Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

2 minutes ago, Phillydog said:

Does anyone know the reason why there's no airport hotel at CLT?  Is it the only major airport in the US without one?  

Thanks.

Airports with a hotel not connected to the terminals:

LAX
Seattle
Las Vegas
Newark Marriott -> on "official" airport property, but still requires a shuttle bus
Phoenix
Fort Lauderdale

17 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

LAX
Seattle
Las Vegas
Newark Marriott -> on "official" airport property, but still requires a shuttle bus
Phoenix
Fort Lauderdale

Thanks.  I considered LAX hotels "on site" because there are majors immediately adjacent, but the standard is, correctly, "connected".   Thanks.

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Phillydog said:

Thanks.  I considered LAX hotels "on site" because there are majors immediately adjacent, but the standard is, correctly, "connected".   Thanks.

Yeah Charlotte's airport hotels are in the LAX format where the Sheraton, Renaissance, Doubletree, et... require a 5 minute shuttle bus. 

17 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

LAX
Seattle
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Fort Lauderdale

I mean Atlanta still doesn't and its the largest in the world... They are just starting on a Hilton now.

2 hours ago, csweet said:

Flew in last night and saw the equipment being put into place at the new A gates. Is the 7 gate addition imminent? 

next time im there ill look around.

the new old "a" looked like it was almost ready to open, at least from the outside, the cones and what not have been removed on the ramp.

On 11/6/2019 at 10:01 AM, xapostrophe said:

next time im there ill look around.

the new old "a" looked like it was almost ready to open, at least from the outside, the cones and what not have been removed on the ramp.

So the South side of the old A is open, but nobody is using the gates, except Delta has one in use at the end.  Has to be expensive having all these Gates sit empty.

20191109_153111.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/9/2019 at 3:33 PM, xapostrophe said:

So the South side of the old A is open, but nobody is using the gates, except Delta has one in use at the end.  Has to be expensive having all these Gates sit empty.

The airport tweeted this morning that American is starting operations today at gates A2, A4, A6, and A8.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

I wonder if AA will assign these flights to these gates randomly, or if they would serve flights to local travelers with minimal connections (LGA/DCA/BOS, for example) given the distance away from the rest of the operation in D/E.

Doing a random search, the routes that have some of their flights departing from the A gates today (= # of flights leaving from A) seem to be largely in Central Time or further west:

LAX (2 flights)
PHX (2 flights)
SAN (1 flight)
LGA (1 flight)
DFW (3 flights)
IAH (2 flights)
ORD (2 flights)
MSP (1 flight)
MCI (1 flight)
AUS (1 flight)

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, LKN704 said:

I wonder if AA will assign these flights to these gates randomly, or if they would serve flights to local travelers with minimal connections (LGA/DCA/BOS, for example) given the distance away from the rest of the operation in D/E.

I can tell you for sure my flight to LaGuardia  (American) departed from A2 and across the walkway was a flight to JFK Airport (American or Delta it was too early to remember) 

Both departing at 6:00 am

Edited by Mgelbach

I can tell you for sure my flight to LaGuardia  (American) departed from A2 and across the walkway was a flight to JFK Airport (American or Delta it was too early to remember) 
Both departing at 6:00 am

Across the way would be Delta. They have all the gates on the north side of old A.

This week we were supposed to land on an American flight at gate A8 but wound up in the C terminal.

So, let's talk about 'C' for a second.

We get off the plane and it's dark as hell and one of the passengers says audibly "what is this Mad Max" to which my slightly crazy friend (crazier than me sometimes, which is something) screams "follow me! FOLLOW ME TO FREEDOM!!!" and runs off in the wrong direction of where we need to go next.

People behind us were - justifiably - confused as hell, and given that half the plane was connecting, half a dozen people went in the wrong direction.

I'm glad that CLT is getting upgraded, but that C terminal looks like something out of Blade Runner right now.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

I’ve wondered about this for quite some time:  can someone explain to me how we are 6th busiest in the nation and 9th in the world?  Other lists on the internet don’t have us in the top ten at all.  

Flights not passengers.  Tons of takeoffs, not so many people on those takeoffs.