Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

9 minutes ago, kickazzz2000 said:

This might make it less likely IMO. The benefits of code sharing is you can extend your reach / destinations without having to fly to a destination with your own plane. Alaska passengers based in Seattle and Portland will now have full access to Charlotte as a destination and the ability to connect through Charlotte, with Alaska not having to take the cost on of hiring gate agents, ramp crew, a gate lease, check in counter space, et... to get their frequent fliers here. They also won't have to tie up their own plane on a 5.5 hour flight. Instead American can take on that burden for them, while Alaska takes on the burden of covering destinations in the West that American doesn't serve. 

I could see American increasing frequency though from 3 flights per day to SEA to 5 flights per day and bumping Portland up to 2 times per day from 1. American already has employees in both Seattle and Charlotte, so a few more flights per day would just increase utilization of those assets (gates, check in counters, ramp crew, et.) in Seattle. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

This might make it less likely IMO. The benefits of code sharing is you can extend your reach / destinations without having to fly to a destination with your own plane. Alaska passengers based in Seattle and Portland will now have full access to Charlotte as a destination and the ability to connect through Charlotte, with Alaska not having to take the cost on of hiring gate agents, ramp crew, a gate lease, check in counter space, et... to get their frequent fliers here. They also won't have to tie up their own plane on a 5.5 hour flight. Instead American can take on that burden for them, while Alaska takes on the burden of covering destinations in the West that American doesn't serve. 

I could see American increasing frequency though from 3 flights per day to SEA to 5 flights per day and bumping Portland up to 2 times per day from 1. American already has employees in both Seattle and Charlotte, so a few more flights per day would just increase utilization of those assets (gates, check in counters, ramp crew, et.) in Seattle. 

Since it’s not necessarily a joint venture one could also argue the opposite.  Alaska would love access to the southeast and Texas markets but only indirectly benefits if AA is lifting them out of Seattle.  By mixing the daily offerings between the “hubs” both carriers benefit by providing and receiving feed.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kickazzz2000 said:

Since it’s not necessarily a joint venture one could also argue the opposite.  Alaska would love access to the southeast and Texas markets but only indirectly benefits if AA is lifting them out of Seattle.  By mixing the daily offerings between the “hubs” both carriers benefit by providing and receiving feed.  

Got it. Good insight! Thank you!

If Alaska comes, hopefully they can get some common use gate space on D or something so passengers don't have to run from A-North to the E-Concourse if connecting to AA.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

Way out of the ball park, especially because as part of the Virgin/Alaska merger a couple of years back, AA and AS were required by the DOJ to roll back some of their codeshare/frequent flyer agreements. It's not like there is more competition in the market now than in 2016.

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

Way out of the ball part, especially because as part of the Virgin/Alaska merger a couple of years back, AA and AS were required by the DOJ to roll back some of their codeshare/frequent flyer agreements. It's not like there is more competition in the market now than in 2016.

Yeah this was totally unexpected. The only meaningful difference re: approval of a codeshare relationship between now and 2016 is the leadership of DOJ, but that's probably enough for this to get through based on how the Qantas JV approval went.

Edited by TCLT

4 hours ago, LKN704 said:

I do wonder what the response from DL will be, as they have been known to "retaliate" per se when another airline suddenly launches a new route out of their turf. Recall when US announced CLT-SLC they announced that they were going to resume CLT-SLC a day later. 

Delta will announce 8-10x DFW CLT PHL ORD MIA from SEA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Delta will announce 8-10x DFW CLT PHL ORD MIA from SEA

Maybe something more subtle and less of an all out attack on AA’s home turf? Something like additional MIA flights to BNA, MCI, PIT, STL, DCA. Places where AA has historically been strong and has a large frequent flyer base to bolster Delta’s growing latam hub operation at MIA.

Either way this kind of market share war during good economic times and low oil prices is what has driven airlines to bankruptcy in the past and it seems like despite consolidation they couldn’t maintain discipline for more than a few years and are now back at it again.

12 minutes ago, TCLT said:

Maybe something more subtle and less of an all out attack on AA’s home turf? Something like additional MIA flights to BNA, MCI, PIT, STL, DCA. Places where AA has historically been strong and has a large frequent flyer base to bolster Delta’s growing latam hub operation at MIA.

