Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

7 hours ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

Aren't the new Air Force Ones suppose to be Boeing 747-800s?

Yea but that doesn’t matter for the runways for Charlotte... the current VC-25 (Boeing 747-200 variant) are specifically designed to be able to land on shorter runways in the event of needing to access a region with only a short runway available or a rough combat zone.

Edited by saamh

56 minutes ago, csweet said:

Aer Lingus should be joining the transatlantic JV with AA/BA/IB/AY soon, so flying to an AA hub would make sense. Although AA flies this route already so I'm not sure what would be gained by having Aer Lingus fly it. It seems unlikely to go to multiple daily flights but this may push the route to stay year round instead of just during the summer. And Aer Lingus will begin receiving A321LRs this year. I'm assuming these new routes would be launched in 2020 or beyond so would be good candidates for A321LR routes.  That may point to more northeast, midwest, and Canada destinations (I'm hoping CLT-DUB never uses the A321 because that would be a looooong flight on a narrowbody). Because of the JV it might make more sense to let AA fly to DUB from their hubs and have EI handle spoke cities in North America, but who knows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TCLT said:

Aer Lingus should be joining the transatlantic JV with AA/BA/IB/AY soon, so flying to an AA hub would make sense. Although AA flies this route already so I'm not sure what would be gained by having Aer Lingus fly it. It seems unlikely to go to multiple daily flights but this may push the route to stay year round instead of just during the summer. And Aer Lingus will begin receiving A321LRs this year. I'm assuming these new routes would be launched in 2020 or beyond so would be good candidates for A321LR routes.  That may point to more northeast, midwest, and Canada destinations (I'm hoping CLT-DUB never uses the A321 because that would be a looooong flight on a narrowbody). Because of the JV it might make more sense to let AA fly to DUB from their hubs and have EI handle spoke cities in North America, but who knows.

CLT-DUB was actually originally flown by a 757.  The A321LR adds something that AA can't offer.  Therefore, like you mentioned above I could see this as opportunity to go year round   with an AA 332, and EI A321 in the summer, and just the EI A321 in the winter.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

The idea a person willingly gets on an airplane with no idea where they are going blows my mind.

Last year I was walking to my gate at CLT and passed a woman who was on her phone. Her conversation went something like this: "I'm in Charlotte, South Carolina".

I stopped, walked back to her, and politely said, "No, you're in Charlotte, NORTH Carolina. Best to know where you are if you're going to trust a third party to get you where you want to go."

Her eyes got large, nodded to me, and said into her phone, "I've been corrected. I'm in Charlotte, North Carolina."

I felt better knowing she'd never make that mistake again. :tw_blush:

They must have never connected in Filthadelphia, NewJersey. 

6 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

The idea a person willingly gets on an airplane with no idea where they are going blows my mind.

Last year I was walking to my gate at CLT and passed a woman who was on her phone. Her conversation went something like this: "I'm in Charlotte, South Carolina".

I stopped, walked back to her, and politely said, "No, you're in Charlotte, NORTH Carolina. Best to know where you are if you're going to trust a third party to get you where you want to go."

Her eyes got large, nodded to me, and said into her phone, "I've been corrected. I'm in Charlotte, North Carolina."

I felt better knowing she'd never make that mistake again. :tw_blush:

I failed to mention he said Charle-ton SC  the CH factor is real.

• Haha 1