Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

8 hours ago, csweet said:

Columbia, MO is a realistic add and I think it would be successful.   AA already has multiple flights with first class service to both Chicago and Dallas. 

I suspect CLT will be added, but it will likely be a few months before an announcement.  Given that they still have to negotiate a contract and get it passed by city council. 

Unsure what the AA management team has been smoking recently, but AA recently announced an expansion of their partnership with QR and is reportedly exploring starting DOH service with their own metal.

Personally I can't see AA starting DOH services sans for maybe an additional DFW-DOH on their own metal. DOH has very little O/D traffic, it is all about connecting traffic. Although unlikely, it would be cool for CLT to get DOH service...it is the largest AA hub now to not have DOH service. I'm no expert, but CLT-DOH should technically be possible with our runway length, but although it might be pushing it. CLT-DOH is roughly 400~ miles longer than a hypothetical CLT-TYO flight and would probably have a Outbound/Eastbound block time of 13h00m.

Hopefully this puts an end to the silly US3/ME3 nonsense, at least from AA.

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Unsure what the AA management team has been smoking recently, but AA recently announced an expansion of their partnership with QR and is reportedly exploring starting DOH service with their own metal.

Personally I can't see AA starting DOH services sans for maybe an additional DFW-DOH on their own metal. DOH has very little O/D traffic, it is all about connecting traffic. Although unlikely, it would be cool for CLT to get DOH service...it is the largest AA hub now to not have DOH service. I'm no expert, but CLT-DOH should technically be possible with our runway length, but although it might be pushing it. CLT-DOH is roughly 400~ miles longer than a hypothetical CLT-TYO flight and would probably have a Outbound/Eastbound block time of 13h00m.

Hopefully this puts an end to the silly US3/ME3 nonsense, at least from AA.II

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2020/02/25/american-airlines-makes-peace-with-qatar-and-foresees-longhaul-flying-to-doha-africa-and-india/#405e87e428ee

Well there goes that idea.   Unusual to specifically  pinpoint a hub like that.  The widebody comment is somewhat encouraging, but is very vague at the the same time.  Intentional or not, however, I do like that he didn't specifically narrow it down to Europe.   

"Regarding the Doha flight, Raja said the originating city could be any one of a number of cities that include American hubs and Seattle. He said Charlotte is not a candidate, but will get more widebody international service “with some future development” that involves relieving congestion on the tarmac, where too few gates can accommodate widebody aircraft."

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2020/02/25/american-airlines-makes-peace-with-qatar-and-foresees-longhaul-flying-to-doha-africa-and-india/#405e87e428ee

Well there goes that idea.   Unusual to specifically  pinpoint a hub like that.  The widebody comment is somewhat encouraging, but is very vague at the the same time.  Intentional or not, however, I do like that he didn't specifically narrow it down to Europe.   

"Regarding the Doha flight, ... He said Charlotte is not a candidate, but will get more widebody international service “with some future development” that involves relieving congestion on the tarmac, where too few gates can accommodate widebody aircraft."

Can this be blamed on a lack of long-term foresight and planning and running CLT on the (dirt) cheap for years?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, davidclt said:

Can this be blamed on a lack of long-term foresight and planning and running CLT on the (dirt) cheap for years?

Yes.  Plain and simple.    Customs should exist in other concourses.  The ramp area is way too small. That's why the taxi times are excessive.  We've got a while before any meaningful expansion comes.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Fox News is reporting our air traffic control tower I presume the new one is being evacuated due to smoke and or fire.

I guess it is out or over now but it did require a groundstop.

CLT Airport

@CLTAirport

·

9m

There was an equipment issue inside the FAA Tower. Operations are impacted and there may be some delays. Please check with your airline on the status of your flight.

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fox News is reporting our air traffic control tower I presume the new one is being evacuated due to smoke and or fire.
I guess it is out or over now but it did require a groundstop.
CLT Airport
@CLTAirport
·
9m
There was an equipment issue inside the FAA Tower. Operations are impacted and there may be some delays. Please check with your airline on the status of your flight.

News stories aren’t specifying which tower, but the new tower isn’t operational yet so any issue there shouldn’t cause a ground stop or flight delays.

1 hour ago, TCLT said:

News stories aren’t specifying which tower, but the new tower isn’t operational yet so any issue there shouldn’t cause a ground stop or flight delays.

Per a friend who works in the tower, non event.  Small fire, contained.  Operations resumed within an hour.   News of course is blowing it out of proportion.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AA's seasonal CLT - Rome flight is still scheduled to begin on March 28, however Rome is currently included in the travel waiver AA has through March 15. Assuming cases continue to get worse in Italy, I wouldn't be surprised to see the waiver extended into April, many customer to accept the waiver, and some of the seasonal service to be delayed / canceled. No way there will be enough demand for CLT, ORD, JFK, PHL, and DFW to Rome if this keeps up. 

American and Delta have both suspended service to Milan as a result of the outbreak due to low demand and safety. Many of their Asian routes are also canceled and the jumbo jets are operating hub to hub flights domestically. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't think it is structurally possible, but I do wish there was a way they could add some natural light to the FIS area. 

While it makes sense to me to construct the head house at this stage (given that once Phase II is complete every carrier other than LH/AA will have moved), that percent increase seems quite low to me. Considering they will be constructing a brand new concourse wing, plus a headhouse with ticketing+bag claim+security+airline offices, etc, and redesign the roadway to allow access to the terminal, I fail to see how they will accomplish this for only 50% more than Phase I.

I can't wait to see design proposals for the space. IIRC, plans called for a split level facility with 3-4 bag claims on the ground level, and then a check in level with island/row-style check in desks. 

• Like 1

^ Did the airport put out an announcement like that the day before like Spirit? I’m hoping for something big but if the airport did that for spirit I’ll be disappointed. 

Potential: 

-Alaska to Pacific Northwest (doesn’t seem that big).

-BA to Heathrow (although wrong time of year) 

-Aer Lingus to Dublin (see above for LHR)

-AA to South America again (right time for a winter start but weird timing re travel slowdown) 

-Qatar to Doha (Raja said no to Doha service but maybe he meant just no to AA serving it? Unlikely but I’ll write it down)

Edited by CLT704
  • Like 1

I don't recall a similar announcement for Spirit, and if the news was truly "BIG" I can't see it being for an announcement for a single domestic flight to Seattle. 

Raja has hinted at more international service but repeatedly said it wasn't possible at present due to gate space/FIS crowding. I am going to guess it is probably either several new American Eagle routes and/or the increase of frequency of several other routes to allow for 750 flights. 

I can't see GOL being the catalyst to have AA restart CLT-South America, when they were partnering with LAN/LATAM/TAM before DL took the LATAM rug out from underneath AA's feet. 

Is the travel slowdown causing that much of a ruckus outside of Italy/China? I am going to Hong Kong and Singapore on the 13th with some friends and none of us are the least bit apprehensive about it.