they will try it again at some point.  ATL probably makes them work due to high volume and no competition unlike CLT with DFW.  

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 4

Two new shops now open on the Concourse A North Expansion.  These aren't actually  Concourse A North, but instead in the connector.  Looks like there will also be a Rocky Mountain Chocolate factory.  Also , still waiting on the Smash Burger to Open in A North

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 1

CLT Expansion news.   

The new boarding area for E14-16 opened today.  It doesn't appear to include any new seating area, nor is it added gates,  but it will relieve congestion.  It also allowed gates E10 and E12 to be reopened.

Additionally a new south cross-field  taxiway will be built between Runway's 36C and 36R which will be related to a relocation of the De-Icing pads.  I haven't seen anything about this mentioned in the "Destination CLT" master plan so this may be a new development.

http://www.airport-world.com/news/general-news/6951-wsp-usa-to-work-on-airfield-projects-at-charlotte-douglas-international-airport.html

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 3

That’s interesting. One of the things that I always liked about E is that each flight has its  own specific gate area and boarding door, versus other regional terminals that make you sit in a large holding room and then passing through a common gate serving multiple flights before heading to a passageway that leads you to a door where you actually board. CVG’s old Concourse C was like this, as is DL at SLC, the UA Express Terminal at IAH and Concourse A at IAD. 

I never knew they were going to change the gate area that drastically. Tbh, this won’t really remove congestion; it will simply push it from the gate area into the front of the holding area for the group of gates. 

Also, I find it odd that the signage for each gate is different than the new ones they have been adding in A and E. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LKN704 said:

That’s interesting. One of the things that I always liked about E is that each flight has its  own specific gate area and boarding door, versus other regional terminals that make you sit in a large holding room and then passing through a common gate serving multiple flights before heading to a passageway that leads you to a door where you actually board. CVG’s old Concourse C was like this, as is DL at SLC, the UA Express Terminal at IAH and Concourse A at IAD. 

I never knew they were going to change the gate area that drastically. Tbh, this won’t really remove congestion; it will simply push it from the gate area into the front of the holding area for the group of gates. 

Also, I find it odd that the signage for each gate is different than the new ones they have been adding in A and E. 

Good points.  MIA and IAD have the same for their regional gates.   Does anyone else understand the use of carpeting instead of Terrazzo? CLT has no uniformity in design except the use of that awkward blue tone and carpeting everywhere.  I fly thru CLT a lot, just wish they would have put more thought into the airport redevelopment plan from a design and usability standpoint.  I will say that i rarely have any flights that are cancelled or delayed transiting thru CLT, credit to them for that.  Same goes for my father, who is a key concierge with AA and travels much much more than me.

I understand the budgeting constraints, operating constraints and CLT's low operating cost for AA.

Ideally, B/C/E renovations would more so mimic the new Terminal A North expansion, with a little YVR and Changi design touch sprinkled in, along with some glass jetways.  I am rambling on a little bit, but i am sure some of you can see where CLT may have missed the mark in terms of design. 

Also if you land on 36L/18R and you are on a regional jet, taxing to Terminal E is a beaaaaaast!

Edited by NikolaTesla

On 12/21/2018 at 10:05 AM, LKN704 said:

CLT actually currently uses this same set up on a another portion of E (Gate 36,-38). This is also the area where they will soon be expanding.  It seems like the majority of the time that I've flown into E lately it's been one of those gates.  It is somewhat reminiscent of concourse C at CVG.   The new E expansion will not be added gates but creation of more gate space for existing.  As is there is  a shortage of seats. 

The lack of consistency with this latest renovation is due to the fact that E will not be getting renovated.  Per the CLT Airport Website.  Only A, B, C, D and the Atrium will be getting renovated.  E is relatively new compared to the other concourses.  I also think it eludes to the fact that they may be building a midfield express terminal eventually.  Perhaps they don't want to put too much into renovations?

http://www.cltairport.com/News/Pages/DestinationCLTProjects.aspx

On 12/21/2018 at 12:11 PM, NikolaTesla said:

Good points.  MIA and IAD have the same for their regional gates.   Does anyone else understand the use of carpeting instead of Terrazzo? CLT has no uniformity in design except the use of that awkward blue tone and carpeting everywhere.  I fly thru CLT a lot, just wish they would have put more thought into the airport redevelopment plan from a design and usability standpoint.  I will say that i rarely have any flights that are cancelled or delayed transiting thru CLT, credit to them for that.  Same goes for my father, who is a key concierge with AA and travels much much more than me.

I understand the budgeting constraints, operating constraints and CLT's low operating cost for AA.

Ideally, B/C/E renovations would more so mimic the new Terminal A North expansion, with a little YVR and Changi design touch sprinkled in, along with some glass jetways.  I am rambling on a little bit, but i am sure some of you can see where CLT may have missed the mark in terms of design. 

Also if you land on 36L/18R and you are on a regional jet, taxing to Terminal E is a beaaaaaast!

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

CLT actually currently uses this same set up on a another portion of E (Gate 36,-38). This is also the area where they will soon be expanding.  It seems like the majority of the time that I've flown into E lately it's been one of those gates.  It is somewhat reminiscent of concourse C at CVG.   The new E expansion will not be added gates but creation of more gate space for existing.  As is there is  a shortage of seats. 

