Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

1 hour ago, CLT> said:

The A350 made an early visit 3 days ago

(image from the CLT Airport Instagram)

23727044-A0C0-41AE-8BA1-8ADC7D0D933F.jpeg

Nice photo with the reversers activated.  Love the sound when the air is redirected.  I am also guessing this plane will be going to the paint shop in the near future. 

Edited by NikolaTesla

10 hours ago, xapostrophe said:

They could also put a bridge in the middle between both concourses. Where that open seating area is... And Bam new gate. Plus it was already on the plans and the model that's in that seating area.

Hmmmm, that would be a very interesting idea. There's definitely room in that area for passenger seating. I'm inclined to know what the biggest plane you could park.  That wouldn't impact a jetBlue E90 on A22 and a Delta CRJ9 on A1? The gate would be restricted for smaller regionals like ERJ145s/CRJ2, I imagine? Maybe Contour could utilize this proposed gate? This would help free up A29 for Spirit. 

This idea just popped into my mind. They could even just build a covered ramp up to the concourse. This way, you save space without having a jetway to dock with the aircraft. 

Edited by JetBlueCLT

1 hour ago, JetBlueCLT said:

Hmmmm, that would be a very interesting idea. There's definitely room in that area for passenger seating. I'm inclined to know what the biggest plane you could park.  That wouldn't impact a jetBlue E90 on A22 and a Delta CRJ9 on A1? The gate would be restricted for smaller regionals like ERJ145s/CRJ2, I imagine? Maybe Contour could utilize this proposed gate? This would help free up A29 for Spirit. 

This idea just popped into my mind. They could even just build a covered ramp up to the concourse. This way, you save space without having a jetway to dock with the aircraft. 

Are you guys talking about the ramp space in front of the Terminal A Connector? Just trying to see if i am thinking about the right area.  

Edit.  NVM I see now that it is using the A22, A1 gates your referenced above. 

Edited by NikolaTesla

46 minutes ago, NikolaTesla said:

Are you guys talking about the ramp space in front of the Terminal A Connector? Just trying to see if i am thinking about the right area.  

Edit.  NVM I see now that it is using the A22, A1 gates your referenced above. 

Yes I am.

The connector was supposed to have Gate halfway down.  It's in the animation. And the scale model that's in the sitting area in the connector.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uptownliving said:

Speaking of the New Concourse A, City Council earlier this week approved the architectural contract for Phase 2 which will be a 10 gate expansion. Construction is expected to begin by the end of this year. When complete I would expect Delta to move to these new gates and American will take over all of original A.

Is there a targeted completion date for the extra 10 gates? 2021-22? 

1 hour ago, uptownliving said:

Speaking of the New Concourse A, City Council earlier this week approved the architectural contract for Phase 2 which will be a 10 gate expansion. Construction is expected to begin by the end of this year. When complete I would expect Delta to move to these new gates and American will take over all of original A.

When did the Phase II expansion get reduced to 10 gates?  The Destination CLT page still lists it as 16 gates.  Looks like the third pier won’t be a part of the expansion if that’s the case.  Airport improvement projects change so often that it’s hard to keep up.

2 hours ago, uptownliving said:

I would assume Delta wouldn’t take over all 10 of those new gates, right? Maybe 7 of the 10. That would leave 3 gates for any current tenant who wants to expand or for a potential new airline to enter CLT. 

5 hours ago, uptownliving said:

Where/which direction is the expansion occurring?  Anyone have an rendering?

On 3/30/2019 at 9:02 AM, uptownliving said:

COME ON DELTA SKY CLUB!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dale said:

Just for kicks, plugged in a round-trip to Munich. Yikes! $1,500.

For some reason prices to Germany has shot way up recently.  I am planning another flight over to Hamburg in July and right now tickets are around $1950 on Lufthansa (no cheaper on American).  I can usually grab Premium Economy for that price on the same routes (Typically $1500 to Hamburg + $500 for Premium Economy on CLT-MUC-CLT).   Not that I am paying the fares myself, but higher prices might only get me 2 trips to HQ per year where it has been 3 previously.   

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

For some reason prices to Germany has shot way up recently.  I am planning another flight over to Hamburg in July and right now tickets are around $1950 on Lufthansa (no cheaper on American).  I can usually grab Premium Economy for that price on the same routes (Typically $1500 to Hamburg + $500 for Premium Economy on CLT-MUC-CLT).   Not that I am paying the fares myself, but higher prices might only get me 2 trips to HQ per year where it has been 3 previously.   

I'm flying this route in May on the 350, with points it was reasonable but these prices are getting out of hand. 

Lufthansa A350-900, seats 293 passengers.

Load factor of only 60% at avg. of $1,500 pp = $263,700 in revenue for the flight

Load factor of 90% at avg. of $1,000 pp = $263,700 in revenue for the flight

The flight with less passengers at a higher ticket price will burn less fuel, require less complementary bag handling, use less free snacks/drinks, etc... despite generating the same amount of revenue. 

With the death of airlines like Wow and struggling ULCC model across the Atlantic, the regular airlines are likely going to back to targeting premium business travelers with less full planes at higher fares. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, allthingsplanes said:

So I saw this when I was at the airport a couple of weeks ago.  Is this the new "canopy" that is taking the place of what was in the renderings?

That is just temporary while they rebuild the terminal lobby. It rains a lot here, so having a sturdy temporary canopy until 2025 is worth it as passengers will have a bit of a walk from the curbside into the existing terminal during construction. 

• Like 1