Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

21 hours ago, CLT> said:

D sticks around, E goes away, and we're talking 2035 or later...

S-APS-Charlotte-Douglas-International-Airport.thumb.jpg.4f78fc860d6b7f3d278e294621220a0f.jpg

Any idea on timing for the 5th parallel runway?

From the image, it looks like a clone of the new “A” concourse could be built where “E” currently stands.  Is that a possibility?

2 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

From the image, it looks like a clone of the new “A” concourse could be built where “E” currently stands.  Is that a possibility?

I'm sure it could be, but having those stand parking pads for planes is crucial for schedule management and irregular operations. If you ever arrive on a very late flight into CLT there are sometimes 7-8 planes spending the night on the tarmac.

The master plan disappeared from the website with their redesign, but I believe its Post 2035 before design would start.

14 minutes ago, CLT_sc said:

The most recent, most detailed description of the plans that I know of is the Master Plan Update: Phase 1 (Airport Capacity Enhancement Plan) from 2016. It was available on the airport website, but since the site was updated the link appears to have been broken. Anyway, both of those questions have answers in that document.

4th parallel was to be completed by 2023. Decommissioning of 5/23 followed by construction of the 5th parallel runway was to happen between 2023 and 2033.

Terminal E replacement was envisioned to be a linear international concourse expansion (I'm assuming with ability to expand further like A North) and that would be well out into the future beyond 2025.

I'm sure the timelines and designs have already changed and will change some more over the next decade.

Airfield Phase 2.JPG

Terminal Phase 7.JPG

• Like 4

On 6/30/2019 at 5:44 PM, LKN704 said:

IIRC long term plans are to convert C2-C4-C6 into "swing gates" that have a sterile corridor leading to the CBP area, but that does nothing to solve current capacity issues of the CBP processing area (it would likely make it worse TBH).

I read the study and the plan is to eventually add the gates on C to international, but along with that comes an expanded customs hall. What I was referring to was a temporary conversion of two gates on A with a small CBP processing area below them (Gates C-2 and 4 were this way before D Concourse was built.)

I think the expansion of CBP hall and the tunnel from C to D are slated to begin construction in 2021.

• Like 1

So I think the general consensus is the airport will likely be under perpetual construction for the majority (or for some of you, the remainder) of our lives? Sweet. By the time all this is said and done it probably will be time for another refresh. Perpetual construction. 

• Like 2

I took the new AA flight from CLT to MUC Monday this week and the flight was very full.  It's nice that it has a premium economy section.  The time can be a nice bonus or big drawback.  Leaves CLT at 3:45pm and arrives in Munich at 6:30am.  So depending on where you are going, you will likely arrive quite early in the morning, which is great if you have plans to maximize your time.  It however sucks if you are hoping to go straight to the hotel and shower/nap.  I had to go into the office and work for 4 hours or so until I could check into my hotel and pass out as I had a screaming infant on my flight and got zero sleep.

That said, if you have never flown Lufthansa and have European travels, this is a much easier trip than going through London on AA.  I only had 1:15 between connecting  flights and I was still sitting around in Munich with more than enough time to not worry.  Immigration and "Security-recheck" took me 3 seconds vs the typical hour in Heathrow.  

But...if you have flown Lufthansa premium economy, you wouldn't be switching to AA anytime soon.  Food and  service are still above AA.  But as I was doing...chasing AA status and miles, it is a much easier option for Central and Eastern Europe than connecting through Heathrow. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

I took the new AA flight from CLT to MUC Monday this week and the flight was very full.  It's nice that it has a premium economy section.  The time can be a nice bonus or big drawback.  Leaves CLT at 3:45pm and arrives in Munich at 6:30am.  So depending on where you are going, you will likely arrive quite early in the morning, which is great if you have plans to maximize your time.  It however sucks if you are hoping to go straight to the hotel and shower/nap.  I had to go into the office and work for 4 hours or so until I could check into my hotel and pass out as I had a screaming infant on my flight and got zero sleep.

That said, if you have never flown Lufthansa and have European travels, this is a much easier trip than going through London on AA.  I only had 1:15 between connecting  flights and I was still sitting around in Munich with more than enough time to not worry.  Immigration and "Security-recheck" took me 3 seconds vs the typical hour in Heathrow.  

But...if you have flown Lufthansa premium economy, you wouldn't be switching to AA anytime soon.  Food and  service are still above AA.  But as I was doing...chasing AA status and miles, it is a much easier option for Central and Eastern Europe than connecting through Heathrow. 

Glad to hear AA is full.  I recently flew on Lufthansa (the A350 was full) to Munich and I agree, for connecting to other parts of Europe, I would take Lufthansa.  Even if there is a direct flight from Charlotte, I would strongly consider Lufthansa and fly premium economy.  I signed up for Lufthansa’s rewards program for that reason. 

