Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

On 1/30/2019 at 6:01 PM, LKN704 said:

Looking at a Brookings report from 2011, I believe CLT-LGW was 165 PDEW, CLT-FRA was roughly 87 PDEW, CLT-MUC was roughly 60 PDEW.

Given that the data is roughly 8 years old, I wouldn't be surprised to see each of the numbers rise, especially LHR, which was probably stimulated by the switchover from LGW to LHR and the addition of the second daily flight. 

At the time of that report, RDU-LHR was the largest O/D market to Europe ex North Carolina, with around 175 PDEW.

Thanks for that.

Starting on March 18.  Public Charter/Business shuttle airline Ultimate Air Shuttle will begin flights from CLT to Atlanta- PDK (DeKalb-Peachtree airport). 
They will fly 2 flights Monday through Thursday and a 1 flight on Friday

Ultimate Air Shuttle has flown CLT-LUK ( Cincinnati Municipal Lunken Airport) since 2013 and currently flies one flight a day Monday through Thursday.

Flights are operated mainly  by Dornier 328 jets and occasionally by an Embraer Erj-135

You can find the flight schedule below.

https://ultimateairshuttle.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/022519_promo_single6.pdf

They seem to have found an interesting niche and I don't see why this can't work as a convenient alternative to ATL. 

Worthy of note.  i believe that this is their first scheduled route that neither originates or ends in Cincinnati.

Edit:  Just announced on the CLT Airport Twitter.

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, QClifer said:

Will Spirit operate out of A north with the other small airlines? 

Gates A28 and A29 are common use gates controlled by the city. Currently Frontier and Air Canada use them, but they do not have exclusive lease like United, Southwest, and JetBlue have on their gates in A-Expansion.

Spirit Airlines could use A29 mainly since they will just have four flights per day and share the gate with Air Canada (2 flights per day).

Edited by CLT2014

4 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Bag fees are dynamic based on route and date, but an example would be $32 for a checked bag each way and $37 for a carry-on each way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Schedule: 
CLT - EWR: Departes 6:00AM and Arrives 8:00AM
EWR - CLT: Departes 8:45AM and Arrives 10:45AM

CLT - BWI: Departes 11:30AM and Arrives 12:50PM
BWI - CLT: Departes 1:40PM and Arrives 3:05PM

CLT - MCO: Departes 3:50PM and Arrives 5:25PM
MCO - CLT: Departes 5:42PM and Arrives 7:14PM

CLT - FLL: Departes 7:59PM and Arrives 9:59PM
FLL - CLT: Departes 8:59PM and Arrives 10:59PM

• Like 3

On 2/10/2019 at 6:42 AM, AirNostrumMAD said:

The new terminal is so dope 

I agree.  I was inside of the new terminal a couple months ago.  I was very impressed.  I am certain I took pictures and I was going to post them here but my phone camera seems to have eaten the images I shot.  I don't know what the reason was, but when I was there very few people were using that terminal.  Then I went over to the terminal where my flight was departing (Terminal B) and there was barely any room to move, it was so jam-packed crowded.

20 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Schedule: 
CLT - EWR: Departes 6:00AM and Arrives 8:00AM
EWR - CLT: Departes 8:45AM and Arrives 10:45AM

CLT - BWI: Departes 11:30AM and Arrives 12:50PM
BWI - CLT: Departes 1:40PM and Arrives 3:05PM

CLT - MCO: Departes 3:50PM and Arrives 5:25PM
MCO - CLT: Departes 5:42PM and Arrives 7:14PM

CLT - FLL: Departes 7:59PM and Arrives 9:59PM
FLL - CLT: Departes 8:59PM and Arrives 10:59PM

Finally, a second carrier that will fly to South Florida!!!  AA's been dominating MIA/FLL for too long with no competition.  A 3rd carrier to MCO doesn't hurt either.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Finally, a second carrier that will fly to South Florida!!!  AA's been dominating MIA/FLL for too long with no competition.  A 3rd carrier to MCO doesn't hurt either.

Don't forget about G4 in Concord. This add might cause some trouble for the ULCC boys out at JQF with their flights to FLL/Orlando-Sanford.

6 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

5 hours ago, csweet said:

Don't forget about G4 in Concord. This add might cause some trouble for the ULCC boys out at JQF with their flights to FLL/Orlando-Sanford.

As a resident of Miami I am so happy about this! I was hoping for JetBlue but I’ll take anything to reduce the pricing even if it’s to FLL.

As far as G4 hopefully this will cause them to eventually consider CLT once the new gates are built... IMO they are limiting themselves by flying out of Concord where they may not draw as many people from the greater metropolitan area. I don’t think it’s much of a stretch to suggest a lot people may not even know G4 flies out of Concord...

Ironically the launch fares in June and July for Spirit is currently priced around $380 to $460 round trip on CLT - FLL without any bags. Add one bag and the total fare bumps up to $444 to $524 round trip. Where's the deals Spirit!!! LOL

American is priced at $233 to $336 for non-stops in July for their basic economy product (also without bags) or $273 to 376 for standard economy with a carry on bag & seat assignment. 

Allegiant is priced at $169 to $240 round trip for their daily flight from Concord (no bags). Round trip carry on bag costs $40. 

It might be too early though and Spirit might lower fares closer in to July. 

Edited by CLT2014

The 4th parallel runway was never going to be built to specifically accommodate the A380. 

The 4th parallel runway is being built to enable aircraft to reach Asia and the Middle East at MTOW, which most aircraft are unable to do at this point from CLT’s existing runways. 

That said, I still question the need for it TBH. The 787 can easily reach Japan at MTOW from 18C/36C. A 787 to Japan is the closest chance CLT has to an Asian flight. 

CLT will never have a 77W/779 flight to HKG/DEL or anywhere like that. 

Sad about the A380 though. I understand the reasoning behind the cancellation, but from a passenger perspective it is one of my favorite aircraft. Very quiet and smooth in flight. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 2

On 2/13/2019 at 1:31 AM, JacksonH said:

...I don't know what the reason was, but when I was there very few people were using that terminal.  Then I went over to the terminal where my flight was departing (Terminal B) and there was barely any room to move, it was so jam-packed crowded.

A North is only used by airlines other than AA. The other airlines have much lower gate utilization and much smaller average aircraft size than AA so there's a lot less people in a much larger space.

11 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

The 4th parallel runway was never going to be built to specifically accommodate the A380. 

The 4th parallel runway is being built to enable aircraft to reach Asia and the Middle East at MTOW, which most aircraft are unable to do at this point from CLT’s existing runways. 

That said, I still question the need for it TBH. The 787 can easily reach Japan at MTOW from 18C/36C. A 787 to Japan is the closest chance CLT has to an Asian flight. 

CLT will never have a 77W/779 flight to HKG/DEL or anywhere like that. 

Sad about the A380 though. I understand the reasoning behind the cancellation, but from a passenger perspective it is one of my favorite aircraft. Very quiet and smooth in flight. 

The 4th runway isn't only aimed at passenger flights to Asia. The airport is targeting cargo operations too and the cargo aircraft would need that runway length. I think there's a decent chance CLT gets a cargo flight to Asia and/or the Middle East before passenger flights.

• Like 2