Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

2 hours ago, Bruco72 said:

I'll never for the life of me understand why so many people deal with this mess when picking people up rather than just using the hourly deck, which is free for the first 60 minutes. That's the only way I will pick people up from the airport.  

Even quicker, just have people pick you up from the Departures Level instead of the Arrivals Level. That's what we always do.

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

1. yet another Starbucks has opened at the junction of the old A and new A wing   (there is literally a Starbucks every 50 feet or so in this airport)

I did a count, and I believe there are now 12:

1) A North; 2) A Connector; 3) B Gates; 4) A/B Hallway in Atrium; 5) Ticketing Lobby; 6) Atrium-Near C Gates; 7) C Gates; 8) D/E Connector; 9)D Gates; 10) E Rotunda; 11) High E Gates, and 12) Baggage Hall

One can assume one will likely open in the A Phase II expansion bringing the count to 13. 

With more airports putting an emphasis on "local" restaurants and shops, I wish we could bring a bakery/cafe to the airport, I think Amelies would do amazing at CLT. Personally I hate Starbucks (I love flying out of LAX/SFO as they usually have the Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf or Peets, which are 100% better IMHO) but I understand the familiarity the brand provides to travelers. 

On a different note, I really like the UNC Charlotte ads at the airport, but the "We are all Niners" is a bit confusing IMO to travelers. Most people have no idea what UNCC is, let alone what the 49ers/Niners are.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, LKN704 said:

What is the purpose of those LCD screens over the moving walkways connecting the Main Terminal with A North? They have never displayed anything other than the CLT logo.

My guess would be directional signs for gate numbers of the future A concourses which are going to be expanded out that way.  

• Like 1

On 10/24/2019 at 11:15 AM, csweet said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/10/23/photos-another-clt-project-nears-completion-paving.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

Now that this is wrapping up this month, can we get pumped for this lobby expansion to kick off?

Now if only CLT could construct a new terminal in less than five years...but no, it'll not be open until 2024. :tw_grimace:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

Now if only CLT could construct a new terminal in less than five years...but no, it'll not be open until 2024. :tw_grimace:

To be fair the lobby is far more complicated than a new concourse, the baggage systems, baggage claim area, and ticket counters all have to remain operational during construction. But I also assume low bid means they account for a bit more time in the schedule.

2 hours ago, kickazzz2000 said:

So the new roadways are open. 

Traffic is backed up as bad as it ever has been, upstairs and down. 

money well spent.

The person I drove to CLT today commented that "it felt like Mexico City." It was a Friday afternoon, but it did feel more chaotic than usual.

Edited by kermit

5 hours ago, kickazzz2000 said:

So the new roadways are open. 

Traffic is backed up as bad as it ever has been, upstairs and down. 

money well spent.

The new roadways aren't fully open until October 31. Traffic will be even worse during this interim shift where shuttle buses share the same exact curb as cars. Once the curbs split again and 8 lanes with two separate curbs are available, things should improve.

The airport had announced:

"Private and commercial vehicles (shuttles/buses) will share the five public lanes Oct. 24 – Oct. 31. The separation will occur at 5 a.m. Oct. 31 when commercial vehicles will shift to the three new lower level lanes. The current public lower level roadway will close in preparation for the Terminal Lobby Expansion project."

• Like 3

^ never thought CLT was weird. I’ve seen sniffer dogs in lots of other airports, most often in the departures lobby (before security), at PDX I tend to see them beside gates.

Edit: now I feel kinda like Ray Liotta’s character at the end of goodfellas.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dale said:

Yeah, CLT is the only airport I’ve seen them use a dog in the TSA queue.

That would be a good place to monitor people. You haven't cleared security yet or been scanned for weapons. You could just walk in an airport lobby a'la Brussels Airport and blow hundreds of people up so it makes sense to be monitoring the TSA que more than post-security where everybody has already been sterilized.

Edited by CLT2014