Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

I would say RDU should have a flight to Beijing or Shanghai. But definitly not from CLT.

All of the Tier 1 China route authorities for US airlines are used at this point. There will be no more flights from the US airlines to Beijing or Shanghai unless existing flights are ended. And even if there were authorities available there’s zero chance RDU would land a flight.

I suppose a Chinese airline could start the flight to Raleigh but I just don’t see a scenario where that happens. There are much larger unserved markets, including Charlotte.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Heard from a Delta pilot that they might start Amsterdam service from RDU why don't we have a nonstop to Amsterdam from CLT?

It's all about Alliances and Joint Ventures for onward connections.

Delta is #1 at RDU so SkyTeam hubs: CDG, AMS, FCO, MXP

For CLT, its OneWorld Hubs so: LON, MAD, HEL, soon CMN

Would be nice to see BA take over one of the LHR dailies from CLT.

27 minutes ago, CLT> said:

It's all about Alliances and Joint Ventures for onward connections.

Delta is #1 at RDU so SkyTeam hubs: CDG, AMS, FCO, MXP

For CLT, its OneWorld Hubs so: LON, MAD, HEL, soon CMN

Would be nice to see BA take over one of the LHR dailies from CLT.

Have you confirmed a flight to Casablanca? Or is that just hearsay? 

13 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

He's just saying Royal Air Maroc is a joining OW in early to mid 2020. 

Exactly, no implied flights to CLT soon, just what might pan out in the future as a logical OW connection point.

My issue with the OW alliance is that all of their European carriers offer abysmal LCC service in Y on their European flights at this point that makes Domestic service on the US3 look like SQ or CX. If I have to connect in Europe I would personally much rather do so on a LH Group carrier or AF/KLM, all of whom offer a full service Y product. While I am not saying I fly for food or that the other carriers will never adopt this service (Swiss is now BOB on their GVA-Europe flights), but I find having to pay for a glass of water on a 4 hour flight to IST on what calls itself a full-service airline silly. Meanwhile I flew LX last year and was given a warm croissant with a yogurt cup on a 70 minute flight in the AM, and then had a choice of sandwiches with free liquor on the return flight. 

Anyways, the thought of RDU-China is silly. No US carrier would even consider the route, and I doubt any Chinese carrier would either, except maybe Hainan. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

My issue with the OW alliance is that all of their European carriers offer abysmal LCC service in Y on their European flights at this point that makes Domestic service on the US3 look like SQ or CX. If I have to connect in Europe I would personally much rather do so on a LH Group carrier or AF/KLM, all of whom offer a full service Y product. While I am not saying I fly for food or that the other carriers will never adopt this service (Swiss is now BOB on their GVA-Europe flights), but I find having to pay for a glass of water on a 4 hour flight to IST on what calls itself a full-service airline silly. Meanwhile I flew LX last year and was given a warm croissant with a yogurt cup on a 70 minute flight in the AM, and then had a choice of sandwiches with free liquor on the return flight. 

Anyways, the thought of RDU-China is silly. No US carrier would even consider the route, and I doubt any Chinese carrier would either, except maybe Hainan. 

Agreed...the difference between BA and AF/KL intra-Europe is stark.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

And AA doesn't even offer PE to their largest long haul market from CLT.

• Like 2

TBH I would never pay for AA PE. I hate leather seating on long haul flights as I find them terribly uncomfortable (plus leather doesn’t absorb people’s farts as well :)) and I am too tall to use the calf bar. When in Y on a US carrier I usually order a Vegan meal which is always 100% better than the standard meal, so the improved meal service wouldn’t really matter to me. 

Very cool to see! Crazy to think that when this is all finished the "new" hourly decks will be a decade old almost. They'll need a facelift by then I'm sure. I'm glad the airport has chosen a relatively timeless "modern" design that's global enough to give CLT a world class image, while also being unique enough to where it could not easily be mistaken for another airport. I have often pondered whether it would have made more sense to start from scratch with CLT, but aside from some places in York county, this is the only viable option. I think CLT, and I'm not sure if there's a way to quantify this, is probably the largest airport with such close proximity to the CBD that I'm aware of. Yes there are many airports that are practically right in the middle of everything, but with something like 1600 flights a day, I dare to speculate Charlotte is a rarity considering it's only about a 15 min drive from Uptown, maybe even less depending on how fast you go, and the time of day. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, nakers2 said:

I think CLT, and I'm not sure if there's a way to quantify this, is probably the largest airport with such close proximity to the CBD that I'm aware of. Yes there are many airports that are practically right in the middle of everything, but with something like 1600 flights a day, I dare to speculate Charlotte is a rarity considering it's only about a 15 min drive from Uptown, maybe even less depending on how fast you go, and the time of day. 

Lots of ways to measure but easiest is using driving distance on Google maps to center city. Using those metrics, I believe only five “major” airports would rate closer to center city than CLT.

- Boston Logan (3.5 mi)

- San Diego (3.5 mi)

- San Jose (4.3 mi)

- Phoenix Sky Harbor (4.6 mi)

- Washington Reagan (4.6 mi)

- Charlotte Douglas (7.9 mi)

Others:

- Las Vegas McCarran (8.5 mi)

- LaGuardia* (9.1 mi)

- Hartsfield-Jackson (9.6 mi)

- Miami (10 mi)

Disclaimer: distance based on fastest route according to Google maps not necessarily shortest distance in which case Miami would definitely be closer than 10 miles. 

*LaGuardia measured to midtown Manhattan not downtown. 

EDIT to add: Let’s just say Hugh McColl was lucky he was able to get that FAA waiver to build the Corporate Center to 871 feet. 

Edited by Crucial_Infra
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Crucial_Infra said:

Lots of ways to measure but easiest is using driving distance on Google maps to center city. Using those metrics, I believe only five “major” airports would rate closer to center city than CLT.

- Boston Logan (3.5 mi)

- San Diego (3.5 mi)

- San Jose (4.3 mi)

- Phoenix Sky Harbor (4.6 mi)

- Washington Reagan (4.6 mi)

- Charlotte Douglas (7.9 mi)

Others:

- Las Vegas McCarran (8.5 mi)

- LaGuardia* (9.1 mi)

- Hartsfield-Jackson (9.6 mi)

- Miami (10 mi)

Disclaimer: distance based on fastest route to  according to Google maps not necessarily shortest distance in which case Miami would definitely be closer than 10 miles. 

*LaGuardia measured to midtown Manhattan not downtown. 

EDIT to add: Let’s just say Hugh McColl was lucky he was able to get that FAA waiver to build the Corporate Center to 871 feet. 

Vegas has tall towers much closer, so I'm not sure he was so lucky... Vegas is about 3 miles from the densest area of town to McCarran.

I'm hoping that with the effort it took to put together this construction phasing video that the time for value engineering is rapidly coming to a close. I am so geeked out about this project. With the lobby expansion being constructed in phases, I'm hoping that we see some major changes in about two years. It's unfortunate that we have to wait 5 years to see it all complete but after watching the video I see why this will take so long. 

• Like 4

Kind of airportish related, I recently flew in on the Lufthansa A350, great plane, and noticed another Lufthansa plane sitting close to the A Concourse.  Any idea on why another Lufthansa plane would be parked in CLT?

The airport does seem to grow each time I fly, which is only a few times per year.  My family from upstate SC was amazed at how large CLT is and what is to come, they were very impressed........until the 10 mile long security line.

Edited by CLT_sc