Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

I completely agree with your points about the MIA adds, and also wouldn't be surprised to see previously suspended routes to South America come back. I also have to think that AA is going to be rethinking running A319s and MAXes on some of the longer flights and B763s in general because those aren't competitive products.

37 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

If I understand correctly, the extra slot AA had acquired (from Finnair?) and was assumed to be for the third daily CLT-LHR service is now being used on BOS-LHR. 

This seems to be the best guess. Disappointing that CLT won't get that additional service.

38 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

personally cannot understand BOS-LHR. AA served the route for several years with a daylight flight and then alternating between one and two daily evening flights. Flights were originally scheduled with an A300 then shifted to a 777 but being downgraded to a 763/757 and then discontinued outright in favor of BA operating the service altogether. There are now more flights from BOS to LHR than ever before, and I wonder if this is designed to take a strike at DL/Virgin Atlantic on BOS-LHR.  Puzzling to me that they would resume the service outright with a 777, but I guess that is where they have the most slack in the fleet.

The last time AA flew this route was before the immunized joint venture with BA, before adding US Airway's BOS presence with the merger, used aircraft with less efficient seat layouts, and BOS international demand has certainly grown in the past decade.  So the conditions should be much more favorable for the flight now. I think this addition (as well as Delta's add of BOS-LGW) is aimed more at making JetBlue's upcoming foray into transatlantic service much more difficult than it is at competing against the other network carrier alliance.  And the most likely reason for choosing the 777-200 is that it's the most common type for AA at LHR right now. Using it allows the aircraft to be routed to swap from and to other hubs over LHR. So the plane could do something like JFK-LHR-BOS-LHR-LAX-LHR-JFK to maximize utilization and avoid having to run a domestic widebody flight to BOS to position the plane. It may also end up allowing AA to run the 777 as a domestic transcon between LAX and BOS if they are looking to add a more premium product to the route. LAX-BOS-LHR-LAX for example, and if this new BOS-LHR flight is run as a daytime flight that 777 could operate a redeye LAX-BOS. It'll add flexibility to what AA is able to do with the schedule.

50 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

The PR states that more seasonal extensions are planned soon, so maybe CLT will get an extension.

Nice catch! I missed this detail.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TCLT said:

This seems to be the best guess. Disappointing that CLT won't get that additional service.

The slot pair was going to be CLT, it was supposed to be the third daily London that I have insinuated to in the past. 

Though my guess is that they're using the pair for BOS, as there is no space for another A330 in the summer. I hope we see some seasonal service window extensions though. We desperately need more INTL gates and FIS space, when we get those we'll get a third London and more Euro. 

Edited by CLT704
  • Like 1

I still don't believe that Deep South America flights would come back.

Business travelers prefer double-redeye flights to the region (flight departs USA in the late evening, arrives in South America the following morning....return flight departs South America in the evening, arrives in USA the following morning), and will go so far out of their way to avoid daylight flights. Some of you may recall that US originally had the GRU-CLT flight to be a daylight flight. These double-redeye flights are extremely inefficient for airlines as they tie up two aircraft to operate just one route, as opposed to a flight to say Paris, where AA can simply turn the aircraft. Instead, the aircraft sits on the ground all day in GRU. Because of that, the economics really have to be there to make the flight work. 

34 minutes ago, TCLT said:

. I think this addition (as well as Delta's add of BOS-LGW) is aimed more at making JetBlue's upcoming foray into transatlantic service much more difficult than it is at competing against the other network carrier alliance.  And the most likely reason for choosing the 777-200 is that it's the most common type for AA at LHR right now. Using it allows the aircraft to be routed to swap from and to other hubs over LHR. So the plane could do something like JFK-LHR-BOS-LHR-LAX-LHR-JFK to maximize utilization and avoid having to run a domestic widebody flight to BOS to position the plane. It may also end up allowing AA to run the 777 as a domestic transcon between LAX and BOS if they are looking to add a more premium product to the route

I'm not saying that your thinking is wrong, as I am no expert and do not work for the airline industry, but it is my  understanding that yields on the BOS-European market (especially LON) are absolutely trash. Sure, capacity may have grown but the yields suck. I doubt AA cares about B6's entry into BOS-LON. They had the chance to defend BOS against B6 years ago and chose to walk away (then again, AA's financial position was horrible at the time so they likely could not defend the focus city, but still. 

AA attempted to add a premium product onto BOS-LAX this past year introducing the A321T 3-class product onto the route. It failed miserably. Granted, AA's product on the route is terrible in comparison to UA/B6/DL, all of whom guarantee J flat bed seats and AVOD/PTVs at every seat. AA simply uses domestic A321 equipment. 

• Thanks 1

Well the good news is that if/when new gate space arrives for wide body aircraft, British Airways could potentially provide the service rather than a Third AA trip.  I think if AA would have used the slot pair for  CLT-LHR, there would be virtually zero hope for ever seeing British Airways return to Charlotte.  At least now there is a chance that the rumored third daily could be on BA metal.

• Like 2

Had a family member fly CLT-MUC the other day in Business, and LH Business pax are no longer able to use the Admirals Club. They used to be able to per an agreement between AA/LH IIRC, but that appears that has ended. Business passengers (and those with frequent flyer status) were given $15 food vouchers to use at concessions in the terminal.