Either way this kind of market share war during good economic times and low oil prices is what has driven airlines to bankruptcy in the past and it seems like despite consolidation they couldn’t maintain discipline for more than a few years and are now back at it again.

I should have used the blue text lol.

Your scenario is more likely.  

10 hours ago, TCLT said:

In a way, that is the irony of the airline industry, huge risks taken during good economic times and decisions that may not make sense, only to have everything retrench as soon as sh*t hits the fan during a recession. 

I think extending an invitation to AS for OW makes sense. I'm looking forward to their enhanced partnership, and I like the Mileage Plan program as it hasn't gone to a revenue based system (yet). What I think is crazy is this SEA-nonsense. I get the recent additions to BOS, as AA/US has a historic large marketshare and frequent flyer base there. AA has always been weak in the PNW (for years they didn't even fly PDX-ORD), so they have had to rely on AS for feed. I guess SEA-LHR makes somewhat sense given LHR is basically AA's European hub, but SEA-BLR is crazy to me. The vast majority of demand to BLR comes from SFO, followed by NYC and ORD.  DFW, BOS, and WAS also have higher demand to BLR. 

I can't a company based in SFO (who is probably loyal to UA and potentially has a contract) is going to fly SFO-SEA-BLR. Visiting Family/Friends (VRF traffic) is incredibly low-yielding and usually goes to the lowest fare, so I can't imagine the flight would be suitable for them either, unless the price is right which would ultimately drive down AA's yields.

If AA was smart, they would have launched India out of BOS. Much higher demand (at least to BLR)...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

In a way, that is the irony of the airline industry, huge risks taken during good economic times and decisions that may not make sense, only to have everything retrench as soon as sh*t hits the fan during a recession. 

I think extending an invitation to AS for OW makes sense. I'm looking forward to their enhanced partnership, and I like the Mileage Plan program as it hasn't gone to a revenue based system (yet). What I think is crazy is this SEA-nonsense. I get the recent additions to BOS, as AA/US has a historic large marketshare and frequent flyer base there. AA has always been weak in the PNW (for years they didn't even fly PDX-ORD), so they have had to rely on AS for feed. I guess SEA-LHR makes somewhat sense given LHR is basically AA's European hub, but SEA-BLR is crazy to me. The vast majority of demand to BLR comes from SFO, followed by NYC and ORD.  DFW, BOS, and WAS also have higher demand to BLR. 

I can't a company based in SFO (who is probably loyal to UA and potentially has a contract) is going to fly SFO-SEA-BLR. Visiting Family/Friends (VRF traffic) is incredibly low-yielding and usually goes to the lowest fare, so I can't imagine the flight would be suitable for them either, unless the price is right which would ultimately drive down AA's yields.

If AA was smart, they would have launched India out of BOS. Much higher demand (at least to BLR)...

SEA - Bangalore is likely a corporate contract move for Alaska and AA to secure relationships with Amazon, etc... Amazon has a massive facility in Bangalore and was directly cited by AA as a company that wanted nonstop service. There's 1,363 job openings for Amazon in Bangalore right now (the second most job openings in the company outside Seattle). 

Flights to Williamsport, PA beginning August 20th! 

Replacing the current daily AA flight to Philadelphia. 

It will be once daily on  a CRJ-700 aircraft.

https://www.northcentralpa.com/american-airlines-changes-williamsport-regional-air-service-from-philadelphia-to/article_abb37d88-533d-11ea-9167-bb2d44aaa432.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

• Like 2

On 2/19/2020 at 1:24 PM, CltFlyer said:

Flights to Williamsport, PA beginning August 20th! 

Replacing the current daily AA flight to Philadelphia. 

It will be once daily on  a CRJ-700 aircraft.

https://www.northcentralpa.com/american-airlines-changes-williamsport-regional-air-service-from-philadelphia-to/article_abb37d88-533d-11ea-9167-bb2d44aaa432.html#utm_campaign=blox&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Sexy! Always wanted to go there!!

• Haha 3