• Like 2

This was discussed before, but the Carolinas Aviation Museum will be closing on July 14th, so only a few more days left. They're planning on reopening at a new location in 2022. Their current location is planned to be re-purposed for private aviation needs.

Edited by TCLT
clarification
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Where is the new location for Carolinas Aviation Museum as it is a great museum.  

5139 Eaton Cir, Charlotte, NC 28208 https://maps.app.goo.gl/hn9JDbbXX3pLsYbU8

I wish they could do it here. I feel it to be a very visible location with easy access to both 85 and 77 via BG. It's a bigger lot allowing for bigger aircraft/ displays, still right by the airport for aircraft that still need to be flown in, and interstates for those to be drove in. But the biggest is visibility.

Thousands of people drive right by here leaving the airport every week. It could easily be the first or last touristy thing one could do arriving/ leaving Charlotte. Heck, it's an easier location  to get to than the current, somewhat hidden location, that I feel more of us locals could bring our kids. Unfortunately I think there already are plans for this site. 

Uptown would definitely be cool, but I think would suck from a logistical standpoint. 

Edited by 11 HouseBZ
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, 11 HouseBZ said:

5139 Eaton Cir, Charlotte, NC 28208 https://maps.app.goo.gl/hn9JDbbXX3pLsYbU8

... Unfortunately I think there already are plans for this site.  

The 5th parallel runway is going to go right through there if/when it ever gets built. Although maybe it can be tucked into whatever space is left between the runway and Billy Graham.

• Like 1

20-30 years out, is the long term goal to have a series of parallel satellite concourses a la ATL/DEN/CVG/IAD?  I thought the goal of extending both B and C in that manner was so that you could eventually join them together in the center to form a parallel island concourse in between the main terminal building and the hammerhead satellite. I know Jerry discussed doing this but I haven't heard anything about it nor seen any plans ever since he left.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, LKN704 said:

20-30 years out, is the long term goal to have a series of parallel satellite concourses a la ATL/DEN/CVG/IAD?  I thought the goal of extending both B and C in that manner was so that you could eventually join them together in the center to form a parallel island concourse in between the main terminal building and the hammerhead satellite. I know Jerry discussed doing this but I haven't heard anything about it nor seen any plans ever since he left.

This still appears somewhere, but when they updated their website all the links broke. Basically, B&C were connected and the old portions connecting B&C to the atrium were demoed, and it was A/D, a B sattelite, and the replacement for E satellite, in the Toast Rack configuration you see nowadays.

Most if not all of the shops/restaurants for the new East Terminal Expansion have been announced.

https://www.charlottefive.com/shake-shack-clt-airport/

Highlights include a Shake Shack, Wicked Weed Brewery, and a second Bojangles!

Not mentioned is the already annouced Centurion Lounge.  Which will be on the top level.

Edited by CltFlyer
  • Like 4

On 7/11/2019 at 9:22 PM, LKN704 said:

I also remember reading an old interview Jerry Orr did where he discussed joining B and C extensions to make a parallel concourse, but I can't find it anymore. But while looking for that interview I did stumble across a slide deck from 2012 that was posted in this thread. It showed the connection of B and C, two additional parallel concourses instead of the one on current plans, and a very different location for the 5th runway. This was also when A North was planned as a new international concourse, and I haven't seen any recent plans with a connected B and C, so I'd assume the current plan is to leave the existing B and C concourses as is with the planned extensions.

On 5/18/2012 at 1:49 PM, southslider said:

Anyone interested in the phasing or long-term plans should check out Jerry Orr's recent presentation to ULI:

http://www.slideshare.net/virtualuli/jerry-orr

Edit: I actually think this might be the interview I was thinking of, but I can't find a way to access the full article.

Edited by TCLT

1 hour ago, JFerreira91 said:

Pret... meh!

They're everywhere here in London, but I wouldn't spend my money in there, unless you like to eat fridge-temperature sandwiches.

Is this the only store they have in Charlotte?

Yes, it is their only Charlotte store. This chain has a limited US presence.  Almost all of their stores are in the Washington DC, Philadelphia, New York City, Boston, and Chicago metro areas. Their only stores outside those areas are at CLT, LAX, and Las Vegas airports. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JFerreira91 said:

Pret... meh!

They're everywhere here in London, but I wouldn't spend my money in there, unless you like to eat fridge-temperature sandwiches.

Is this the only store they have in Charlotte?

The coffee I got a Pret in Heathrow was the worst coffee  I think I have ever paid for!   I know the English like their tea best but this was gross. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1