That seems tacky IMO, especially if LH is going to be re-introducing First class next summer when they resume A346 service.  As I had mentioned before, in a perfect world, I would like to see UA open up a United Club that LH pax could ultimately use.

8 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Had a family member fly CLT-MUC the other day in Business, and LH Business pax are no longer able to use the Admirals Club. They used to be able to per an agreement between AA/LH IIRC, but that appears that has ended. Business passengers (and those with frequent flyer status) were given $15 food vouchers to use at concessions in the terminal.

That seems tacky IMO, especially if LH is going to be re-introducing First class next summer when they resume A346 service.  As I had mentioned before, in a perfect world, I would like to see UA open up a United Club that LH pax could ultimately use.

I have noticed that AA has become extremely stingy with Admirals Club entry over the last year or so. 

18 hours ago, cltbwimob said:

Well the good news is that if/when new gate space arrives for wide body aircraft, British Airways could potentially provide the service rather than a Third AA trip.  I think if AA would have used the slot pair for  CLT-LHR, there would be virtually zero hope for ever seeing British Airways return to Charlotte.  At least now there is a chance that the rumored third daily could be on BA metal.

I like your view on this. I agree 100% in that there still is a slot for BA to add a 3rd daily, especially when AA gets those 7 gates in A!!

22 minutes ago, a2theb said:

I have noticed that AA has become extremely stingy with Admirals Club entry over the last year or so. 

AA also flies CLT - Munich as well and competes directly against Lufthansa. By canceling the agreement, AA is able to offer their own lounge in Charlotte and a partner lounge (Airport World Lounge) in Munich, thus trying to differentiate and offer a better product than Lufthansa. There isn't much incentive for them to let Lufthansa passengers in any more. 

Edited by CLT2014

2 hours ago, a2theb said:

Maybe it's the popularity of their AAdvantage card with the $450 annual fee that allows cardholders and authorized users access to the lounge?  IMO it's hard to find an Admirals Club that isn't packed these days unless traveling odd hours

Edited by SouthEndCLT811

On 10/1/2019 at 10:49 AM, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Maybe it's the popularity of their AAdvantage card with the $450 annual fee that allows cardholders and authorized users access to the lounge?  IMO it's hard to find an Admirals Club that isn't packed these days unless traveling odd hours

I'm just excited that the Centurion Lounge is coming to CLT next year, and not only that, it's going to be one of the largest.  Given where the others are located, that's a huge get for CLT.  

IMHO the AA lounges have been packed since forever; standing up at ORD to have a beer was SOP even ten years ago depending on day and time, so.....

I wonder if the prospects have changed for AS starting service to CLT now that AA/AS are effectively ending their partnership sans a few codeshare routes, I wonder if the market in CLT has changed for AS. 

I know that AS has looked at adding CLT-SEA multiple times but determined it wasn’t financially worth it with AA on the route. I wonder if this changes things. 

If I were an AS frequent flyer in the PNW, I’d be pretty upset at these changes. I recall that around 10-15 ago, AS partnered with CO/NW/DL/AA and it was relatively easy for AS frequent flyers to basically get anywhere codeshare wise and award ticket wise. 

Then again, as AS has expanded East and other carriers built up their West Coast network, AA and DL have little reason to keep the AS partnership going.  

Edited by LKN704

• 2 weeks later...

I'd guess to say that the actual product will be pretty similar to the renderings, given the design they chose is pretty much the same as every major airport lobby that has been constructed in the past 5 years or so. Very easily replicated. I do wish they had the room to construct check in islands/rows. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see that orange skylight-object above the statue removed and just replaced with a regular skylight. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bruco72 said:

I'll never for the life of me understand why so many people deal with this mess when picking people up rather than just using the hourly deck, which is free for the first 60 minutes. That's the only way I will pick people up from the airport.  

they are afraid Aunt Mabel or Grandpa might get lost.  Until that time  you are right and I have done a pick up in the short term garage via the cell phone lot.  anyway this will be remedied soon with the 8 lane arrivals roadway.  

• Like 1

Just now, Miesian Corners said:

We had a KK in the food court when it first opened in the mid-90s (current cinnabon space). Not sure why it closed.

Yes I do remember that.  Probably a bad franchisee.   Maybe we could get one to replace one of the many Starbucks LOL. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

Yes I do remember that.  Probably a bad franchisee.   Maybe we could get one to replace one of the many Starbucks LOL. 

Since we're the HQ, sounds like we need a KK and a cookie joint in the airport.

Is all of old A now open? When I flew out two weeks ago, the construction walls were still up in the middle of the concourse.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bruco72 said:

I'll never for the life of me understand why so many people deal with this mess when picking people up rather than just using the hourly deck, which is free for the first 60 minutes. That's the only way I will pick people up from the airport.  

Same reason most people circle the first level of the parking deck at the midtown Trader Joe's multiple times rather than going up one level, or can't bring themselves to get out of a line 50 cars deep at Chick Fil A to walk 80 feet to get their 1,250 calorie lunch.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2