The lack of consistency with this latest renovation is due to the fact that E will not be getting renovated.  Per the CLT Airport Website.  Only A, B, C, D and the Atrium will be getting renovated.  E is relatively new compared to the other concourses.  I also think it eludes to the fact that they may be building a midfield express terminal eventually.  Perhaps they don't want to put too much into renovations?

http://www.cltairport.com/News/Pages/DestinationCLTProjects.aspx

By consistency, i mean the way all of the terminals look so different. B/C vs. A North vs. A vs. E vs. D etc., but i guess that's what you get for different build out years.   I understand where you are coming from regarding the midfield terminal...but I am guessing that won't happen for at least another 7-10 years?  What i am trying to get at is that the renovations for B/C are subpar aesthetically and it terms of improving functionality.  It's like someone put together a quick  design in like a day and presented it and it was approved.  I'm not a interior design expert but any means, but you would think they would have put more thought into the colors, textures and materials to enhance the passenger experience and stand out as a world class 45+ mill passenger airport. 

B/C are way overcrowded and I don't see the renovations alleviating that problem.  The terminals are just not wide enough to accommodate all of the gate holding traffic.   I know they are trying to address the ceiling height by raising the ceiling tiles. but i don't see much difference with the the new elevated ceiling, it's still pretty short and ceiling tiles belong in an office building, not a world class airport.  

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy transiting thru CLT and will continue to do so, but I think CLT missed the mark with the B and C renovations.  On the other hand, A North looks great.   Maybe i am rushing to judgement, we will see what it looks like completely finished. 

Edited by NikolaTesla

1 hour ago, NikolaTesla said:

By consistency, i mean the way all of the terminals look so different. B/C vs. A North vs. A vs. E vs. D etc., but i guess that's what you get for different build out years.   I understand where you are coming from regarding the midfield terminal...but I am guessing that won't happen for at least another 7-10 years?  What i am trying to get at is that the renovations for B/C are subpar aesthetically and it terms of improving functionality.  It's like someone put together a quick  design in like a day and presented it and it was approved.  I'm not a interior design expert but any means, but you would think they would have put more thought into the colors, textures and materials to enhance the passenger experience and stand out as a world class 45+ mill passenger airport. 

B/C are way overcrowded and I don't see the renovations alleviating that problem.  The terminals are just not wide enough to accommodate all of the gate holding traffic.   I know they are trying to address the ceiling height by raising the ceiling tiles. but i don't see much difference with the the new elevated ceiling, it's still pretty short and ceiling tiles belong in an office building, not a world class airport.  

Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy transiting thru CLT and will continue to do so, but I think CLT missed the mark with the B and C renovations.  On the other hand, A North looks great.   Maybe i am rushing to judgement, we will see what it looks like completely finished. 

Once renovations are complete.  A, B, C, and the old portion of D should all look the same.  The A North expansion will continue to be by far the nicest portion of the airport, and the "new part of D. and E will still have the  "old style  layout.  If you notice though, they are making more of a effort to widen "old" A it seems.   Helped by the fact part of A isn't in use.  The renovations are being done "on the cheap" almost certainly at the request of AA.   Simply put from a business perspective, CLT uses the "Wal-Mart" business model of serving high volumes of low yielding passengers.  Therefore, like it or not, renovations will be done on the cheap.  I don't have a source, but I do think even AA has been disappointed in the quality of the B renovations so far.  To put it into perspective  CLT is spending a combined $70 million renovating 60 gates at CLT, but AA"s terminal renovation at LAX  with around 28 gates and only servicing 16 million passenger is being renovated for $1.6 billion.   AA is concerned more about functionality than aesthetics at CLT.  Yes, the concourses are narrow, but they are still functional and that is all that matters.

If AA has it their way, I imagine they will never fly out of any part of the A North Expansion.  Instead taking the second hand "old" A gates, and forcing the other airlines to use the A North Expansion gates which almost certainly require the airlines using them to pay higher fees.    There are plans to extend both concourses B and C, but I imagine they will be done to match the existing concourses B and C, not the concourse A North expansion.  

This logic would seem to contradict my theory of a midfield express terminal though, but I think  AA might approve of it if it allows for an  eventually expansion of concourse D.  International gates are currently at a premium.  It should be fine for the near future,  but they may need to add more gates eventually.  

I"m excited for the expansion of the main terminal/roadway canopy though.  As long as it is not extensively value engineered,  it will go a long way toward making at least the entrance of the airport feel world class.

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 3

I am confused about the lack of renovations on Concourse E because the Destination CLT page clearly features a CGI picture of a renovated Concourse E with new ceiling tiles and renovated flooring, and the website at one point said that E would be renovated, so something must have changed. 

16 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

but I do think even AA has been disappointed in the quality of the B renovations so far. 

They are. IIRC, a friend of mine also said that AA is ticked at how long the renovations in B are taking as well. However, AA cannot have it both ways. If they wanted a more upscale renovation process, they could have forked over money like they are doing in LAX and they chose not to. 

Did L-AA pay for renovations at DFW, or was it entirely funded by DFW itself?